Geotags and Location-Based Social Networking

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Gozo
Egg

Geotags and Location-Based Social Networking

Post by Gozo »

The US Army has recently released an important presentation on "Geotags and Location-Based Social Networking" that every soldier should read. The presentation warns against the dangers to OPSEC when telling everybody where you are by using location-based social networks such as Facebook Places and Foursquare, or by posting pics online with embeded geotags (gps info).

See also, a related article on ArmyTimes, instructions for disabling geotagging in smartphones, and a [url=[/url] (to get rid of geotags).

(Admin NOTE: Your links have been erased - appears to be advertising & this is your 1st post?)
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Geotags and Location-Based Social Networking

Post by Steadfast »

What do you say Gozo. Make an introduction your next post & be sure to read our FAQ's.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

I can kind of see the concern, but don't really see the OPSEC violation part of it. Any photo that violates OPSEC is going to do it regardless of whether or not there's a geo-tag in the meta-data.

I mean, what's the concern here? That soldiers are going to post up photos of the inside of their FOB, showing the locations of their guard towers? I'm pretty sure the enemy's already keenly aware of that, what with them being fucking guard towers. The sandbagged thing on top of the hescos with a 240 barrel sticking out of it is probably not assumed to be a basketball hoop.

If we're talking about pictures of sensitive ops, well, why the fuck does the soldier have a civilian camera on his person in the first damn place? I understand wanting to get cool guy battle pictures, but no. Those should be taken away by TLs during PCIs.

Now, doing "check-in"s on FourSquare or Facebook would give real-time positional information to whoever they were sharing their data with, so that's a valid OPSEC concern. But, anyone doing check-ins while in theater is a fucking jackass with too much time on his hands.

Summary:
Geo-tagging photos is no big deal.
Taking pictures of sensitive ops is retarded and deserves getting punched.
GPS check-ins on civilian networks should be banned for people in theater.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
31bSoldier
US Army

Post by 31bSoldier »

EvilCouch wrote:But, anyone doing check-ins while in theater is a fucking jackass with too much time on his hands.
Ranger EvilCouch, 2 things:

1) We've all met jackasses like that, and every one of them needs to have a chat with their leadership regarding FM 22-102.

2) Thanks for making me laugh out loud...at work, on the MP Desk, and having 1 Sgt and 1 Ssg both think I'm off my rocker!
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

To be fair, I think it'd be funny to see some Joe become the "Mayor" of "Sniper Hide #2" or something stupid like that. If I was their SL, I'd be laughing really hard as I smoked the shit out of them and then made them delete their FourSquare account.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
31bSoldier
US Army

Post by 31bSoldier »

Before you have them delete it Ranger EvilCouch, I would suggest making them work to become "Mayor" of "Burn Shitter #2".....fuckin burn shitters....

Return to “The Mosh Pit”