Unit Retention after Ranger School

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

coffeebean
Egg

Unit Retention after Ranger School

Post by coffeebean »

This should be easy but I don't know the answer...
I have heard that after your unit sponsors you to go Ranger School you owe them time and they can squash any orders that yo come down on for at least a year or so.
Any insight?
Merci.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Unit Retention after Ranger School

Post by Steadfast »

This is easy if you bothered to read our FAQ's, you would know a introduction by you should be your first post. You are now overdue. We do like to know who we are talking with.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

coffeebean wrote:This should be easy but I don't know the answer...
I have heard that after your unit sponsors you to go Ranger School you owe them time and they can squash any orders that yo come down on for at least a year or so.
Any insight?
Merci.
Bonjour tête de rire étouffé.

J'ai entendu qu'il est usuel de signaler une introduction avant de poser des questions sur ce conseil.

De rien.

Butchering of French language courtesy of Babelfish
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
coffeebean
Egg

Post by coffeebean »

De sole, mes freres en armes!

Vous avez raison! J'ai oublie' mon introduction...

I have been a SOT-A team member my entire career. I am in a Victor coded slot yet it has been a real effort to get a Ranger School slot. I am told it is because all the 18 series guys get the slots first. I am a 35P Crypologic linguists (french, bien sur!). I am huge into mountain biking and rock climbing and staioned as I am in Colorado Springs, obviously life is good. I just am curious about this reg because I would like to move to a higher tier unit after going to Ranger school and would hate to not be able to PCS for like a year or two after graduation.
Thanks!
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Have fun following instructions filling out the 4187 to attend the suck. My guess is if past performance is an accurate indicator of future potential.......... :roll:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
coffeebean
Egg

Post by coffeebean »

Wow, you guys really know how to make someone feel welcome. Why would you bother to post if it was only to criticize? This seems like an easy thing to answer but you guys are all just douche bags. Leading the way, indeed.
coffeebean
Egg

Post by coffeebean »

Ok, firstly: And apology to all who were offended. I have been around long enough to know that typing angry is a bad idea. So, my apology is sincere. I am sorry. Anyone who is still butt hurt should take a knee, face out, and drink water. I have been group support my whole career and my ONLY way (short of going SF) to gain respect in Group is to do my job well and have a Ranger tab. Outside of this always being a dream of mine, I also need the tab for my career. So, that being said: what is the answer to my original question? Or, where do I find the answer? FYI, I have trained with the STB down in Benning and I am not just some Group baby.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Hey, most of us have pretty thick skin by now. My sugestion is that you apply for a slot in Regiment. There are a lot of positions available.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Leading the way, indeed...
...right to the intro section, which is where the bios of new users are generally posted. Nobody is offended, just a simple request.. even 16 year olds can get it right.

Per your question?.. I dunno, I suppose depending on the command attitude they can do whatever they want, more or less. Ive seen guys get Ranger school on their way out the door, and dudes who were stuck in a "Groundhog Day" purgatory after graduation until they ETS'd. One universal I remember is if your people think you are valuable, you ain't goin' anywhere when you finish.

Roll the dice & see what you get.. Oh, and go post your intro in the proper forum please.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I am honestly suprised that these guys are being as courteous as they are towards you. Your attitude is not very impressive.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I"m impressed that you come into our house, tell us we're douches, reads a few rules, perhaps, then tells us to chill out if we still don't like how things have worked out so far.

perhaps you could could run down to one of your ODAs and ask what cultural sensitivity/understanding means. then you ask about building report. then try to apply some.

pretty sure there's a reg that covers schools, and ADSOs. that may be a good place to start. it may mention unit retention as well.

sincerely, fucko.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
lindy
Embryo

Post by lindy »

CB,

Why not ask your Team Leader, Det SGT, or S2 NCOIC about YOUR MI Det's policy before posing the question on a board? Your responses are no different than walking into a team room and acting like "one of THOSE SOT-As". This is their house and you're tracking mud everywhere. Take off your boots, clean up your mess, offer them a virtual ice case of beer, and try again.

We have a hard enough time trying to fit in with the teams without stupid shit like this (you're not stupid but your actions here are rookie mistakes). You're just confirming the sterotype that SOT-As are clueless World of Warcraft wannabees who want a short cut to cool guy status. As you know, we must be twice as proficient to be considered half as good.

As a fellow SOT-A and a TL, I must answer you like this: who gives a fuck about YOU and what YOU want? Any training you receive from the RTB will be an asset to your SOT-A as our community as a whole. I personally learned more about patrolling from my short time at RTAC than I have at Group. A Ranger qualified SOT-A is a huge asset to the SOT-A, the section (we're lucky we have two), the BN, etc.

I understand first hand about the other guys getting slots first. I have been fighting to go back to RTAC (dropped in Oct for ruck failure) and RS since Jan to no avail...yet! My advice: keep getting 300's, keep training, keep asking but be prepared to have your shit ready to fly WHEN you get the word "X can't go to Benning so we have an open slot for next week. Can you go?"

Sua Sponte is the motto for a reason. Find a way to make it happen.

Rangers, my apologies if I'm out of my lane but a Ranger informed me that a brother SOT-A needed a nudge to get back on the right track.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”