Sand Goggles

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Sand Goggles

Post by hobbit »

It's very windy here in the high desert with sand the consistency of talcum powder. When I'm just kicking back out on the plateaus, I use a set of Scott motocross goggles, but even they let some sand in. What are you guys using/what have you used in Iraq and Afghanistan? Any recommendations?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
fatboy
Ranger

Re: Sand Goggles

Post by fatboy »

I used the issued ESS goggles, they were decent for keeping out sand. The wiley-x models we were issued sucked- after about 10 minutes in a sandstorm there was sand in the eyepieces, flowing back and forth when you would tilt your head.
Most of the time we just said fuck it and kept whatever eye pro that was on your face on your face and tried to complete the mission because it was a lost cause to even try to keep the sand out.

Almost 10 years later and I still have sand in things I had over there. Stuff gets everywhere and multiplies like gremlins or something.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I use skydiving goggles when riding my scoot. Yellow for night and black for day. You can get a set of 2 or 3 (yellow-black-clear) on Ebay for about 30.00 total. Compact, low profile and comfortable. Blocks 100% of wind up to about 70mph for me, and then reduces to about 95% effective, should work well if you're on foot and taking er easy I would think.

Better than paying 100.00 and up and getting the same effect, or worse, like the Wiley X's.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

I thought this was gonna be about deployment chicks. You know.. how beer goggles make you think they're hotter than they really are? :)
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

GoldCoast wrote:I thought this was gonna be about deployment chicks. You know.. how beer goggles make you think they're hotter than they really are? :)
One of the funniest things I've ever heard concerning deployment queens was a solider, on the flight home, walked up to one and said "POOF! Now you're back to ugly!" And then walked away.

Truth hurts sometimes...
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

Return to “The Mosh Pit”