Clarification on events after RIP

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
GetSetToJet
Embryo

Clarification on events after RIP

Post by GetSetToJet »

I talked to a recruiter today and I'm now slightly confused. He started by admitting that the person who was much more qualified to talk to me about the path to becoming a Ranger was not there that day. But, he made it sound as if you graduate from basic, then AIT, then Airborne. And here is where it gets fuzzy.
He made it sound as if after RIP you are assigned and then almost immediately shipped out to Ranger School if they believe you are ready, (his exact words were, sometimes you just walk back across the street). I believed from what I have read here that you first serve for 6 or more months in the Battalion before you get the chance to go to Ranger School. Considering I haven't read anything on these forums about changes, I assume he was slightly mis-informed???

Which brings me to the second part. At this point from my readings on this site it seems like in these first months with the Battalion you undergo a lot of training and intensive PT. However, with the current war on terrorism in Afghanistan and Iraq will the first months with the Battalion most likely be spent serving in one of these two countries, or do they make the new Rangers to the Battalion stay and build up through training before allowing them to deploy?

Rangers, thank you for any clarification you can give to me.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Quit now and save yourself the pain!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Bell

Post by Bell »

You've pretty much got it all figured out yourself. Thanks for doing some research.

The path is basic/ait, or OSUT, then Airborne School, then RIP. If you make it all the way you will be assigned to a Ranger Battalion. Finally, you'll reach your designated duty station. You've now completed most of your contract with the US Army. All you have to do now is stay in the Army for the length of time you signed for.

Ranger School will come when your NCO's think you're ready and you have the time to do it. The intense training and PT doesn't let up after the first few months. Being a Ranger is intense. You have to train constantly to be the best.

As far as deployments goes....don't worry about it. You'll figure that out when you get there. Actually, you'll be told what to do and you'll do it with pride in your heart and to the best of your ability because that's what Rangers do.

Does this clarify?

RLTW
Bell
GetSetToJet
Embryo

Post by GetSetToJet »

Many thanks for the clarification Ranger Bell. I do believe I've got it now.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

GetSetToJet wrote:Many thanks for the clarification Ranger Bell. I do believe I've got it now.
You know something GetSetToJet. We stress using the search feature on this site for a reason. That reason is so Rangers and Veterans of this site don't have waste their time answering a question that has been answered numerous times in the past. If you would have actually don't some research you would have found that information, that topic has been discussed a hundred times over.

Now shut up and do your own research.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “About RASP”