Who were the greatest military leaders?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

panthersix
Ranger

Re: Who were the greatest military leaders?

Post by panthersix »

Hung Low wrote:Me. 8)

Just kidding. Otto Skorzeny's one of my fav's.
I'm pretty sure a great military leader doesn't need adult supervision :mrgreen:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

panthersix wrote:Don't forget the Native American Warrior Leaders:

Geronimo
Sitting Bull
Chief Joseph
Crazy Horse
Cochise
TECUMSEH

Just to name a few.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangas_Coloradas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

K.Ingraham wrote:
garyedolan wrote:General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
One of the greatest phony self-seeking imitations of a good leader there ever was.
His rep as a good leader is unsupported by evidence!

Outstanding leader from his era, and one who stands up to any scrutiny is one of our greatest generals and one of the least known is Mathew Ridgeway.
Two of my favorite characters in history are Truman and MacArthur, who clearly butted heads on major issues. MacArthur's bravery in combat is well documented as he was the most decorated soldier in World War I, and many stories abound about his flair and courage. Although he antagonized many of his peers & FOGs, he was single handedly responsible for modernizing the Academy to produce better officers to lead the country in modern times. During the Great Depression he forewarned about facism. MacArthur may have made his greatest contribution to history in the next five and a half years, as Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers in Japan. By force of his personality, he shaped the rebuild of Japan. Although the able leadership of General Matthew B. Ridgway stabilized the military situation near the prewar boundary at the 38th parallel, MacArthur earlier reversed the dire military situation in Korea with a brilliant amphibious assault behind North Korean lines at the Port of Inchon. The bickering with Truman culminated in his being relieved over his convctions in opposition to Truman.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

Moses = Convictions and Intestinal Fortitude
Sun Tzu = Concepts, Tactics and Teachings
Genghis Khan = Efficiency and "Post" conquer ideology
Scipio Africanus = Concepts and Tactics
Hannibal = Concepts
Robert Rogers = Concepts and Tactics
Francis Marion = Concepts and Tactics
Leander H. McNelly = Concepts, Intelligence and Command Presence
Orde Charles Wingate = Convictions and Concepts
Robert Tryon Frederick = Convictions and Tactics
Omar Nelson Bradley = Teachings, Professionalism and Command Presence

Problem is depending on the Standing army use of strategy.........What commander do you want? What are you facing? Personal favorite will be chosen upon learning of what type of "WAR" I would be engaging.

It would always boil down to a blend of Sun Tzu, Scipio Aricanus, Genghis Khan, Leander McNelly, Omar Bradley.
Just my Opinion

But Opinions are like assholes.............strain hard enough and you get a hung jumper called "Hemorrhoid".
Last edited by Caruthers on June 14th, 2009, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Caruthers wrote: Problem is depending on the Standing army use of strategy.........What commander do you want? What are you facing? Personal favorite will be chosen upon learning of what type of "WAR" I would be engaging.

It would always boil down to a blend of Sun Tzu, Scipio Aricanus, Genghis Khan, Leander McNelly, Omar Bradley.
I agree, Ranger Caruthers. You are one or two stages ahead of me. :D Right now we are casting a wide net - every major battle, every major tactical method, every great leader, weapons, etc. Without regard to anything, except that we capture all pertinent info. This stage of info gathering gets overwhelming, fast. But, I am fortunate enough to have some excellent historians and specifically war historians on this. I am using your guidance to 'point' them to information that you and others feel is important. Then we will let it "fall" into categories... this is where the "type" of war will come into play. We are a looong way from elegance. Many months, if not years. But, we rush it now, and we will have crap to work with later.

Thank you!
DrD
~Black Raven~
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

All;

From another source, I got this military leader: Adolf Hitler. This person's opinion was that although he was reprehensible, he was an extremely good military leader.

What do you think? Should he be included, or not?

Thank you!
DrD
~Black Raven~
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

DrD wrote:
Caruthers wrote: Problem is depending on the Standing army use of strategy.........What commander do you want? What are you facing? Personal favorite will be chosen upon learning of what type of "WAR" I would be engaging.

I agree, Ranger Caruthers. You are one or two stages ahead of me. :D Right now we are casting a wide net - every major battle, every major tactical method, every great leader, weapons, etc. Without regard to anything, except that we capture all pertinent info. This stage of info gathering gets overwhelming, fast. But, I am fortunate enough to have some excellent historians and specifically war historians on this. I am using your guidance to 'point' them to information that you and others feel is important. Then we will let it "fall" into categories... this is where the "type" of war will come into play. We are a looong way from elegance. Many months, if not years. But, we rush it now, and we will have crap to work with later.

Thank you!
DrD

If major battles, tactical method, leader, weapons..............this will include Politicians of the past. Churchill, Roosevelt,Stalin and even Adolf Hitler, Oshima Hiroshi and Benito Mussolini.
The reason I say this, in many cases, with out the "Political" will to make changes in the way things happen, many of our Military leaders would have never surfaced. While back in the day........the Military leader was the politician and there for the "Political" will won.

With that in mind I will hit my books.

Is Joshua in on this?
Last edited by Caruthers on June 14th, 2009, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

DrD wrote:All;

From another source, I got this military leader: Adolf Hitler. This person's opinion was that although he was reprehensible, he was an extremely good military leader.

Thank you!
DrD

My humble opinion is that Adolf Hitler was a politician..........not a "Great" military leader. He did have some brilliant military leaders in his command. Hitler, lost more battles, do to his direct leadership, and compartmentalization of chain of command, than he ever won.

Thomas Jefferson

- Norm Franz
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Caruthers wrote:
DrD wrote:All;

Thank you!
DrD

My humble opinion is that Adolf Hitler was a politician..........not a "Great" military leader. He did have some brilliant military leaders in his command. Hitler, lost more battles, do to his direct leadership, and compartmentalization of chain of command, than he ever won.
Germany would have been very difficult to defeat if at all, but for Hitler's meddling with military actions, policies, and decisions.

but there probably wouldn't have been a WWII without his actions either.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
allmylife
Tadpole

Post by allmylife »

I feel that in the Psychological Operations aspect of war Hitler was great. He was able to convince many people to think and believe what he wanted them to. A war is waged with your mind as well as your weapon.

Just my 2 cents..
Operation Enduring Freedom (OCT 09 -AUG 10)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”