Seeking 12-mile ruck march advice

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

Greg700 wrote:If you are trying to really maximize your time rather than just meet the standard you will probably have to run.

When I do a ruck-run I run (not just a jog, but a flat out run) the downhills and I jog the flats. I usually end up walking the uphills to give myself a break because I am no super stud.

With 35 pounds you should be able to do this without too much trouble and it may help prevent blisters if you get those really nasty ones on your heels.

Of course, there are lots of people who say never to run with a ruck...
Here is one of your other qoutes:
Greg700 wrote: I don't have a whole lot of experience but for the last couple months I have been fighting blisters of all kinds. For the small ones on the backs of my heels and on the tops of my feet I use Band-Aid Blisters. You can get them at wal-mart. They are the only thing I have found that will actually stay put when I have to march soaking wet. They won't work for big blisters, but for anything smaller than a dime they are great.

Well Einstien, you ever wonder why that happened, not to mention all the damage to your back and knees.
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Greg700 wrote:If you are trying to really maximize your time rather than just meet the standard you will probably have to run.

When I do a ruck-run I run (not just a jog, but a flat out run) the downhills and I jog the flats. I usually end up walking the uphills to give myself a break because I am no super stud.

With 35 pounds you should be able to do this without too much trouble and it may help prevent blisters if you get those really nasty ones on your heels.

Of course, there are lots of people who say never to run with a ruck...
Running down the hill's can cause you to lose your balance and bust your ass, your feet also hit harder on the ground, not a good idea if you ask me.

If your going to pick up the pace do it on the flats and up hill.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
T0000009

Post by T0000009 »

Kilted Heathen wrote:The Franklin Mint is currently at work on the co-memerative coin. Place your orders early to avoid the holiday rush! :D
Now thers sone sound advice.

Silverback, I've never heard of laxity in the the knee joint problems you mentioned happening. Does it happen only if you have existing knee problems??
Slims

Post by Slims »

Sorry Rangers, I should have known better than to give advice based on only a few months service. It won't happen again.

Greg
T0000009

Post by T0000009 »

Greg700 wrote:Sorry Rangers, I should have known better than to give advice based on only a few months service. It won't happen again.

Greg

Somehow I think that is highly unlikely.
Gratefulhog
Embryo

Post by Gratefulhog »

Thanks to all for the great information. I'm taking my shot at the SLC at age 41. With a little luck, I'll be at least 10 years older than anyone else in my class. It will be lead from the front, no spotlighting authorized and take my "brick to the face every 15 minutes" with a "Thank you, Sapper Leader, may I have another?". 8) Thanks again to all!
A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. -- Vince Lombardi

Return to “About Army Physical Training”