WTF...Gas in Georgia/Tennessee/Kentucky?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

WTF...Gas in Georgia/Tennessee/Kentucky?

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

My Grandmother died Monday morning, so I drove up from FL on I75 to London, KY, across the Hal Rodgers Parkway to Huntington, WV. As soon as I left FL, the gas ordeal began. All through Georgia, Tennessee, and part of Kentucky, along I75, there is a gas shortage, or whatever you want to call it. I would exit to get gas, and drive by several gas stations to find that they were out of gas; so, I hopped back on the Interstate and drove down to the next town to repeat the above steps. I came back today, and it was much, much worse. I seriously thought I was going to run out of gas 3 times today. Atlanta was crazy. I saw a cop breaking up a fight at a gas station that was out of fucking gas anyways. Kennessaw had a single station that had regular, I guess, with, no joke, like 70 cars in line.

I finally was able to get gas in Mcdonough, after waiting in line for an hour, and I got the fuck out of that fucked up state. As soon as I crossed into FL, the gas outage magically ceased to be.

I should also mention that I have a Jeep that gets a whopping 230 miles to a tank of gas. I'm not leaving FL again until I have 2 jerry cans full of gas to ride along with me.

The whole situation is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure if there is a for-real gas shortage, or self-fulfilling prophecy created and fueled by mass hysteria. Don't these states have a back-up plan for gas? Why isn't FL/WV/OH suffering from this right now too?

On a positive note, I love West Virginia. It has to be one of the most beautiful states. I want to buy some mountain land with a small river/large creek running through it.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Re: WTF...Gas in Georgia/Tennessee/Kentucky?

Post by BruteForce »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:My Grandmother died Monday morning, so I drove up from FL on I75 to London, KY, across the Hal Rodgers Parkway to Huntington, WV. As soon as I left FL, the gas ordeal began. All through Georgia, Tennessee, and part of Kentucky, along I75, there is a gas shortage, or whatever you want to call it. I would exit to get gas, and drive by several gas stations to find that they were out of gas; so, I hopped back on the Interstate and drove down to the next town to repeat the above steps. I came back today, and it was much, much worse. I seriously thought I was going to run out of gas 3 times today. Atlanta was crazy. I saw a cop breaking up a fight at a gas station that was out of fucking gas anyways. Kennessaw had a single station that had regular, I guess, with, no joke, like 70 cars in line.

I finally was able to get gas in Mcdonough, after waiting in line for an hour, and I got the fuck out of that fucked up state. As soon as I crossed into FL, the gas outage magically ceased to be.

I should also mention that I have a Jeep that gets a whopping 230 miles to a tank of gas. I'm not leaving FL again until I have 2 jerry cans full of gas to ride along with me.

The whole situation is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure if there is a for-real gas shortage, or self-fulfilling prophecy created and fueled by mass hysteria. Don't these states have a back-up plan for gas? Why isn't FL/WV/OH suffering from this right now too?

On a positive note, I love West Virginia. It has to be one of the most beautiful states. I want to buy some mountain land with a small river/large creek running through it.
DAYUM! WTF is going on along the East Coast and South/East coastline? I know before my mother took off for Germany she said Houson was experiencing the same thing.

We're not seeing any of that out here in Utah! :shock:
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

No Problems in Oklahoma, either.

Sorry about your Grandmother.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Hi all,
I have not heard or seen any issues with gas shortages here in WA State.

ANGRYcivilian, Prayers out to you and your family during your time of loss.
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I guess my lack of manners is evident: Apologies for your loss AngryCivilian. I wish I still had Grandparents, but my father's side passed before I was out of diapers and my mothers side perished during WWII (they were German).
US Army 1986 - 1994
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

My buddy is a cop in SC, and he says that he has been doing nothing more than breaking up altercations at gas stations for the past week.

He says that the cost of fuel is at $4 a gallon, that food is rising in cost, and that people are increasingly on edge.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I paid 3.19 for gas the other day and I forget what diesel was but was the cheapest price in a long time.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Horned Toad wrote:I paid 3.19 for gas the other day and I forget what diesel was but was the cheapest price in a long time.
Wow, thats cheap.

Usually I see upward of 6 to 10 tankers in Verrazzano Narrows but saw only 6 Friday. No lines here. Cheapest price I saw was $3.59 - normal is $3.71

Condolences to you & your family on the loss of your Grandmother AC.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

They're blaming the gas shortages on the hurricanes shutting down the Gulf Coast refineries. Just more oil companies bullshit to remind the public who's the boss!

Paid $3.50/gal for regular in Oregon yesterday, and no shortages here.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

Condolences on the loss of your Grandmother.

Living and driving in GA has been quite the pain in the ass the last couple of weeks. The wife and I spent the better part of 3 hours early yesterday morning looking for gas. A gas station near our house had the police called 3 times yesterday when they received a shipment of gas and the madness ensued. One of the old timers there said a gun was involved in one of the fights.

Most of the stations have restrictions, so that you can usually only get $10 or $20 worth of gas at a time. There's nothing like waiting in line for an hour to get 2 gallons of gas.

I saw the Lt. Gov on the news Friday saying that the crisis only had about a week left. After that the fuel shipments are supposed to be restored to pre-Ike levels. We'll see.

Really sucked this weekend because me and the boys were supposed to spend a day up at Mt. Yonah. :cry:
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Slowpoke wrote:Paid $3.50/gal for regular in Oregon yesterday, and no shortages here.
It's about the same here in Utah. No shortages and the prices continue to drop about $.10 every few days..
US Army 1986 - 1994
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

it's around $3.35-$3.45/gal here in Iowa.

No shortages.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

My parents live in KY. Apparently there was an Ike panic, which drained gas stations dry. All of the rest of it is just supply trying to catch up with demand.

Gas is $3.39 here in central MO. My son paid $3.16 dowin in Springfield, MO.

By the way, we're hiring qualified PSD instructors again - GS-11 (term) plus loads of overtime and some moderate travel. Rounds out to about $62-65K per year with cheap cost of living...
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Thank you, everyone, for the words of condolence. The family seems to be doing OK. They were hysterical before I arrived. Apparently, I'm the only one who can turn off emotion when tasks must be done.

I have to say this, if my Grandmother hadn't gotten "most" of the funeralesque arrangements prepared years ago, we would have been in much worse shape. Not one of us really had any idea what had to be done; but, we got a crash course. It's one lesson I will not forget. I'm going to have everything ready to go for me, cremation prepaid, the box, explicit instructions, the will, the attorney, all the financial shit ORGANIZED and whoever my inheritor is will be added to the accounts.

Did I mention, I really love West Virginia? :D
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “The Mosh Pit”