Flags at half mast

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

For Reference:

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection -

the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and

the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Julieanne wrote:
SkyShark wrote:
Julieanne wrote:I'd like to respectfully offer that flying it at half mast is justifiable if you look at this from the standpoint of what the storm did to a region of OUR COUNTRY.

Regardless of our individual feelings about the population of NO, OUR COUNTRY has been hit pretty hard on all different levels. And, as VAk stated, we simply cannot forget the population of Biloxi, and other outlying towns who didn't think they were in danger.
I am not arguing the fact that what happened was devestating to OUR COUNTRY. However, you can't lower the flag everytime something like that happens in our country. I mean Jesus, The flag is going to be at half mast already this weekend for the Jusdge AND the Hurrican AND 9/11. My point is where does it stop? The crime rate is a huge problem in our country. AIDS is a huge problem in OUR COUNTRY. We can't fly the flag at half mast every time there is an ACT OF GOD that is so devastating. Maybe we should fly the flags at half mast for all thse floods in So Cal a couple years back or the Devestating wildfires there.

It's like 9/11 I am in full support of flying the flags at half mast for that because it was an act of war against our country. On the other hand I don't see anyone flying flags at half mast for the Oklahoma Bombing. That was an act of war from a DOMESTIC enemy, which every Soldier and Veteran on this board swore to fight.
I do respect the oppinions of those that dissagree with me and I do have sympathy for those in the areas that were hit that weren't suppossed to be, However, a large number of kolks were asked to evacuate and didn't heel some are still staying. Those folks I have no sympathy for.

This is a good topic. Thanx to whoever started it. I look forward to more discussion on this.
Well, on a personal level, I don't really understand why we are flying it because of the judges death- he lived a fulfilling life, lived to a ripe old age, and assumably enjoyed the life he lead.

I agree with you in that I think it should have been flown when the OK City bombing happened. And I agree that there needs to be some guidelines as to when and why it is lowered. I am sure there is some sort of SOP somewhere. In fact I have a kids book that talks all about the flag, that probably addresses this very subject. However, it's ina box somewhere...

We are not hit with natural disasters of this magnitude everyday, and considering the numbers that have been directly affected, I think that, in this case it's a good time to lower the flag.
I disagree. I know that someone like me on the west coast we didn't really feel the wrath of of Katrina except gas prices, but I do feel the wrath of earthquakes and stuff like that, that are a problem on our coast. We have cops shot and killed all the time in this country and to thier friends and loved ones it it JUST as serious as the hurricane to those in thhe south. People have different feelings about different things, doesn't make them right or wrong, just different.

As far as the Judge, he wasn't just a judge but the Chief Justice of The Supreme Court. He deserves the flag at half mast. The President has the say of when the flag goes down to Half Mast. If I remember correctly Reagan had it at half mast for the Challanger, But I can't remember if it was for the Colombia. It really is a wierd thing. I believe that the President makes the decision basewd on the out cry of the people.

This kinda reminds me of the Infantry and Desert Storm. I am not putting any soldier down, but I was in Basic during the end of the war so I never got to go. However, I was stationed with many that were and there was a big stink about joes geting a CIB that didn't do anything. There was one guy in my unit at Bragg that caught so much shit from the others because he was awarded the CIB but his whole tim ein country he drove a duece and a half and wasn't even with the rest of the unit when they crossed into Iraq and were involved in firefights. Apparently the guy never even heard a round fired, but he still got the CIB because of his MOS. Whatever, no big deal to me. But, those that were there it was a big deal because they felt he didn't earn it. He was awarded it so there fore in my book he had every right to wear it. My point is people react different to different things.
It's all good.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

One thing sticks out and that is the fact that poor people didn’t have the choice. They weathered the storm whether they were ready or not. For those poor souls that perished I would lower my flag to half-staff. :(
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I see your point. Makes sense now. It’s a good thing to see all points and be able to make a well-rounded decision.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

DoorGunner wrote:Didn't mean to start the shit storm but this is how I feel. I have compassion for those people. If one walked to my door I'd let them in. If a 1000 did I'd attempt to do the same. My house would be open.

If I dropped dead tomorrow, would the flag be dropped to half staff. I fought for this country as did my father and son. None of us have or will die with the nations flags dropped to half staff. At least not my Father and I. One never knows with the Son.

Should'nt the flag of this country be kept at half staff since the war began? Each and every day we see warriors die representing this country, is the flag held at half mast?

One of the guys that works for me lost his Mother. It was a situation of both of your children are drowning, which one do you save? A terrible terrible situation. Not one I could make a decision on.

Bottom line, my flag stays up except for the Judge. I have sympathy and compassion but...............................
Amen to that!!

Condolences to the gentleman you work with, Doorgunner.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

DoorGunner wrote:Didn't mean to start the shit storm but this is how I feel. I have compassion for those people. If one walked to my door I'd let them in. If a 1000 did I'd attempt to do the same. My house would be open.

If I dropped dead tomorrow, would the flag be dropped to half staff. I fought for this country as did my father and son. None of us have or will die with the nations flags dropped to half staff. At least not my Father and I. One never knows with the Son.

Should'nt the flag of this country be kept at half staff since the war began? Each and every day we see warriors die representing this country, is the flag held at half mast?

One of the guys that works for me lost his Mother. It was a situation of both of your children are drowning, which one do you save? A terrible terrible situation. Not one I could make a decision on.

Bottom line, my flag stays up except for the Judge. I have sympathy and compassion but...............................
There it is. Thanks DG. I was wondering how to say what you just did.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

I'm going to have to agree with the "keep it up" side of this. The more often it's done, the less significant it is, and it is significant, like taps, or a twenty-one gun salute, It's sacred, not a PR decision, an honor decision. I don't consider natural disasters to be worthy of the notion. They're NATURAL disasters, like cancer, or hemorrhoids, a fact of life, a season. Not doing it, show me extraordinary sacrifice and I'll show you gratitude, hit my house with a tornado and I'll show you my bare ass. The rain god is a pussy anyway. :x
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
dyks wrote:I'm going to have to agree with the "keep it up" side of this. The more often it's done, the less significant it is, and it is significant, like taps, or a twenty-one gun salute, It's sacred, not a PR decision, an honor decision. I don't consider natural disasters to be worthy of the notion. They're NATURAL disasters, like cancer, or hemorrhoids, a fact of life, a season. Not doing it, show me extraordinary sacrifice and I'll show you gratitude, hit my house with a tornado and I'll show you my bare ass. The rain god is a pussy anyway. :x
When I grow up I want to be just like you!!! :lol:
growing up won't help with that :D
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
keepsmilin
Tadpole

Up is Good..

Post by keepsmilin »

Yes,

Keeping it up is always a good thing...

-KS
"Do not be too moral, you may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something."
~Henry David Thoreau
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Up is Good..

Post by Silverback »

keepsmilin wrote:Yes,

Keeping it up is always a good thing...

-KS
Talk like that is gonna' get you in trouble young lady
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ruffner275
Ranger

Post by Ruffner275 »

Its HALF-STAFF, not half-mast.
12B1P 11th ACR 96-99
11B2V C co. 2/75 99-02
Class 8-00
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Ruffner275 wrote:Its HALF-STAFF, not half-mast.
Unless you come from a Coast Guard, Navy or Marine background.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams

Return to “The Mosh Pit”