LRSUs

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
edk84
Embryo

LRSUs

Post by edk84 »

What is the best way to get into a Long Range Surveillance Unit or Detachment in the active army? Is their any way to request this once you arrive at your unit? Also, are many people in these units Ranger qualified?

Thanks for the help,
Ed
"Move swiftly. Don't whine. Try your hardest."
- from "The Hard Way" by Mark Jenkins
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

LRSD

Post by SkyShark »

I sit and watch, and what do I see waaaaaaaaaaay out there on the horizon? I think it looks like smoke.
It's all good.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Wrong section,

It all depends on what LRS unit. Lots of Ranger qual'ed guys in them, it's actually a requirement, though that's not always followed.
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

edk84

Just wondering why you have 'Newt' by your name, but have an Avatar out of the 'DEPs' avatar category, instead of the 'Newts' avatar category?

Are you in the Delayed Entry Program, or just better than the rest of the 'Newts'?
DO NOT PM ME
edk84
Embryo

Post by edk84 »

Ranger,
I didn't realize I still had newt under my name. I am in the delayed entry program with an 11x contract. I am in a similar situation as some of the others on this board who could not obtain an option 40 because of a medical waiver.

I would like to be in the best unit that I can be in, and if I am not able to volunteer for the 75th Ranger Regiment, I would like to try to get to Ranger School from another unit. I was under the impression that getting into a LRSU would be a good way to go about this, and I was just wondering if there was certain way to request one of these units. I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, but I appreciate the advice.

Thanks
edk84
Embryo

Post by edk84 »

Ranger Moderator,
Could you move this post that I posted in the wrong section to the Reconaissance section?

Thanks.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

edk84 wrote:Ranger Moderator,
Could you move this post that I posted in the wrong section to the Reconaissance section?

Thanks.
Better late then never...... :lol:
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

It's my understanding that you can get "station of choice" in your contract, in some cases. Ask SFC Hit-it. If you can go to Ft. Campbell with the 101st or to Ft. Bragg with 82nd Abn., you might have a better chance at an LRSD slot. The son of a LRRP buddy of mine inlisted for the 101st LRSD, but I think his dad may have pulled some strings.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
SoldierAgent505
Embryo

Reviving...

Post by SoldierAgent505 »

Word in the MI world is that someone (up on high) has decided that HOLY CRAP... WE NEED TACTICAL EXPLOITATION BATTALIONS.

Basically another LRS may becoming back to Active Duty at Ft. Hood (nothing confirmed just heavy rumor). It would fall under the 163rd MI Bn, which was deactivated in 1997 but due to Afghanistan (mainly) and now Iraq, the Army has said they want to bring her back.

Chances are if they bring back the 163rd, the LRS unit will come with it.
US Army
97B, CI Agent
usedtobe
US Army Veteran

Post by usedtobe »

Where ever you end up stationed. START WORKING OUT AND ASK QUESTIONS! They usually have try-outs but no one will tell you,so make sure your a stud so your always ready. This knowledge you will have to seek out , Most PSG's won't say "who wants to leave my platoon and be high speed?" so be persistant.

I also read a thread in the Recon forum LRSD units are being cut down. So I guess first thing should be research on what Units still have one.
RECOOOON!!
Mother_Benning
Ranger

Post by Mother_Benning »

Too late....they are all gone......
Eyes

Post by Eyes »

boscounderfoot
Ranger

Re:

Post by boscounderfoot »

edk84 wrote:Ranger,
I didn't realize I still had newt under my name. I am in the delayed entry program with an 11x contract. I am in a similar situation as some of the others on this board who could not obtain an option 40 because of a medical waiver.

I would like to be in the best unit that I can be in, and if I am not able to volunteer for the 75th Ranger Regiment, I would like to try to get to Ranger School from another unit. I was under the impression that getting into a LRSU would be a good way to go about this, and I was just wondering if there was certain way to request one of these units. I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, but I appreciate the advice.

Thanks
Listen up hero, you're not going to walk in to a LRS detachment out of AIT. It aint gonna happen! My suggestion would be to get Airborne on your contract before you leave for Basic Training. If you were a total stud in Basic and AIT, you then request to be assigned to your unit's Scout Platoon. This will give you a foot in the door. Then you get your happy ass to Ranger School, get your EIB and do everything better than everyone else and then you go and request a meeting with the Division level LRS Unit. It's not easy to get a slot, and you will have to go through a tryout. But like anything else in life that sets you apart from the rest of the herd, you need to work your ass off to realize the goals you set.

Return to “Reconnaissance”