Developing a Path to become an Officer in the 75th Ranger Regiment

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

itllbechangedanyways
Future Soldier

Developing a Path to become an Officer in the 75th Ranger Regiment

Post by itllbechangedanyways »

Hello Rangers and forum members, thank you for your service, time, and replies. I'm looking to have some guidance, suggestions, and overall have my plan critiqued for my path to becoming an Officer in the 75th. All apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum for this post, believed it'd fit best within here.
I have posted a general introduction, however this is the synopsis: I'm 18, a high school senior, and am leaving for the Military Academy in three months. My goal upon commissioning is to be an Infantry Officer and eventually progress into the Regiment. As of now, here's my plan:
In the next three months, I'll be doing Stew Smith's Ranger training program as prep and to build up on my overall strength. It has a good mixture of running, pushups, situps, pullups, rucks, swims, etc. so I figured it'd be well guidance. Before I ship, I'll be doing a GoRuck heavy, which is the 24 hour event. Then, I'll be shipping to West Point, will complete their basic training course. The plan for the Academy is doing their National Defense/Terrorism type major called DDS. As well taking x semesters of either Arabic or Persian/Farsi. While there, I'll most likely do either boxing, their Infantry team called Sandhurst, or a different rigorous club/sport for my activity. There is a strong chance I'll attend Air Assault school and potentially another course while I'm there. Lastly, of course, focus on my grades and do all I can to branch Infantry and get assigned to maybe an Airborne unit.
I'd be thrilled to hear some advice to my plan, whether now, before I go off to the Academy, while at the Academy, or afterwards. Thank you very much once again and have a great day.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Developing a Path to become an Officer in the 75th Ranger Regiment

Post by Jim »

Jordan, this is a complex question. When you arrive for Plebe Summer, you will realize that there are a number of your classmates that already have earned a CIB and combat patch with the 75th. They earned an in-service appointment. That will give them a leg up.

On the other hand, generally speaking, most platoon leaders in the 75th have already led a platoon in another unit. All have earned a Ranger tab prior to arriving. That said, Infantry branch controls assignments, but if the unit requests a specific individual, branch will usually honor that request. This is a general answer to encourage discussion.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “The Mosh Pit”