Moderator: Site Admin

RTO
BANNED

Top 20 Baseball Players of All Time

Post by RTO »

Number 20

Jackie Robinson (1947-1956)
Position: Second Baseman
Greatest Moment: Stepping onto a major league field for the first time on April 15, 1947.
Why he's one of the greatest: Robinson makes this list, in part, because of his stats. He helped the Brooklyn Dodgers win six National League pennants in 10 years. Robinson also helped the Dodgers finally bring the World Series title to Ebbets Field in 1955. In 1949, he led the league in hitting (.342) and steals (37) en route to winning the Most Valuable Player award.

All of that is great, but Robinson's greatest achievement is breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball. His excellence on the field, as well as his handling of intolerant fans, helped pave the way for countless others to follow in his footsteps. In 1997, all MLB teams retired his No. 42 to honor his accomplishments.

Number 19

Mark McGwire (1986-2001)
Position: First Baseman
Greatest Moment: Hitting home run No. 62 in St. Louis on September 8, 1998.
Why he's one of the greatest: McGwire first entered the national radar screen in 1987 with the Oakland Athletics. Many people thought he'd break Roger Maris' single-season home run record that year. However, he hit 49 home runs, falling short of Maris' 61. Eleven years later, McGwire shattered the home run record as a St. Louis Cardinal, hitting home run No. 70 on the final day of the season.

The following year, McGwire racked up 65 homers and 147 RBI. He retired after the 2001 season, and his career totals include 583 home runs and a slugging percentage of .588. McGwire is almost certain to be a first-ballot inductee into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Number 18

Lou Gehrig (1923-1939)
Position: First Baseman
Greatest Moment: His farewell speech to fans on July 4, 1939 at Yankee Stadium.
Why he's one of the greatest: Gehrig was "The Iron Horse," playing in 2,130 consecutive games, a streak that stretched from 1925 to 1939. He teamed with Babe Ruth to form the most devastating hitting tandem ever. Gehrig helped the New York Yankees win six titles in 13 years.

He had longevity and consistency, scoring 100 runs and driving in 100 RBIs over 13 consecutive seasons. In 1931, Gehrig set an American League record with 184 RBIs. His 23 career grand slams earned him another place in baseball's record book. Gehrig won the Triple Crown in 1934. The devastating illness ALS, also referred to as Lou Gehrig's Disease, cut his career and life short.

Number 17

Cal Ripken, Jr. (1981-2001)
Position: Shortstop
Greatest Moment: Playing in consecutive game No. 2,131 on September 6, 1995.
Why he's one of the greatest: Ripken is baseball's contemporary "Iron Horse," having played in 2,632 straight games between 1982 and 1998. He also put together another impressive streak, starting in the All-Star Game every year from 1984 to 2001; he was named the Most Valuable Player in two of those games (1991, 2001). The 1982 AL Rookie of the Year was also a two-time regular season AL MVP (1983, 1991).

Ripken is a member of the 3,000 hit club. He played in 3,001 games, stepping up to the plate 11,551 times. From here, he hit more home runs than any other shortstop in MLB history.

Number 16

Carl Yastrzemski (1961-1983)
Position: Leftfielder
Greatest Moment: Going 7-for-8 in a doubleheader to help the Red Sox beat the Twins twice and win the AL pennant on the last day of the season.
Why he's one of the greatest: Yaz is a legend in Boston, having played his entire 23-year career with the Red Sox. During those years, he played in an AL record 3,308 games, and exceeded the prestigious marks of 3,000 hits and 400 home runs. The three-time AL batting champ was the last hitter to win the Triple Crown; he took that honor and the MVP award in 1967. Yastrzemski led the Sox to the World Series that year. The season ended in disappointment, however, as the Cardinals took the Series.

Number 15

George Brett (1973-1993)
Position: Third Baseman
Greatest Moment: The infamous "pine tar incident" in 1983.
Why he's one of the greatest: Brett wore a Kansas City Royals uniform for his entire career. The 13-time AL All-Star is the only player with more than 3,000 hits, 300 home runs, 600 doubles, 100 triples, and 200 stolen bases. In addition, he's the only player to win batting titles in three different decades (1976, 1980, 1990).

Brett had a banner year in 1980. He hit .390 en route to winning the batting championship and the MVP award. Brett led the Royals to the World Series that season, where they lost to the Philadelphia Phillies. He got his championship ring five years later, when the Royals beat the Cardinals in the Fall Classic.

Number 14

Mike Schmidt (1972-1989)
Position: Third Baseman
Greatest Moment: Hitting four home runs against the Chicago Cubs on April 17, 1976.
Why he's one of the greatest: The longtime Philadelphia Phillies third baseman was one of the greatest sluggers ever to play in the majors. He hit 548 home runs during his career. In three different seasons, he hit more than 40 round-trippers. In 10 other seasons, he hit more than 30 homers. His 48 dingers in 1980 set a single-season record for a third baseman.

Schmidt, however, was by no means a one-dimensional player. His stellar defense earned him 10 Gold Gloves. He was a three-time NL MVP. The Sporting News named Schmidt "Player of the Decade" for the 1980s.

Number 13

Honus Wagner (1897-1917)
Position: Shortstop
Greatest Moment: Getting hit No. 3,000 against Philadelphia's Erskine Mayer on June 9, 1914.
Why he's one of the greatest: John Peter "Honus" Wagner is a true old-time legend. He's one of the original five members of the Hall of Fame. During his 21-year career, he played for the Louisville Colonels and the Pittsburgh Pirates.

His performance with the bat was impressive. He hit over .300 in 17 consecutive seasons, and collected eight NL batting titles. In addition, he was a five-time league leader in stolen bases. During his career, his steal total reached 722.

Number 12

Roger Clemens (1984-present)
Position: Right-handed Pitcher
Greatest Moment: Striking out 20 Seattle Mariners on April 29, 1986.
Why he's one of the greatest: The Rocket is a certain Hall of Famer, once he decides to retire. He almost left the game after the 2003 season, but couldn't resist the chance to play for the Houston Astros in his home state.

Clemens is a six-time AL Cy Young Award winner. His trophy case also has the 1986 AL MVP award. He's led the league in ERA six times, and in strikeouts five times. Clemens has been a 20-game winner in six different seasons.

Number 11

Reggie Jackson (1967-1987)
Position: Outfielder
Greatest Moment: Hitting three first-pitch home runs in Game 6 of the 1977 World Series.
Why he's one of the greatest: With 563 career home runs, Mr. October was one of the most prolific home run hitters the game has ever seen. The 1973 AL MVP really cranked it up a notch during the postseason for both the A's and the Yankees. His career Fall Classic batting average is .357, with 10 home runs and 24 RBIs.

Jackson has enough World Series championship rings to fit on one hand, picking up three in a row with the A's (1972-'74), and two back-to-back with the Yanks (1977-'7.

Number 10

Ty Cobb (1905-1928)
Position: Outfielder, First Baseman
Greatest Moment: A 40-game hitting streak in 1911 to beat Shoeless Joe Jackson for the AL batting title.
Why he's one of the greatest: Cobb played for the Detroit Tigers and Philadelphia A's during his 24-year career. It's safe to say that no other hitter will match Cobb's accomplishments.

Cobb has 4,191 career hits; only Pete Rose collected more base knocks. Cobb won 12 AL batting titles, including a streak of nine in a row. Speaking of streaks, he had 23 straight seasons over .300. In 1911, his batting average was .420. He was over .400 in two other seasons.

Number 9

Stan Musial (1941-1963)
Position: Outfielder, First Baseman
Greatest Moment: Getting hit No. 3,000 on May 13, 1958, against the Chicago Cubs.
Why he's one of the greatest: "Stan the Man" is an icon in St. Louis, where he played 22 years with the Cardinals. He finished 17 of those seasons with a batting average over .300. Musial led the NL in batting seven times. He was the choice for the league's MVP in 1943, 1946 and 1948. Musial was an All-Star 24 times. In addition, he hit 12 walk-off home runs during his career. Only four other players share this record.

The Cardinals originally signed Musial as a pitcher, but, upon noticing his quick feet, took him off the mound. He was a strong base runner, yet never stole more than nine bases in a season.

Number 8

Mickey Mantle (1951-1968)
Position: Centerfielder
Greatest Moment: Hitting a 565-foot home run at Griffith Stadium in Washington, D.C. on April 17, 1953.
Why he's one of the greatest: The greatest switch hitter in history had the unenviable job of replacing Joe DiMaggio in centerfield for the Yankees. "The Mick" spent his 18-year career with the Yanks, helping them to 12 AL pennants and seven World Series crowns. He holds the record for most home runs in the Series with 18 dingers.

Mantle was also a big-time player in the regular season, winning three MVP awards (1956, 1957 and 1962). His career stats include a batting average of .298 and 531 home runs. Mantle won the Triple Crown in 1956.

Number 7

Joe DiMaggio (1936-1951)
Greatest Moment: His 56-game hitting streak in 1941.
Why he's one of the greatest: At Baseball's Centennial Celebration in 1969, DiMaggio was named the "Greatest Living Player" in the game.

His career offensive numbers justify that selection. During his career, he hit .325 and nailed 361 homers. The Yankee Clipper won three AL MVP awards and a pair of batting titles. Many fans consider his 56-game hitting streak to be the MLB record that will probably never be broken. During his amazing 1941 season, DiMaggio led the AL with 125 RBIs. He hit 30 homers, 43 doubles and 11 triples. He only struck out 13 times that year. Amazingly, Ted Williams had an even better season, denying DiMaggio a batting title that year.

To Yankee fans, DiMaggio is a hero. But to the team's management, he was a pain in the neck. DiMaggio disrespected manager Casey Stengel, and frequently sparred with Yankee brass over his salary.

Number 6

Nolan Ryan (1966-1993)
Position: Right-handed Pitcher
Greatest Moment: On May 1, 1991, Texas Ranger Ryan pitched the seventh no-hitter of his career against the Toronto Blue Jays in Arlington.
Why he's one of the greatest: Ryan was one of the most feared pitchers in major league history, with heat that approached speeds of 100 mph. During his 27-year career he racked up 5,714 strikeouts, a total surpassed by none to date. Ryan also had 324 victories and seven no-hitters. He fanned a record 383 batters as a California Angel in 1973.

Number 5

Willie Mays (1951-1973)
Greatest Moment: His over-the-shoulder catch, robbing Cleveland Indian Vic Wertz of an extra base hit in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series.
Why he's one of the greatest: A conversation about the best all-around players in the game's history would certainly have to include Mays in the Top 5. Mays was a selection to the All-Star Game 24 times. His play in the field was stellar, as testified by his 12 Gold Gloves. The two-time NL MVP hit 660 homers during his career, and is fourth on the all-time home run list. As Mays piled on the homers, many people considered him a threat to breaking Babe Ruth's record of 714 dingers.

During every season from 1957 to 1966, Mays finished no lower than sixth in the NL MVP voting. He became the first player to collect 3,000 hits and 500 homers.

Number 4

Babe Ruth (1914-1935)
Position: Left-handed Pitcher, Outfielder
Greatest Moment: Hitting the first home run in Yankee Stadium on April 18, 1923.
Why he's one of the greatest: The Sultan of Swat was baseball's first great slugger and the most celebrated athlete of his time, certainly a bona fide celebrity both on and off the baseball field. While everyone remembers Ruth as a slugger, it's worth noting that he started his career as a pitcher. He won 89 games in six seasons with the Boston Red Sox, helping the team to the 1915, 1916 and 1918 World Championships.

The Sox sold Ruth to the Yankees, and that kick-started the most memorable part of his career. He led the Yanks to seven AL pennants and four World Series crowns. The slugger who was known to "call his shot" hit 60 long bombs in 1927. He hit 714 homers during his career; only Hammerin' Hank Aaron has amassed more dingers.

Number 3

Hank Aaron (1954-1976)
Position: Outfielder
Greatest Moment: Hitting career home run No. 715, breaking Babe Ruth's record, on April 8, 1974.
Why he's one of the greatest: Aaron was the last Negro American League player to also play in MLB. He's most remembered for his home run power; so far no one has exceeded his career home run total of 755. He also holds records in career RBIs, extra base hits and total bases. The NL's MVP in 1957 was a 24-time All-Star.

He was also pretty handy with the leather, winning three Gold Glove awards.

Number 2

Ted Williams (1939-1960)
Greatest Moment: Hitting home run No. 500 against the Cleveland Indians on June 17, 1960.
Why he's one of the greatest: Many consider Williams the greatest hitter in the modern era. He was a two-time winner of the Triple Crown and AL MVP. He batted .406 in 1941; that contributed to his lifetime batting average of .344. The 17-time All-Star won six batting championships.

Williams wasn't just a good contact hitter; he had impressive power, blasting 521 career home runs.

Number 1

Barry Bonds (1986-present)
Greatest Moment: Home run No. 71, breaking Mark McGwire's single season record.
Why he's the greatest: Bonds has already passed his godfather Mays on the all-time home run leader list. Bonds is approaching 700 homers and the totals that Ruth and Aaron posted. Doping controversy aside, Bonds is certain to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He's won six NL MVP awards. Despite his awesome career home run total, he's only led the NL in homers twice. In 2002, he led the league in hitting with an average of .370.

The only thing missing for Bonds is a World Series championship ring. He did have his chance as the San Francisco Giants made it to the Series in 2002; however, they lost to the Anaheim Angels in seven games. Even without the all-time home run record, Bonds was an easy choice for the top spot on this list. Love him or hate him, you have to admit he's the game's most electrifying player and feared hitter.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

People are still watching Basball?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Silverback wrote:People are still watching Baseball?
Only in Houston and Chicago!
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RTO wrote:
I hate to break the news...The Sox aren't really a "Chicago" Team. When I was growing up in Chicago, the Sox were always the "Other" Team.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Silverback wrote:
RTO wrote:
I hate to break the news...The Sox aren't really a "Chicago" Team. When I was growing up in Chicago, the Sox were always the "Other" Team.
I know what you mean, I grew up in Chicago also and spent many summer days at Wrigley Field. (before lights)
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Don't keep up with Baseball but I would have thought Pete Rose would have made the list... with ease!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

McD wrote:Don't keep up with Baseball but I would have thought Pete Rose would have made the list... with ease!
Yup, Rose didn't make this list. However, on another list I found, Pete Rose made #48 on a Top 100 list, while Barry Bonds, with #1 rank on this list made # 65!!!!!
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

How in the fuck can you include Mark McGwire and leave Pete Rose off? Who make up this list? Like him or hate him Pete Rose is the definition of hustle and he always played to win. Yes, he had some problems but so does McGwire. Pete Rose has the most items of any one player in the hall of fame. To leave him off of this list invalidates the list.
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Rugger wrote:How in the fuck can you include Mark McGwire and leave Pete Rose off? Who make up this list? Like him or hate him Pete Rose is the definition of hustle and he always played to win. Yes, he had some problems but so does McGwire. Pete Rose has the most items of any one player in the hall of fame. To leave him off of this list invalidates the list.

Here's the guy that published the list, he even commented that the great thing about lists is the controversy and debate they stir. I think Rose was a great player and should be on ANY list of baseball greats.

By Steve Seepersaud
Entertainment Correspondent

[/b]
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Where the fuck is Jose Canseco? :D
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

fireranger wrote:Where the fuck is Jose Canseco? :D
Writing another book! :lol:
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

Fuck Barry Bonds. :evil:
ArmyParatrooper.org

514th Sig Co. (LRE) '97-'02
AATW!
502in62

Post by 502in62 »

This guy wouldn't make anyones top 100 but he was my favorite player when I was a kid. ANDY PAFKO Cubs center fielder in the late 40's. I hated the Cubs when they traded him to the Milwaukee Braves.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Sid Bream. That fucker's knees were shot to shit, and he damn near had to waddle in to home plate in 1992. An inspiration to anyone who feels the pain when they get up in the morning.

And I don't even like watching baseball.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

What is baseball? Isn't that like airsoft?
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry

Return to “The Mosh Pit”