WTF...Gas in Georgia/Tennessee/Kentucky?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

North Carolina is doing fine. No lines. The low in Fayetteville is $3.67. The normal amount is around $3.80. I think the reason Georgia is freaking out is because the pipeline that brings fuel to that region comes from refineres on the Gulf coast. We also use that pipeline, but we have alternate lines coming from other refineries. This is what happens when you haven't built a refinery since around the time I was born (early 1960s).

Supply and demand. The demand has gone way up, but the supply side hasn't changed their methods in 40 years. Don't blame this on gas companies, but blame it on the number one thing that fucks up an economy in any nation, and in any time period. The Government.

Specifically government regulations dealing with the environment.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

The only lines we have here are at the stations that have the cheapest gas, sometimes 10 cents cheaper than the going price.

Some guy in NY (I think it was the Bronx..) tried undercutting the price a few years ago when it started creeping over $2/gal. He had a Getty station, and must have leased it from the oil company, judging by what happened.

He was selling it for about 25 cents cheaper. Getty told him he couldn't do that and he said, "Fuck you! Once I buy the gas from you it's my gas. I can sell it for whatever price I see fit." And he was selling a lot.

Getty says, "Oh yeah? Try doing it without a gas station" and showed up with dozers one day. They took everything he owned (displays, soda machines, coolers..) and placed them outside. They then proceeded to flatten the building to the foundation while the TV cameras filmed it. It was un-fucking real!

For that reason I'll leave my car on the side of the road with an empty tank before I go to Getty again. That and they are partners with Lukoil. (for those who don't know, that was the private Russian oil company that was taken over by Putin & Co.)

That is some gangsta shit.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Getty?
Before the Bill Gates era, Getty was the richest man on the planet. Skilled, ruthless and cunning, his book 'How to be rich' is a timeless business classic. His drive and determination are legendary. He was an asshole's asshole. Prolly would have made a great Ranger... :lol: Don't hate the playa' hate the game.
I'm just sayin'
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Who would have thought, You were volume gouged. Because these gas stations didn't have the simple courtesy to re-price their product upwards in a shortage in order to ensure continued availability of supply.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the aggressive anti-market , :oops: I mean "anti-gouging" laws in those states.

I guess basic economic truths like the laws of supply and demand can't just be legislated away. Maybe someone should tell our two totalitarian, :oops: I mean "presidential" hopefuls.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

This thread is more about the gas problems I encountered while traveling to/from WV; but, I wanted to share this story.

My dad almost shot himself in the face, by accident. We were going through some of my grandmother's stuff, and he found this writing pen. He was messing around with it, and pulled back this little lever. I guess he thought it was one of those old ink pens that sucked the ink up into the pen with the little lever. Anyways, he was turning it around in his hands, and looking into the hole at the tip. He angled the tip away from his face, and was in the process of placing the pen on the table, when he flipped the lever down. The writing pen fired a .22 short into the ceiling, and scared the shit out of us. His dog pissed on the floor.

Once I got past the WTF just happened stage, I laughed so hard I almost pissed myself. I took the pen apart after that, and it's so easy to make one just like it, it's not even funny. :D Fucking Granny! She had several derringers and Sat Night Specials, and a black-jack. A fucking black-jack...I laughed for a good hour thinking about her knocking someone out with that black-jack.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:The writing pen fired a .22 short into the ceiling, and scared the shit out of us. His dog pissed on the floor.

:D Fucking Granny! She had several derringers and Sat Night Specials, and a black-jack. A fucking black-jack...I laughed for a good hour thinking about her knocking someone out with that black-jack.
That was some granny you had there. Glad nobody got hit by that .22.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Strykerguy56
Tadpole

Post by Strykerguy56 »

Angry Civilian-Sorry about your loss. How is WV and Huntington these days? Graduated from Marshall in May of 07 and Ive only been back once or twice. Gotta agree with ya on the loving West Virginia thing. If it wasnt for everything I had back at home (which isnt much), I woulda stayed in a heartbeat

Return to “The Mosh Pit”