AAAHHHHHH!!! Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac Attack

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

JMar wrote:Veteran Angry Civilian,

If its poison IVY, then check out the local pharmacy for some stuff called Technu (or something like that, its been a while). That stuff will get rid of it super fast.

If its poison OAK, absolutely DON'T wash it with soap and water, it will spread like crazy if you do. Just use some anti-itch cream and try not to touch it. Poison oak is a bitch and really just takes time to go away.

As for identifying which one it is, poison ivy will look like rash, poison oak will be a bunch of red bumps and itch like crazy. I had it really bad about a month ago after a backpacking trip (as in all over my body from trying the soap and water method). Good luck, its definately annoying.
Nope.

Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac have all the same chemical compound(Urushiol) that causes the allergic reaction.

Clicky aqui for treatment guidelines.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/796_ivy.html

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Darksaga
Soldier

Re: .

Post by Darksaga »

RGR_Dan wrote:Or scrape the area with a steel bristle brush and pour bleach on it :twisted:
Ranger RGR_Dan,

Shit, that's what the docs did that time I got cellulitis only they used alcohol with the stell bristle brush. Good God that sucked!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Cat
Tadpole

Re: .

Post by Cat »

RGR_Dan wrote:Go swimming in a pool. The chlorine helps dry it out. It'll be done in like 2-3 days. Or scrape the area with a steel bristle brush and pour bleach on it :twisted:
LOL, Rgr Dan, I've done that. Last year I had a small spot on my arm. I knew it was going to be everywhere soon, so I scrubbed the spot with bleach. Hurt like hell, but I'd rather deal with bleach burn any day over poison ivy.

Also, salt water and oatmeal help.
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

KW Driver wrote:poison ivy? the fuck is that? oh yeah, it's that shit I used to roll around in all the time to the look of horror from the pussies...

sure is nice to be immune to all that shit...
Remember Griswald? :lol:

All they had to do is lay that range on and the whole company would break out with poison oak before we even set foot on it. :shock:

Angrycivilian, take benedryl, then try putting superglue on it, make sure it is clean and dry, and not an open sore. It will help keep it from spreading and it will peel off on it's own in a couple of days.

Thats what works for my 6. I just use calomine.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I swear, half the time I'm laying in the middle of ten acres of the shit and someone freaks out that I'm gunna die... yeah, really? I'm good. this shit don't bother me. just give me all the ammo bags, link it up and go pull security over there...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

AbnRgr289 wrote:
KW Driver wrote:poison ivy? the fuck is that? oh yeah, it's that shit I used to roll around in all the time to the look of horror from the pussies...

All they had to do is lay that range on and the whole company would break out with poison oak before we even set foot on it. :shock:

Angrycivilian, take benedryl, then try putting superglue on it, make sure it is clean and dry, and not an open sore. It will help keep it from spreading and it will peel off on it's own in a couple of days.

I've heard the best cure is to strip, lay on your back and piss in your own mouth.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Silverback wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:

I've heard the best cure is to strip, lay on your back and piss in your own mouth.
You are a demented MF'er! :lol: :lol: :lol:
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Silverback wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:

I've heard the same thing. Did it work for you? I havent had a reason to try it. :shock: :lol:
Last edited by AbnRgr289 on October 13th, 2005, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

as you RI's like to say, that's a technique...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

KW Driver wrote:as you RI's like to say, that's a technique...
"But not the prefered method"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

I get it real bad and I never take anything over the counter. I go straight to the doctor. The shot I get is called prednisone it is a form of a steroid it works in a day or two. Also if you know your doctor have him call in a perscription for a medrol dose pack. It is a package in which you take 7 pills the first day and 6 the second etc until the last day and after three days it is dried up for the most part. Both of these work very well for me.
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

hahaha!

It's funny how a little plant causes so much trouble. the itching is not bad at all, I havn't scratched it. The problem is the liquid shit oozing out of my skin. I look like some dirty fuck at work. I went to CVS before posting here, and picked up several gause wraps and large pads and an ace bandage. After wrapping it all up, no more ooze staining my pants. I've been taking benadryl, and using the cream; the cream sucks. I'll try the technu shit after work.

Thanks.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Look for the Technu that has two seperate bottles in it. One bottle will be a liquid designed to cleanse the skin. It works, but it works best if used immediately after coming in contact, i.e. before the shit spreads. But if your shit is oozing, you still need it.

Benedryl shots and the prednizone steroid packs are always the best cures, but if I went to see the fucking doctor every time I got poison ivy, I wouldn't have enough money left to eat on. Many of the home remedies not only do not work, they actually make it worse. I used to take a bleach bath. Don't do it. It can actually be very harmful to your health.

If you want an over the counter remedy, the Technu cleanser and the Ivarest cream, and the Ivy Dry sprays are the three best options out there by far in my experience. This coming from a guy who can get a spot on his ankle and in three days it has spread to his eyes and his head has swollen up like a fookin' pumpkin.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

A green scratch pad and bleach works everytime. That shit will be gone in 2 days.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

KW Driver wrote:I swear, half the time I'm laying in the middle of ten acres of the shit and someone freaks out that I'm gunna die... yeah, really? I'm good. this shit don't bother me. just give me all the ammo bags, link it up and go pull security over there...
You realize that the same cells that fight cancer, fight poison ivy/oak. The worse the reaction to ivy/oak, the better cancer fighting ability your body has. I hope you don't dip anymore. :lol:
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “The Mosh Pit”