M4 sling. If you had to buy one, what would you want?

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Ranger want2race:

I used to have a Giles sling for my Benelli. Here is a link: Wilderness Tactical Products
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Why buy a sling?

If you're in a non-tactical area, the issue sling is GTG.

If you're in the shit, your heater should be in your mitts... but then again maybe I'm just another fanatic.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

Why buy a sling?

If you're in the shit, your heater should be in your mitts... but then again maybe I'm just another fanatic.
Its the transition between M4 and sidearm that makes the sling selection important. 8)
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
the_cak
Ranger

V Tac Sling

Post by the_cak »

try Kyle Lamb's V-tac sling, from vikingtactics.com

I like mine mounted on the rails close to the reciever as possible. You will need a sling attachment (GG&G makes the one I have) that goes on the rails if you do not want to attach it to the sling loops that are on your rifle already.

The sling is just a simple strap with a rucksack strap tightener in the middle of it, allows you to loosen or tighten the sling as you see fit. Simple and handy. You can tighten it up for times when you don't want the weapon bouncing around (climbing, fast roping, doing anything that requires both hands) or you can loosen it up so you can transition to your weak shoulder if necessary. Only thing I would change on this sling is add some padding where it goes on the back of my neck, (not as much as the SAW sling I used to have on my M203, but the vtac is only about an inch wide or so)

Just one guy's opinion, but I have had a pretty good experience with this sling in both competitions and cqm training. Much simpler than a 3 point.

Dan
C co 3/75 Feb 99 to July 2000
Ranger School Class 7-00 (Started in 6-00)
USMA Class of 2005
1-87 INF Jan 06 to present
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

B 2/75 wrote:Why buy a sling?

I'm with you bro'!
Maybe it's a 2nd Batt thing? :lol:
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

Hey Want2, I know up here in Lewis they sell them at the PX for about $20 or so. Don't know what kind of prices you find down there. I use the MAMBA and like it ok. I actually prefer a silgle point one over all for transition work like you were saying.
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
Juan45
Embryo

Re: V Tac Sling

Post by Juan45 »

the_cak wrote:try Kyle Lamb's V-tac sling, from vikingtactics.com

I like mine mounted on the rails close to the reciever as possible. You will need a sling attachment (GG&G makes the one I have) that goes on the rails if you do not want to attach it to the sling loops that are on your rifle already.

The sling is just a simple strap with a rucksack strap tightener in the middle of it, allows you to loosen or tighten the sling as you see fit. Simple and handy. You can tighten it up for times when you don't want the weapon bouncing around (climbing, fast roping, doing anything that requires both hands) or you can loosen it up so you can transition to your weak shoulder if necessary. Only thing I would change on this sling is add some padding where it goes on the back of my neck, (not as much as the SAW sling I used to have on my M203, but the vtac is only about an inch wide or so)

Just one guy's opinion, but I have had a pretty good experience with this sling in both competitions and cqm training. Much simpler than a 3 point.

Dan
In addition to using the sling as stated above the quick and secure tightening system allows you really snug the gun for an incredibly solid platform. It makes it very easy to go from "up drills" to a solid seated, kneeling or prone. I, however, mount the swivel as far foreward on the float tube as possible (stability & lateral control)
---just another opinion
Swimmin' Elvises
CDQC 1-94
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

The MAMBA sling is gonna run you about 25 bucks but I just put one together for about 8 bucks that a better design. Buy the junk you need and make your own. It will work better.
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

You guys are killing me.

Spec-ops Mamba

V-Tech

Sooper Bungie

Send me yer 20 - 30 bucks, and I"ll send you a brand new sling that works like a champ :twisted:
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
D/96 CA (A)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

I have a S.W.I.F.T. sling from blackhawk industries that I really do like. It was rather expensive at a little over forty dollars but it was what I wanted for a CAR 15. Thay have a good selection of tactical gear that might be of help.
http://www.blackhawkindustries.com
"Dad, these guys don't hate Americans anymore."
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

want2race wrote:Yeah yeah, but can you get a couple hundred of them together by next week?

I needed a shit load of them on short notice. There is a lot of extra webbing for the mamba (tails) but I like it because you can get creative with it (not just use it as the 3 point style). The bungee part is just a little marketing hype, but whatever, it wasn't my dime anyway.

On a side note, I have to (get to) zero these in too. Hmmm
Hint: Each "thingie" has to be zero'd 3 times. Can you guess why?

The sling you'll get from me for yer 20 or 30 bucks would be the standard issue sling that comes from the Army for yer weapon. I guess my laughing at you guys feeling like you've gotta spend money on such a thing was more subtle than I thought it was. I just can't believe that ya'll younger soldeirs actually carry such a dinky thing as an M-4 on a sling. Yes, my rifle had a sling on it, but it wasn't used much.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
D/96 CA (A)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)