marine-ranger

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Damn it! Poor glenny's going home...later puss. :cry: :twisted:
Recon Marine
Embryo

Post by Recon Marine »

I know I'm a little late to respond, but maybe a response will stop someone else from asking the same question. I haven't been here in a few days. Recon Marines learn some great skill sets at Ranger School. These are things that are above and beyond what is taught at ARS (Amphib Recon School). One of Recon's missions is to provide pre-raid reconnaissance to Infantry commanders, Ranger School being a perfect fit for this skill. Another huge thing I took out of the school, was what a highly trained platoon was capable of. I remember coming in from an OP and approching our perimiter and thinking Holy Shit, a Recon Team could of walked right up on this firepower. Makes you think a bit about patrolling. Extra food and sleep deprevation never hurt anyone, plus getting a freshening up on ambushing, raids and platoon size tactics was a great benefit, since we mostly trained with 4 to 6 man teams. One other note to Ranger2, there have been Rangers that went through ARS. I didn't have any in my class, but I do know that some have gone through. Not as common as the flip side, but a few have.
USMC 2d Recon Bn 94-98, Class 7-96
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Recon Marine wrote:I know I'm a little late to respond, but maybe a response will stop someone else from asking the same question. I haven't been here in a few days. Recon Marines learn some great skill sets at Ranger School. These are things that are above and beyond what is taught at ARS (Amphib Recon School). One of Recon's missions is to provide pre-raid reconnaissance to Infantry commanders, Ranger School being a perfect fit for this skill. Another huge thing I took out of the school, was what a highly trained platoon was capable of. I remember coming in from an OP and approching our perimiter and thinking Holy Shit, a Recon Team could of walked right up on this firepower. Makes you think a bit about patrolling. Extra food and sleep deprevation never hurt anyone, plus getting a freshening up on ambushing, raids and platoon size tactics was a great benefit, since we mostly trained with 4 to 6 man teams. One other note to Ranger2, there have been Rangers that went through ARS. I didn't have any in my class, but I do know that some have gone through. Not as common as the flip side, but a few have.
No disrepect meant. As I have said the best Ranger in my Platoon was a Recon Marine.

Ranger2
Recon Marine
Embryo

Post by Recon Marine »

None taken. You rate. As my team leader once said, tabbed also, anyone who has gone through the training I have, and has earned the same title, rates to make suggestions and ask questions. Always thought that was a damn good attitude for a TL.
USMC 2d Recon Bn 94-98, Class 7-96

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”