General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

DrD
Tadpole

Who were the greatest military leaders?

Post by DrD »

Hi All;

A while back, Joshua issued this challenge:

I am a big fan of battlefield experience that lead to adjustment of tactics. So often army's learn lessons on the battlefield and do not adjust their tactics to compensate for shortcomings. There also tend to be a problem of the transfer of battlefield experience between units say the Marines and the Army.

The more experienced the unit and its commanders , the more accurate can they read the "game" and do adjustments accordingly. This model as suggested in the video can never replace that. What it does imply is that it can confirm and to a lesser account predict trends on the behavior of enemy troops based on input data.

So DrD, here is the challenge. Develop a model that can incorporate battlefield experience with statistics

I took it, and rolled with it. We now have three Universities involved, and are expecting three more - two of which War Colleges. Joining also is one of my mentors, who happens to be a colleague of yours from Vietnam. For those of you who do know him, expect that he may be contacting you himself as well. Right now, we are doing a lot of background research. Joshua's challenge is special and non-trivial, because it requires taking the knowledge and thoughts of great military minds and somehow miraculously getting that info into a program in such a way that the program can be helpful in reading a given situation.

I am asking if you will be willing to share your thoughts and insights as we go along. If you are, my first question to you is:

Who were the greatest military leaders (as you would define greatness... not how a book would; and not constrained to any one branch, country, or time period)?

Thank you for your help.
DrD
~Black Raven~
DrD
Tadpole

Re: Who were the greatest military leaders?

Post by DrD »

Thank you, TC204!! I know... there are so very many. I have two assistants bogged down just getting military books. (Btw... thanks to all for the thoughts you gave on books on a different thread... awesome start to our list!!)

But, don't lay off just because it is a lot, please. As long as you all are willing to share your thoughts, that is... No one on this project is a rookie, and no one scares easy. Success comes only when all the quiet background work is done.

Thank you. :-)
DrD
~Black Raven~
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Alexander the Great

He united the Greeks and conquered from Greece to just inside India. His he was brilliant with the use of cavalry and his tactics where used as the example by many of the greatest. The Spartans refused to join in his campaign as they will not fight unless they are lead by a Spartan general and that’s why they where not involved in the conquest. Alexander did a very interesting and brilliant move as he conquered. He left the local governments of the people he conquered in charge to run the daily affairs but those officials had to report to his generals. We saw politics involved to ensure the Empire remained intact. After his death his generals vied for position to take over and that’s why the empire crumbled. Ancient Greeks where mostly fair hared and blue or green eyed. Today we see tribes in Afghanistan that still have elders that speak Greek and people with light collored eyes. Alexander was known to leave men behind to intermingle with the locals and even get married and remain. The head gear that the Afghn men wear today is from Greece. His tactics where far beyond military conquests, he literally won the hearts and minds of the people.

Attila the Hun

Was also considered a brilliant general. His use of alliances was brilliant. His Empire was comparable in size to that of Alexander. He also used cavalry but also had at his disposal breaching machines, as he had to fight armies behind walls. Nevertheless, he got the job done.

Leonidas King of Sparta

He as all Spartans was born and raised to fight. He had the military knowledge and guts to take his 300 and lead the delaying battle that will ultimately kill him and his men in order the rest have time to organise the final defeat of the Persians. With him remained at Thermopylae to fight to the death the 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians and 1000 Helots. The Helots where the slaves of the Spartans, they where released to go home but for the love of the Spartan ethos decided to stay and fight. The final battle at Thermopylae saw 2000 Greeks fight the massive army of Darius. All the Greeks were killed. I speculate that had it not been for Leonida’s foresight and sacrifice Darius may have reached Gaul and history would not have seen the raise of the Roman empire nor the raise of Attila and so on.

This was all out of memory If research some maybe I’ll post more.
Last edited by Chiron on June 13th, 2009, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Leroy Jenkins
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Don't forget the Native American Warrior Leaders:

Geronimo
Sitting Bull
Chief Joseph
Crazy Horse
Cochise
TECUMSEH

Just to name a few.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

DrD,
Who were the greatest military leaders you asked...... I find I cannot help but wonder if many of the greatest are not talked about, in my humble opinion the most natural of leaders are quiet professionals who just go about their work not for the recognition, money, or status.... they simply do it to help keep the world a safer place for all to survive in.

Just my 2 cents, I hope you do not mind my post I am by no means an expert, just a civilian who is thankful for the brave men and women who serve to help protect our freedoms.

Thanks, Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

garyedolan wrote:General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
One of the greatest phony self-seeking imitations of a good leader there ever was.
His rep as a good leader is unsupported by evidence!

Outstanding leader from his era, and one who stands up to any scrutiny is one of our greatest generals and one of the least known is Mathew Ridgeway.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

panthersix wrote:Don't forget the Native American Warrior Leaders:

Geronimo
Sitting Bull
Chief Joseph

Crazy Horse
Cochise
TECUMSEH

Just to name a few.
My picks also!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Jenny Lynn wrote:DrD,
Who were the greatest military leaders you asked...... I find I cannot help but wonder if many of the greatest are not talked about, in my humble opinion the most natural of leaders are quiet professionals who just go about their work not for the recognition, money, or status.... they simply do it to help keep the world a safer place for all to survive in.

Just my 2 cents, I hope you do not mind my post I am by no means an expert, just a civilian who is thankful for the brave men and women who serve to help protect our freedoms.

Thanks, Jenny
You mean like Audie Murphy and Alvin York? :)
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

All;

Thank you!! This is fantastic. I am adding to my list as you add to this forum. I am noting the leaders that cause disagreement, so that I can circle back on those later.

Jenny Lynn;

Indeed. Precisely why I asked for greatness as they saw it. I am in no position to define a great military leader. :D

Best;
DrD
~Black Raven~

Return to “The Mosh Pit”