(Lengthy) Status Update

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Spawn Of Zonk
Tadpole

(Lengthy) Status Update

Post by Spawn Of Zonk »

Rangers and Forum Members Alike,

I am posting to give an update to all of the Rangers who have been giving me support (and criticism) over the past few years. For those who don’t know and did not make the screen name connection, I am Wil and I am the son of Ranger Zonk 1/75. After graduating high school in mid-June of 2008, I began Basic Cadet Training at the United States Air Force Academy in late-June of 2008. I had the intention of graduating with my USAFA class in 2012 with a major in Behavioral Science and later becoming a pilot for the Air Force. Unfortunately, I was not up to the academic standard that the Academy wished for and had to leave at the end of my Sophomore year in May of 2010.

I had entered the Academy with relatively good grades throughout high school and solid scores on my standardized tests (ACT, SAT). However, I had never been exposed to Physics or Engineering of any kind. I recognized early on how difficult the academics would be, in particular the two mentioned subjects. Despite my desire to be a Behavioral Science major, all cadets must take two Physics classes and five Engineering classes. I struggled through my first year, not only receiving my first D’s and F’s but also receiving below a 2.0 GPA. I gave up the beginning of summer leave after my Freshman (Doolie) year in order to go to an Academic Review Committee. I managed to get retained by our Superintendant, Lieutenant General Gould, with the understanding that I must bring up my grades. I gave up the remainder of my summer leave in order to take a class and managed to receive a B. To my dismay, this positive improvement was not a sign of how well I would do in the coming academic year.

I spent the entirety of the first semester of my Sophomore year working on academics. I had left the Rugby team and put my snowboarding gear in storage in order to keep my focus on grades. I managed to pass Physics I with a C- and Mechanical Engineering with a C. I had spent a total of over 200 hours one on one teaching with either teacher throughout the year and still had to receive a B on my Physics final and an A on my EngrMech final in order to pass. Simply put, I barely squeaked by either course despite my best efforts. The second semester of my Sophomore year included Physics II, a class I knew would be extremely hard. At the end of the semester, I had logged 125 hours one on one “Extra Instruction” with my Physics II teacher and I was still mathematically incapable of passing the class (I had to receive over 100% on the final that no one had ever scored above an 80%).

Thanks to my hard work throughout the year, the Academy was not intending to kick me out at the end of my Sophomore year despite my grades. However, if I had continued into my Junior year I would be committing to the Air Force. With said commitment, if I were to fail one more class for the next two years I would be kicked out, leaving me the choice of a $200,000+ debt to the Air Force or six years enlisted in a job that they would choose for me. Recognizing that I still had to retake Physics II, Aeronautical Engineering, Astronautical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering, I had to make a decision. I knew that these classes would be extremely difficult for me and that the chances of me failing were rather large. However, if I were to leave USAFA prior to my Junior year there would be no repercussions in the way of enlistment or money.

After speaking with my parents and the majority of people I consider my mentors (several of which are members of this forum), I came to the decision that it would be more practical for me to leave USAFA and find a more applicable road to both an education and military service; in essence, I was tactically retreating in order to regroup and form a new plan of action to reach my goals. I left USAFA in mid-May and spent some time in Colorado to cool down and weigh my options. During those two weeks, I was lucky enough to spend some time at a ranch in southern Colorado and even go bull-riding, a pastime that I am now happily retired from. I then met my parents and what should be an illegally large amount of Rangers at Ranger Andy Bell’s ranch for Ranger Ranch, giving me an opportunity to speak with many of my mentors in person about my situation.

From weighing the options with my family, Rangers, and myself I determined that I still wanted to finish getting my college education prior to going into the military. I knew that my drive for completing my education would dwindle with time, and decided I would enter the military after completing my education; as many of the Rangers expressed, the military will still be there after I graduate.

Upon returning home to California in June, I sent an email out to a handful of college lacrosse coaches who were recruiting me to play lacrosse back when I was in high school. I knew that due to my deficient grades (sub 2.0) I would not be able to simply apply to any college and get in. Fortunately, the coach for Notre Dame De Namur (NDNU) in Belmont, CA (San Francisco Peninsula) showed interest. Because NDNU has a Division II lacrosse program, the coach had a large amount of pull with admissions. With his help, I was accepted to attend NDNU for this Fall, 2010 year. On a side note, I also took several courses over the summer in order to increase my GPA. I have completed two of the classes (Business and Philosophy) and received high A's in both courses.

I have just completed registering for my classes for this semester and recently finished moving into my new apartment. I am majoring in Psychology and will be playing defense for the lacrosse team; without this team, I would not even be considered to attend NDNU. I will be seeing an academic counselor once a week in order to ensure my success at my new institution. After graduation, I have several plans that all involve returning to the military. I may return to the military in an undetermined branch either enlisted or OCS, a route that will get me back on my desired track as soon as possible. On the other hand, I may continue my education and receive my doctorate in Psychology with the hopes of becoming a Psychologist in the Armed Forces. Either way, my desire to serve is still a huge driving force that will not be ignored.

I would like to thank all of those Rangers who have helped me over the past few months with an extremely difficult time in my young life. I would like to emphasize that I did not leave the Academy simply because I did not like it. I actually enjoyed most aspects of the Academy, in particular the military aspect; I was simply unable to perform at the high academic level that USAFA rightfully demands and made a decision that will still allow me to reach my goals. I hope that this (lengthy) status update serves its purpose of informing those who were interested of my current situation. I hope all is well with you and yours, Rangers. Thank you for your time.

With Great Respect,

Spawn of Zonk
Wil
Never Falter, Never Fail

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost

Mentee of Ranger Zonk 1/75
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: (Lengthy) Status Update

Post by Slowpoke »

Well done sitrep Spawn. It was fun watching you and Andy's son playing Beer Pong topless.....at least better than some of the alteratives!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Spawn of Zonk
Not only do I comprehend, but I also completely understand your situation, and I salute you for your update post and the level-headed, mature attitude reflected in your post. Your experiences to date will serve you well in the new direction of your life. Relish those experiences; hold your head up high and excel in those areas in which you are meant. I wish you God speed.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Sounds like a great plan, "Mini-Z." Sounds like you put a lot of thought into it all. I know you'll excell.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

good on ya for continuing forward. now if they only had a program for beer pong... :D
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

fucking quiiter!!!

just fucking w ya! you gave alot more than most and came out it a better man. i say that makes you a succces
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I rode a bull once. Wait, she just looked like a bull.

Wil, if even 10% of your generation were as squared away as you, our future would be secure beyond doubt. Your mother & father have much to be proud of.

And remember, it's all about leverage.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

If Engineering was easy then everyone would be driving a train.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Drive on Sponk!

It takes a lot to be able to lay your junk out on the table, HERE, and say "have at it".
You are a good young man. Good luck at NDU (Really?!?LOL). Focus on your degree, and then work your life out from there. It'll come to you.

Actually one of the better sitreps we've seen in a while.

Now go play "hide and go fuck yourself" stud!
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Physics and engineering mandates in the USAF academy?

Those classes are no joke...

How does that work? They field a football team. Do the football players get over or some shit?
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

meh, who cares about all that math crap anyways....are ya getting to play some lacrosse? Run with the big dogs while you can, freakin math will always be there, should u chose to abuse yourself with it. I have a BA and MA in Behavioral and Social Sciences for good reason! I got off the math track in 4th grade and never looked back :)

But you will need to know some stats....:P
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

The great thing about math, physics & engineering is that you don't have to be any good at them. If you get a job that involves them, you will have plenty of Indian & Pakistani 20 somethings to do the hard thinking for you. :D
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “The Mosh Pit”