Movie Reviews

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerX
Ranger

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by RangerX »

rgrokelley wrote:Gran Torino

OK, end of the night, and its past midnight. I slowed on the beers, and just kept up a maintenance buzz.

For a good portion of the movie we were all laughing our ass off. Clint's character could be one of us in the Mojo. He is a Korean War vet having to deal with the recent death of his wife, his own greedy children waiting for him to die so they can get his stuff, foreign neighbors (Chinese Hmong), gangbangers who think they are the baddest thing on the block, and a priest who looks to be barely out of puberty.

I'm not going to say anything about what happens, but the end is not what you think, and there were some women in our crowd who had tears.

I personally think Clint is doing what John Wayne did in The Shooter. I think he is wrapping up all his characters before he dies. The Unforgiven was what happened to Josey Wales (and the man with no name) at the end of his life. Gran Torino is pretty much what happened to Gunny Sergeant Highway (Heartbreak Ridge) at the end of his life. I am willing to predict he will do one final one on his other famous character, Dirty Harry.

Excellent movie, definately made for us.
X2. Just finished watching a screener, and Clint rocks it hard. As stated, the ending is atypical, but appropriate.

Walt would definitely fit in here.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Saw "Hancock" and laughed my ass off.

Watched "Frost/Nixon" at the matinee last weekend and thought it was great. Very interesting.

Going to see the next Clint Eastwood movie tomorrow night probably.
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Having a snow day today and catching up on movies with friends, so far we've watched.

Hancock, like others have posted this was a great movie; I love where he flings the whale back into the ocean.

Iron Man, wow Robert Downey Jr. did a great job, can't wait to see Downey's character again and I hope his cute little robert with the fire extinguisher is back. I think I liked him better in this then even his role in Air America. Samuel L. Jackson's character in the next roll out of Iron Man that will be good.
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

If you haven't seen Valkyrie yet, it's worth a look. I thought it was very well done. I was lucky enough to see a documentary on it (History Channel) the night before I saw the movie, so the added background knowledge added to the experience. Most of the buildings in the movie were the actual ones from WWII, as they have been preserved.

Towards the beginning of the movie, there's an air raid in the desert that will have you under the seats, taking cover. Our theater had the volume cranked up so loud, it was like actually being there. Two thumbs up.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Saw another new one tonight: Seven Pounds. I watched the trailer and thought it was an action movie. It's not....it's a boo-hoo movie. It's a good one, but definately a crybaby flick.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Death Race was pretty fucking cool.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Post by Ranger Andy »

I watched E.T. - because after 20Jan2009, I think that's where I want to be...
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I saw the Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons.

I didn't know what to expect going into this movie, other that it had Brad Pitt in it. Didn't know much about the plot, since I had never read the novel. Anyway... wow!!! What a great movie!

It's very deep... Very emotional... and some of you knuckle draggers may not get into it. I, however, put it on the short list of my all time favorites now.

Pitt should win an Oscar for this role... and Cate Blanchett was absolutely beautiful in it. This movie contemplates life, how short it really is... and love... how bittersweet the taste is for those lucky enough to experience it.

Well worth a look see. I will buy it when it comes out on DVD.

----------------------------

The new Eastwood movie simply rocks!!! He did such a great job with that. I hate seeing him so old though... really knocks it home that time waits for no one.

Haven't seen Bolt yet... but want to. I just need to borrow a kid or two and go see it. Too bad I am headed back to Ft. Dix at the crack of dawn... so may have to just watch it on the computer.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I took my 14 year old to see Valkyrie yesterday. It was pretty damned good.

Death Race was awesome as well.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

It was a Will Smith night last night, :D ...

Hancock -- Freaking hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Seven Pounds -- Very good movie. Very interesting...we kind of got a hint of what would happen early on but it was nice to see how it all unfolds. Definite tear-jerker... yeah, my eyes were sweating a little at the end. :cry:

We also watched Twilight -- It was sweet. Sappy sweet. I didn't read the books, so I don't if the movie did them any justice, but it was pretty good.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Rented TRAITOR the other night. Most on this forum should like it. It is a fairly complex spy/GWOT thriller, so if you go to the fridge or to take a piss then hit the pause button or you will miss something important.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Marley and Me, I had read the book yrs ago so took the wife to see it. Funny thing about Hollywood. They lured all those fucks into what they thought was a lovable dog flick by showing all those trailers. I guess I was one of the few who knew what was coming @ the end. I could have filled a bathub with the tears of the audience.

good movie though
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Watched the following two yesterday:

"Gran Torino" with/by Clint Eastwood. Absolutely rocks. He should get more than one Oscar for this movie.

"Slumdog Millionaire". Few movies can convey just how good we have it as a society. Has to get an Oscar for best foreign movie.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”