Movie Reviews

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

goon175
Ranger

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by goon175 »

'The Other Guys' was hillarious. I highly reccomend it.

One quote: "I ate a tube of toothpaste because I thought it was astronaut food"
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I enjoyed "The Sorcerers Apprentice".....the 10 year old inside me LOVED it!!!!! It's an adventure/comedy with some good special effects and a plausible (if you're 10) story line!
I've always enjoyed asking myself the question, "WHAT IF..."
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

The Other Guys - Will Ferrel, Mark Wahlberg

It's amazing what you will watch when trapped on a plane.

OK first off, generally the movie is not worth watch. Seriously, go jerk off or something. Time better spent. But as I said, if you are trapped on a plane.....

There are a few one liners a la Ron Burgundy that are funny as hell, but they even managed to ruin most of those.

There is only one reason to watch any of this "film". The credits. No, they are not funny. As a matter of fact they are infuriating. The movie is all about white collar crime, and the credits give extensive detail about how badly we got ass-raped by TARP and all those bank bailouts. It made me want to stab someone in the neck with my ATM card.

Every American with a job and a bank account needs to know this stuff.

You can watch some of them here:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Watch-Th ... 20038.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

"Cop Out" with Bruce Willis and Tracey Morgan.

Absolutely hilarious. Not safe for kids due to language thru-out, but I was laughing out loud watching this. Could be any of us at work the way they fuck with each other.

Simplistic storyline and predictable, but worth it for the laughs.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

The new True Grit is worth the money IMHO. I really enjoyed Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn....kinda reminded me of some Ranger NCOs from back in the day....... :lol:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

No Strings Attached.

Raunchy as hell, but very funny.

Sent from Galaxy Tablet via Tapatalk Pro
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Re: Re: Movie Reviews

Post by BruteForce »

panthersix wrote:The new True Grit is worth the money IMHO. I really enjoyed Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn....kinda reminded me of some Ranger NCOs from back in the day....... :lol:
Agreed. I liked it better than the original John Wayne version. (sadly)

Sent from Galaxy Tablet via Tapatalk Pro
US Army 1986 - 1994
JPHawk

Movie Reviews

Post by JPHawk »

"The Pat Tillman Story" came out on DVD Feb. 1 so I netflixd it. It was well put together and offered a glimpse at how much time and effort Pat's mother put into trying to find out what happened that April day.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Playing catch up on a couple.

Red (Bruce Willis) - Good entertaining flick. Having that chicken from Weeds doesn't hurt either. First time I recall seeing a mag change emphasized in a movie.

The Expendables (Fucking everyone) - Another entertaining flick. Not looking for intellectual stimulation in movies, I enjoyed this immensely. The second time I have seen a mag change emphasized in a movie.

Ninja Assassin (some Japanese guy) - Made by the Wachowski brothers (Matrix), I'm pretty sure they blew half their budget on fake blood. Not for the family, but amusing enough.

Iron Man 2 (That coke head guy wearing a shiny metal suit) - It's not Iron Man 1. I would still do Gwyneth Paltrow AND Scarlett Johannson. Duh.

Green Zone (Jason Bourne) - Jason Bourne goes to Iraq and becomes part of a left wing moonbat conspiracy.

The A-Team (revisited) - So I watched this again because the price was right. The extended cut didn't really add much. If you can see it for free, it is entertaining, as long as you can keep yourself from picturing the original cast and show while watching it.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Cars 2 was pretty good, our two youngsters really enjoyed it. The Toy Story short film they show at the beginning was really good too. Scary thing is that the computer animation is so good, we probably only have a few short years until the line with reality gets seriously blurred.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Hobo With a Shotgun. The best bad movie I have seen in a long time. Based on the oldschool 70s and 80 grindhouse flicks lots of blood guts and violence. And the best title ever
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

The Eagle

Being the history guy I always get pretty annoyed whenever Hollywood shows Romans fighting. They inevitably will show a mob of Romans (or Spartans) start out in formation, then run out on their own, duking it out man to man with the local Barbarian/Persian/whatever.

No one ever shows how these guys really fight, because it is not as exciting.

However the Eagle pulls it off. The Roman army was a disciplined army, well drilled in battle formations that worked. They conquered the Med and European world with it. Basically the Roman formation was a tank. A walking tank with little swords. They did not come at you fast, but they would come at you, stabbing with their little swords... and nothing could stand up to them.

The Eagle shows this in the opening scenes... when they form the Testudo (the Turtle) against a mob of British barbarians. The Barbarians have no chance and are slowly slaughtered.

Other cool things about this movie is the Roman rituals, the showing of life in a Roman garrison, and the esprit de corps of the Legion. Once a Legionairre, always a Legionairre.

Pretty cool.

Liked it.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Via PPV, we watched Limitless last night.

Movie centers around a slob writer that gets turned onto a miracle drug that allows him to use 100% of his brain power. He goes on to become wealthy while the company that created the drug (but lost a couple hundred pills) goes about searching for him (to kill him).

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being poor), I'd give this movie a 7. If you're bored and need something to see, this one isn't terrible.

http://www.iamrogue.com/limitless/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

via Wikipedia:
Edward "Eddie" Morra (Bradley Cooper) is a writer who lives in New York City and has recently been dumped by his girlfriend Lindy (Abbie Cornish) in addition to failing to meet the deadline to turn in his new book, which he hasn't started yet. One day, Eddie comes across Vernon Gant (Johnny Whitworth), the brother of his ex-wife, Melissa Gant (Anna Friel). Vernon is a drug dealer, and he offers Eddie a sample of a new nootropic drug, NZT-48, claiming it has the ability for humans to access 100% of the brain's power, as opposed to the normal 20%. Eddie accepts, and, much to his surprise, the drug does indeed work, allowing him to finish his book.

Eddie asks for more of the drug, but he finds Vernon murdered and calls the police. He deduces that Vernon was probably killed by someone who wanted his stash. He finds the NZT and a wad of cash and uses them to turn his life around. He abandons his writing career and starts trading stocks, borrowing capital from a Russian mafia thug, Gennady (Andrew Howard).

Eddie becomes rich at an incredibly fast pace and is soon employed by the powerful businessman Carl Van Loon (Robert De Niro). Eddie also gets back together with Lindy. He is followed by a man in a tan coat (Tomas Arana). He also starts using more and more NZT, causing side effects to occur: lost time, frenetic activity, and heart palpitations.

Eddie fails to accomplish a task assigned by Van Loon because of an NZT hangover, and fears he might even have killed a woman (Caroline Winberg). Suffering severe withdrawal symptoms due to the post-hangover attempt to quit NZT cold turkey, Eddie begins to feel incredibly sick and he turns to Lindy for help, revealing his addiction to NZT. Reluctantly Lindy agrees to retrieve his stash, hidden in her apartment and return it to him at her office.

However, on the way back to Eddie, Lindy is intercepted en route by the man in the tan coat, and it becomes obvious that he is dangerous, as he gives chase to Lindy, killing two would-be saviors as she flees. Eddie by phone convinces her to take one of the pills, and Lindy makes a bold escape. Though Eddie is saved, Lindy is convinced that he will destroy himself because of NZT and breaks up with him again. He is contacted by ex-wife Melissa and learns that she had been an NZT addict. Worse, he learns that withdrawal from the drug causes major health and mental problems, possibly resulting in death. She warns Eddie to taper off the NZT before it is too late.

Gennady tries one of Eddie's pills, realizes the effects and threatens Eddie until he agrees to give him more NZT. Despite Melissa's warnings, Eddie manages his consumption of the drug down to an acceptable level, then uses his fortune to hire a scientist to work on reverse engineering NZT, a process that could take years.

He assists Carl on a corporate merger deal with rival businessman Hank Atwood (Richard Bekins). Before the deal can take place, Atwood falls ill. Noticing the man in the tan coat working with Atwood, Eddie realizes the man's true mission — to steal Eddie's stash of NZT for his boss, whose real illness is NZT withdrawal. The stash is stolen by Eddie's lawyer, Brandt (Ned Eisenberg), who is revealed to also be working for Atwood.

Eddie is followed home, but manages to kill Gennady and two thugs with intelligence gained from what he believes to be the last of the NZT, which he drank directly from the deceased Gennady's bloodstream. Atwood dies, Brandt having kept the NZT for himself. Eddie agrees to work with the man in the tan coat to retrieve his stolen NZT at Brandt's house.

One year later, Eddie's book has been published (titled Illuminating the Dark Fields — a reference to the novel on which the film is based), and Eddie is running for the United States Senate. In the midst of his campaign, Carl approaches Eddie with the revelation that he bought the company producing NZT and that the backroom NZT lab Eddie was financing has been shut down.

Carl offers him an unlimited supply of NZT (admitting that they both know he is headed for Presidency); however, Eddie must use his political position to push Carl's agenda in return. Eddie refuses, claiming that he no longer needs the drug: his prolonged use, he says, has allowed him to come off of the drug and has permanently enhanced his brain.
US Army 1986 - 1994

Return to “The Mosh Pit”