My four minutes with Thomas.

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Saltbitch

My four minutes with Thomas.

Post by Saltbitch »

Last night, I had the pleasure of spending four solid minutes with a college age Southern kid (22) from Alabama. I didn't know his name at the time (Thomas didn't talk much), but we became acquanted out by the corner of where my yard and the neighbors' yard meet. It was down by the edge of the road, at about 12:45 PM when our paths crossed.

After spending several weeks of getting really shitty sleep, I found myself in bed and actually drifting off to sleep. I was awoken at 12:40 PM by our pesky neighbors, no doubt partying their asses off again. It sounded like they were smashing stuff, so I decided since I was up and alert, I would go investigate. Dressed in cut-off sweatpants and a T-shirt, I grabbed my Sure-fire tac-light and proceded out the front door.

I immediately noticed a thick smoke lingering in the air, the sound of a car engine, and a mailbox by my front porch (200 feet from it's normal home). As I reached the end of my driveway, I simply followed the debree trail towards the car idleing in the road by my yard. Glass, plastic, fiberglass, brake shoe, front tire, etc., until I reached the vehicle.

As I reached the car (pretty busted up), I first came in contact with an injured occupant in vehicle. He was in the back seat, passenger side. I wrenched the passenger seat forward and began to check his status. He was unconscience, but had a pulse and was breathing. He was bleeding profusely from behind his right ear. I applied direct pressure and instructed one of the bystanders to call 911. They replied that they had, and I further instructed him (bystander) to turn off the ingnition (car was still running). At this point, I learned his name was John, and so I continued to check him for injuries without moving him. He became lucid after about 30 seconds, and he seemed stunned but stable (I guessed). I passed off the pressure dressing and 'pressure duties' to another male bystander. This is when I met Thomas.

I found Thomas lying on the ground in a crumpled heap, in front of the vehicle. He looked alright, except for being unconscience. I checked for a pulse (right radial). Weak. I checked his left radial; this one was slow but steady. I began to check him for injuries, without moving him (knowing he'd been ejected from the car). I started at his head. No need to proceed. Thomas's head had a 5-7 inch gash starting from his right eyebrow and ended somewhere on the back of his head. His skull was deformed, opening up a gap that was big enough to fit your whole hand into. I was the first human being to ever see Thomas's brain; and I saw a lot of it.

I sat on the ground with Thomas's left hand in mine, checking his pulse every few seconds. I took a really good look at him. I noticed that he was just exactly like all the other college kids here in Auburn; from his Gap shirt down to his khaki cargo-shorts. He was missing both sandals, although one was located three feet from his head. I asked Thomas where his other sandal was; he didn't know. I looked a couple of times with my tac-light at the top of his head, just to make sure I hadn't misjudged the extent of his injury. Nope, I hadn't. Amidst all this chaos and confusion, the world surrounding Thomas and I was very quiet; very private. None of his friends came around the front where we were. That was fine with me, and I don't think Thomas cared at that moment. I whispered to him that he was going to die; his face was peaceful, so I assume he'd made peace with his Maker earlier that day. His pulse weakened. Thomas smelled of sweat and fresh dirt; the kind of earthy smell you get when you till the ground. He was covered in a layer of this dirt and small bits of debris. I carefully wiped the debris from his face as I know I wouldn't want my crime scene photos to show me with shit on my face. Thomas's pulse was extremely weak at this point, and I asked if there was anything more I could do for him. He said nothing as his pulse stopped completely. I reached up and checked his carotid artery; nothing.

I had known Thomas for four minutes.
Kelly-Belly
Tadpole

Post by Kelly-Belly »

Oh wow, I'm so sorry Ranger Saltbitch.......

RIP Thomas...

:cry:
Kelly

This should be you...that they call Incredible...
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You did the right thing in telling him the truth brother. And I know you don't need me to tell you that.

RIP Thomas.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Dude, that motherfucker was unconscience; probably more like brain-dead. He didn't hear SHIT I was sayin'! :lol:
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Do his sandals fit you very well? :lol:
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

You did a good thing Brother.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Brother,

One thing I learned early on in working fatality accidents, is that you really never know what people do or don't hear. But you do know that in his last four minutes here, he had a friend, someone to comfort and care for him and most importantly, he didn't die alone. And that in and of itself makes all of the difference in the world....

There is and honor and a peace in having someone at your side when you go from this side to that. Oddly, I think you'll find an inner peace knowing that you were there to help him with that journey if you let yourself, without getting caught up in the death aspect of it. It is a passing, but the huge showing of compassion and humanity you showed displays an amount of character and fortitude that makes me incredibly proud to have you as a Brother.

I will keep Thomas, his friend's and family in my prayers today and Brother as always you are already there.... Again, I am prouder of you than words could possibly express.

Godspeed,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
CavTroop
Tadpole

Post by CavTroop »

Ranger Saltbitch:
So, how much did alcohol contribute to this kid's senseless and stupid death?
CT
107TH Armd Cav OHARNG 1979-1989
"Facere Non Dicere"
Deeds Not Words
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

The guy that I initially provided aid to (in the backseat, passenger side) was actually DRIVING. They took him to the hospital, closed up his wounds, and found no other injuries. They drew blood, determined that he was DUI, and arrested him. After they had booked him in at the county jail (7 hours later) they administered a breathalyzer which indicated that he was still twice the legal limit. He was set to graduate college with a degree in forestry this fall, and had a good job lined up. Now he is facing a mandatory 5 years in prison for Vehicular Homicide (up to 20 years). He didn't even know he'd killed his friend until they told him the charges.

Don't drink and drive is the take-home messege here. Unless you like prison or camping out in a rubber sleeping bag.

Ranger Spartan- I did find the other sandal; I only have the left one though. If anyone has a pegleg (right leg) and needs a slightly worn, dirty, blood-brown left sandal, shoot me a PM.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

In life we make choices and somtimes we make poor choices. This little credo keeps me from feeling even a bit of sympathy for either of these 2 (oops -1) jugheads. They got exactly what they signed up for.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
CavTroop
Tadpole

Post by CavTroop »

Saltbitch wrote:They drew blood, determined that he was DUI, and arrested him.
I figured. I'm glad he didn't make it all the way to your house.

CT Out
107TH Armd Cav OHARNG 1979-1989
"Facere Non Dicere"
Deeds Not Words
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

They went through six mailboxes, one steel speed limit sign (25mph :lol: ), three front yards (mine included), and terminated by striking two parked cars and sending them both 25 feet from their parking spots. The amazing thing is, they did all of this BACKWARDS and missing the right front tire. Seems they were going down the road at an estimated 80 MPH, lost control, and hit a concrete storm drain (on the side of the street). This caused them to spin 180, loose the wheel, and SKID the entire 200 feet until their (final) impact.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

You did a noble thing, Brother. Sorry you had to see it and even sorrier that it took place in your yard.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

EarthPig wrote:Sorry you had to see it and even sorrier that it took place in your yard.
Me too, brother. What did that set you back in terms of landscaping expenses?
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Spartan wrote:
EarthPig wrote:Sorry you had to see it and even sorrier that it took place in your yard.
Me too, brother. What did that set you back in terms of landscaping expenses?

From what I gather, our brother Salt is either in Georgia, or Alabama. I would say that it either set him back a rusted out Buick on cinderblocks, or a Kenmore. :D

Salt,
I SALUTE your ability to stay focused in that particular situation and use the skills you were taught. I am in agreement with Earthpig on being sorry that you had to witness that tragedy. When will these fuckers learn? 80 m.p.h. after drinking. :x
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway

Return to “The Mosh Pit”