SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Tow Jumper

Post by SkyShark »

It's all good.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

It looked like his chute was just hanging in the back and the air grabbed it and yanked his ass out.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:It looked like his chute was just hanging in the back and the air grabbed it and yanked his ass out.
Seen it happen to one of my AJM's doing a door check while clearing the rear (ripcord grip snagged the leading edge of the door opening, the pilot chute went and so did he) while I was waiting for his thumbs up. I checked the rear for his canopy which was good and kept the operation moving by relocating his stick over to my side after I put mine out!

Had the LM contact the pilot who in turn made contact with the DZSO to get to him asap once he landed. He turned out okay but threw his back out from the inertia. There's a video that exists for a similar scenario that happened to a JM student the same way.

Did this guy make it? Hopefully, he cut away, deployed and got a full reserve.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

That shit sucked.

I feel from the right door of a 130 going into George DZ at NOE. When the pilot started the climb we hit an air pocket and I got tossed. Only about 3-4 secs before green light, but damn near shit myself.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
msg_dman
Ranger

Post by msg_dman »

That same scenario has casued the plane to crash in the past. The chute raps around the rear fin and the pilot can't properly steer it. One situation resulted in everyone bailing out of the plane before it crashed because of a chute opening just like that.
Ranger Class # 12-89
Merrills PSG 89-90
C/Co 4th RTB 90-92
USASOC Ft Bragg 01-06
Retired 1 Feb 2006

In Memory of 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007

Return to “The Mosh Pit”