Resoling boots question

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
johnryos
Embryo

Resoling boots question

Post by johnryos »

I am currently competing for a Ranger School slot within my ARNG unit and I want to make sure that I am training / will take acceptable equipment.

The Ranger School packing list calls for two "Boots, Hot Weather (Black or green)" and prohibits "Nonmilitary or Modified issue Boot Soles". I have two pairs of green jungle boots, one commerical w/ripple sole & one issue with panama sole. I wanted to get them both resoled with the standard panama sole, but nowhere around me resoles boots with this sole. They only do vibrams, ripple, sierra, etc. The MCSS no longer sells jungle boots with panama soles either, they only sell them with vibram soles so vibram-soled jungle boots are the new issue boot.

It all boils down to this. I would be taking one pair of issue green jungle boots with a vibram sole and I would be taking one pair of commerical green jungle boots with a vibram sole. Will either one cause me grief? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

if not issued don't bring them. waffle soles are a no go.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
johnryos
Embryo

Post by johnryos »

Ranger RRDTm3, allow me to clarify. I was only issued one pair of green jungle boots. It's a long story how they were issued, but it was mostly luck and I will not be getting issued another pair of jungle boots. I'm not trying to get over by using vibram soles, the vibram soles are now *the* Army issue jungle boots, they are the only style sold in MCSS.

http://www.altama.com/images/items/4168.html

The only options I have are to either to purchase the new style black jungle boot with the Vibram sole or get my green jungle boots resoled with the Vibram soles. I want to know if getting the issue green jungle boots resoled with Vibram soles will be an issue.

I was surprised that the military decided to go from panama to vibram soled jungle boots while we're busy switching to the ACU, but I guess that's the Army.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

johnryos wrote:Ranger RRDTm3, allow me to clarify. I was only issued one pair of green jungle boots. It's a long story how they were issued, but it was mostly luck and I will not be getting issued another pair of jungle boots. I'm not trying to get over by using vibram soles, the vibram soles are now *the* Army issue jungle boots, they are the only style sold in MCSS.

The only options I have are to either to purchase the new style black jungle boot with the Vibram sole or get my green jungle boots resoled with the Vibram soles. I want to know if getting the issue green jungle boots resoled with Vibram soles will be an issue.

I was surprised that the military decided to go from panama to vibram soled jungle boots while we're busy switching to the ACU, but I guess that's the Army.
The new jungles are just as good as the old ones.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

johnryos wrote:Ranger RRDTm3, allow me to clarify. I was only issued one pair of green jungle boots. It's a long story how they were issued, but it was mostly luck and I will not be getting issued another pair of jungle boots. I'm not trying to get over by using vibram soles, the vibram soles are now *the* Army issue jungle boots, they are the only style sold in MCSS.

"johnryos", Ranger RRDTm3 & Ranger Silverback know what their talking about, Trust me on this one. :wink:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
johnryos
Embryo

Post by johnryos »

thanks Ranger AbnRgr289, Ranger RRDTm3 & Ranger Silverback.
Dragon3-7
Soldier

Post by Dragon3-7 »

Johnnyros-

Good question. I'm having similar issues with the packing list being vague...the last thing I want is to be sent home from Ranger School on a technicality.

The list says 2 pr Boots, Combat Leather (Army Issue). The next line says 2 pr Boots, Hot Weather. Is the bottom line to have 2 pair of boots, or is the bottom line to have 4 pair of boots?

Also, you are exactly right that MCS no longer sells panama sole Jungles, and they also no longer sell the all-leather "leg boots". The packing list says that the ICB is only for Marines...yet that is now the Army's standard issue boot.

Secondly, the list calls for Socks, Wool, Cushion Sole (military issue, no polypro or blends). MCS no longer sells the old black wool socks. I went all over Ft. Bragg trying to find them this week. What they sell now instead, is a green cotton/nylon/spandex blend. Hmmmm...

Finally...One of the items on the RECCOMENDED list is "hand sanitizer- anti-bacterial and alcohol free". I went to every drug store in Fayetteville trying to find this stuff...but to the best of my (limited) knowledge, there is no such thing as alcohol-free hand sanitizer that is commercially available (assuming things like Purell or Germ-X are not allowed due to alcohol content).

If anyone around here could square me away, It'd be much appreciated. I just want to make sure I start RS on the right foot...
johnryos
Embryo

Post by johnryos »

First, I would like to preface -- THIS IS MY OPINION. I have not been to Ranger school. I cannot say what will be accepted and what will not be accepted. I am basing this on the facts that my friends have told me and on the assumption (yes, an ass out of me and me) that you are expected to go to the course with issued equipment or purchased standard issue equipment, not commercially purchased non-issue equipment. If I am wrong, please let me know.

---

I'm just going to buy the new boots ... they are the same nomenclature (boots, hot weather) and they are from MCSS so they are "issue" so what can anyone say? I'm not going to get kicked out of Ranger School for some stupid boots. One way it's a $200 bucks and breaking in new boots, oh well. The other way, it's going home. Not worth it.

As far as the # of boots, I had a friend just graduate. He said ICB's were good to go (as they were now "issue" items) and the intent is to have four pairs of boots there. You can obviously take the old style ones, but I'm going with the ICB's. I would reccomend you look on eBay. You can probably find them for considerably less than MCSS. I looked for the new jungles but I think they're too new for people to be selling them on there yet.

For my equipment, this is what I'm using as my reference: http://warfighter.dla.mil/data/bagitems/index.html. Scroll to the bottom and it's got the clothing bag for Army men. Make sure to look at the FY-05 quantity. It lists 7 green socks, so does that help? ... but this causes another problem, here it has a rigger belt instead of a web belt.

Old issue boot soles are crap compared to the new issue vibram soles. Old issue belts have broken on me twice, the new issued rigger belt has never broken on me. Old issue socks have ripped in half when I've put them on, the new issue socks haven't. Yes I know you can shoot / communicate / move with all of it and better men than I have done all of that and more, but the equipment is still crap.

I know whether or not I make it through Ranger School has nothing to do with a belt or boot soles or any of that stuff. I'm not trying to get over, sneak stuff in, etc. But why should I take crappy old issue stuff when there is better new issue items? Because RTB hasn't updated their site? And before people jump me for heresy, the packing list prohibits ICB's but you can take ICB's to the course.

The reason we're confused is because there are discrepancies between the RTB's packing list and the current clothing bag. Thankfully, I have two friends still there and two friends going soon so I'll be able to ask them before I go.

... and as far as the hand sanitizer goes, well, not to be a dick but google it. I just did and found one, http://www.waterjourney.com/. There were like 20 others. You may have to order it online.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Fuck you Johnny.
Your attitude sucks.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
johnryos
Embryo

Post by johnryos »

Ranger Kilted Heathen, I do not mean to come into your house and take a shit. I sincerly apoligize for my disrespect and flippant attitude in the previous post and apoligize if it offends Rangers. I respect your opinion and will not be posting again.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

johnryos wrote: Because RTB hasn't updated their site? And before people jump me for heresy, the packing list prohibits ICB's but you can take ICB's to the course.
if this kind of stuff is bothering you now what are you going to do when its pooring down rain and freezing and you cant put on your goretex? When you are cold but cant wear snivel gear? Hungry tired then what are you going to do bitch about the way RTB does stuff!!!!
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Read the site FAQs and post an intro as per site policy before posting again.

Thank You.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”