Movie Reviews

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Curious... has anyone here seen Sherlock Holmes?? Is it worth seeing it??
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Jenny Lynn wrote:Curious... has anyone here seen Sherlock Holmes?? Is it worth seeing it??

Just got home from Sherlock, it ranks right up there with "Taken" on my favorite movie list, Guy Ritchie film with an awesome soundtrack, a little deviation from the novels to give Holmes a more man of action/blue collar image which is really entertaining. I went going thinking it was for my wife because of Jude Law and Downey Jr. but it is definitely a man's movie.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

madslashers1-2 wrote:
Jenny Lynn wrote:Curious... has anyone here seen Sherlock Holmes?? Is it worth seeing it??

Just got home from Sherlock, it ranks right up there with "Taken" on my favorite movie list, Guy Ritchie film with an awesome soundtrack, a little deviation from the novels to give Holmes a more man of action/blue collar image which is really entertaining. I went going thinking it was for my wife because of Jude Law and Downey Jr. but it is definitely a man's movie.
I saw it tonight, gave it a C rating.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Bugsy wrote:
madslashers1-2 wrote:

I saw it tonight, gave it a C rating.

To each their own, I'm a wierd guy, but aren't we all.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:Inglorious Basterds....fucken awesome.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

That Guy wrote:District 9

Hands down, the best movie of the year so far,

WTF, didn't get it, cheesy hi tech remake of Enemy Mine
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

RRDTm3 wrote:
That Guy wrote:District 9

Hands down, the best movie of the year so far,

WTF, didn't get it, cheesy hi tech remake of Enemy Mine
Thanks. I was trying to remember why it was familiar.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Saw 3D Avatar on 8 Jan. Like to see more 3D movies.

In the beginning it looks really great - as your eyes get accustomed to the 3D - one can appreciate the viewing of great depth in a moving picture. Saved a lot of money seeing this pic. The alternative was buying a $2K Mitsubishi 75" DLP (3D capable) to view DVD in 3D at home in a few months.

Seeing every day life with your own 2 eyes is in itself the bomb.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I refuse to see Avatar just because it is by that Titanic prick.

Best review I've heard so far is "think of it as "Dances with Smurfs".
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

RangerX wrote:I refuse to see Avatar just because it is by that Titanic prick.

I liked it. Good story (though it is as old as the beginning of movies), great visuals, lots of action.

Though Cameron made Titanic, he also made Terminator, and Aliens. One of the better "Starship Trooper" type films.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

rgrokelley wrote:

I liked it. Good story (though it is as old as the beginning of movies), great visuals, lots of action.

Though Cameron made Titanic, he also made Terminator, and Aliens. One of the better "Starship Trooper" type films.
I think James Cameron did Titanic just to prove that he was capable of doing something other than Action/SciFi, and somehow the Hollywood snobbery liked it.

If you go see Avatar, see it in 3-D, just for the eyecandy. The script and acting are well done, but the plot has been done a million times before (especially in Japanese SciFi Manga/Anime), so it's horribly predictable (Greedy corporations w/mercenaries vs. an "earth spirit"...I'll stop there and not give too much away).
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Too funny! I recently spoke with someone who compared it to Dances with Wolves, somewhat appropriate in my opinion. I thought Avatar was actually pretty dang good. The effects were really nice.

Star Trek and G.I. Joe were good.

Quite a few friends were saying that Hangover was just the funniest movie ever, but I didn't get that. Some funny situations and funny lines, but I probably still wouldn't buy it.

The Road...I don't even know what to really say about that. I like Charlize Theron and Viggo Mortensen, but I was not impressed. Maybe I need to read the book and then it will explain some things? Maybe not.

The Lovely Bones...First off, sad, chick-type, tissue-bringing flick. Very good visual effects. Mark Wahlberg and Stanley Tucci played their parts well. Susan Sarandon was a great choice for the grandmother. Didn't like the way the book or the movie ended, but overall, the movie followed the book fairly closely.

Princess and the Frog was a cute little Disney movie. The kids enjoyed it.

Can't forgetHarry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. It was pretty good, decent action and the storylines are growing with the characters. The Harry Potters are a favorite in our house.

Bitch Slap...Now if you're into the B-movie, sex-ploitation type films, then this one's for you. The main characters are 3 scantily-clad females, who have filthy mouths, bad attitudes, and weapons.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Had not seen Windtalkers before, watched it on DVD today......... I liked it :!:
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Paranormal Activity...............WTF ? I guess I am just pissed that I didn't make this movie one weekend at the house when I was bored or something.

Public Enemies............A Michael Mann movie, so I watched it. I will give it a GO just because of the violence from the beginning through the end.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “The Mosh Pit”