Favorite Authors?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Dublo
Ranger

Favorite Authors?

Post by Dublo »

I was just wondering what kind of stuff all of you read.

I am a Hemingway fan personally.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Bell

Post by Bell »

Awww man. I'm a reader.

Robert E. Howard
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Evan Evans
Louis L'Amour
Doc Savage
Mac Bolan

I grew up on those books.

Robert B. Parker - Spenser
John D. McDonald - Travis McGee
Hemingway is cool (water water everywhere and not a drop to drink)

Shit, I read a lot of stuff. Gotten into military stuff lately. Some fantastic reading there. SPECOP books are always great.

RLTW
Bell
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Ranger Bell,
I will check out some of the authors that you like. There is another author out there, that does a pretty good job.

His name is Tim O'Brian. He wrote a book called "Things They Carried." It is kick ass. I had to read it for an advanced literature class....I thought that it would suck, but that book was really awesome.

He was in Vietnam....Leg....but his writing seems to capture the thoughts of soldiers really well.

I went to school for 2 years at Southwest Texas State, and he was a guest writer there. I can't remember the label that he carried, but he had an office there, and spent the winters writing on campus. He comes from Minnesota.

Check it out, it is hard to put it down though once you get started.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Not a fan of any specific author but my favorite novel is All Quiet on the Western Front. YEAH MUTHER FUCKERS, MY CRO-MAGNON ASS CAN READ!
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Frederick Forsyth; particularly "Day of the Jackal" (1971). He's the old-school originator of the spy/assassin novel....way before Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

When I can remember where I put my glasses:
Ann Rice
Louis L'Amour
J.K. Rowling
Tom Clancy
Col. Black

All the LRRP books
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I read everything I can put my hands on. Just read "The Jerico Sanction" by Oliver North....pretty decent fiction. Not only can the boy fight and stand by his President...half decent writer. Clive Cussler puts out a good read. Steven Coonts, Larry McMurtry, all good. Louis Lamour all time best ever.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

David Gemmell, anything he writes
G.R.R. Martin, the series starting with "Game of Thrones
Steven Brust, anything with Vlad in it
Raymond E. Feist
Terry Brooks

Gemmell is one of the best story tellers out there. I those of you that rear Robert E Howard will like him.

Martin is way up there, very indept book, I think in time it will be ranked up there along with Lord of the Rings.

Any CSA history book
Any book on John Slaughter
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Wendell Berry is my favorite author. He writes a lot about the human experience in America. He's from Kentucky. Not a damned thing to do with the military.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

I read voraciously, about 2-3 books a month. Its mostly military history, or science fiction. Some of my favorite authors include:

David Drake
Robert Heinlein
Jerry Pournelle
Larry Niven
Dale Brown
Harold Coyle
Stephen Coonts
W.E.B. Griffin
Tom Clancy
Stephen Ambrose
Douglas Adams
Frank Herbert
Orson Scott Card

I'm currently reading a book called Airborne: A Combat History of America's Airborne Forces. I recently finished reading The Yom Kippur War, The Filthy Thirteen, Currahee!, Combat Jump, Behind Hitler's Lines, The Redliners, We Were Soldiers, In the Company of Heroes, and have The Battle for Mogadishu, and The Guts to Try on deck.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
RachelG
Embryo

Post by RachelG »

Margaret Atwood
George Elliot
Michael Chabon
Michael Oren
Robert Heinlein
Neal Stephenson
Stephen Ambrose
Bernard Lewis
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Steven Pressfield
Hampton Sides
Stephen Ambrose
Sherry Sontag&Christopher Drew (Blind Man's Bluff)
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

I would be posting all day...

I think Louis Lamour is without doubt the all time greatest author. Harold Coyle and I talked when he and I were both still AD while he was doing the Tam Yankee Series, I always thought his were pretty good, but I am probably bias there. And Tom Clancy, one of the most over-rated egotistical pricks. (Started out great and was on a great run, but let it go to his head). I also like Ollie North, Ralph Peters, Kittfield and a couple of Woodward's books. Just finished the "Battle of Mogidishu" the other day and felt like someone punched me in the stomach as I was reading it and still couldn't put it down for a second, so that's a good one if anyone's looking. I have pretty much been consuming anything on the topic of terrorism of late. And anything to do with History.

But then, I have way too much time on my hands to read.

Godspeed,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Louie LaMour
Shelby Foote
Tom Clancy
Doyle Brunson
Dr. Suess
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “The Mosh Pit”