It's been a while, but

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

MsMarla
Ranger Mom

It's been a while, but

Post by MsMarla »

I just got back from visiting my son and thought, I'd let y'all know that he loves his job as a Ranger. He completed his first deployment last year and is now attempting to get through Ranger School. He, unfortunately, recycled Darby phase, which afforded me the opportunity to visit him this past weekend. He was a bit obsessed with eating, but otherwise in good spirits and ready to try again this week.

I also thought y'all should know that I used a couple more of your gift suggestions from last Christmas, which have all been hits in spite of the fact that someone stole his watch during RAP week and his knife is probably under a rock somewhere in Afghanistan. I didn't know these were things I would have to buy every year!

At least the books are still in his possession and he has really enjoyed them. So thanks again.

Words cannot express how I feel about the job that all of you do or have done for the rest of us, so I will just say...

Thank you.
Proud mother of a Ranger
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: It's been a while, but

Post by Slowpoke »

Glad to see you around again Mom. Recycling at Ranger School is nothing to be ashamed of.....most of the Rangers here have recycled a phase or two. We know he has the Warrior Ethos and will never quit, so good luck to you and your son!

Oh....and...you're welcome!

PS: A Ranger School Graduation gift Idea might be a Fairbairn-Sykes Dagger like the one at the Ranger Memorial. Not something he would want to use every day, but something he might treasure in his old age!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Having experiencfed the mountains twice, I fully agree with Ranger Slowpoke's comments. Anything worth doing is worthy of doing it again.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

As someone that spent 169 days in Ranger School (obviously not a quitter) A good knife is never a bad option. If you get to see him on his short break before heading to the mountains, bring a washer/dryer combo to save him some time and two large pizzas would also be much appreciated, I'm sure.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
MsMarla
Ranger Mom

Post by MsMarla »

Thanks, Rangers.

Ranger Slowpoke,
Thanks for the graduation gift suggestion. If I'd known before last weekend that his knife was gone, I probably would have already bought him another one. We've seen very little of him since he graduated RASP last year, so it was good to catch up with him.

I'm amazed that they are allowing letters and care packages at Ranger School now. Things were a lot different back in the early 90's. I think I'll put something together for the end of Darby since that will be the day after his birthday. Of course, the best birthday present will be moving on to the mountains! :lol:

He was a little frustrated with getting recycled because he wasn't having any trouble with the physical challenges, but the cadre weren't satisfied with his leadership skills. He's young (19). I have every confidence he'll figure it out, and the things he was telling me made me feel pretty good about the quality of the training. I sure hope Darby is the only phase he has to repeat.
Proud mother of a Ranger
Headoutdaplane
Ranger

Post by Headoutdaplane »

Care packages at RS?
Headoutdaplane
Hardrock 1/75 '83-'86
Class 2-85
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Howdy Ranger Mom !

Please don't sweat the recycle thing, and tell your young Warrior that several of us 'ol FOG's said the same thing. Most of us have done the recycle thing. He should get rid of the frustration mentality and let the ' Drive On " mentality take over.

Ranger Slowpoke has the best graduation gift idea that I've heard yet..........but a large pizza or two wouldn't hurt either. 8)

Tell your young Ranger to Drive On and Never Quit !!!
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "

Return to “The Mosh Pit”