Moderator: Site Admin

jakeshoe
Ranger

Post by jakeshoe »

j.rico wrote:
jakeshoe wrote:Does anybody recognize the location of the bottom pic:
Is that the fucking old motor pool?
Yes it is.
I guess anyway, I wasn't there when ya'll got all the new shit.
I've talked to Sherm a few times over the last couple of years though. He is back there now.

That black car used to sit behind B co. Some of the B Co guys will remember it. It was black and gray.

The SGM was after me for awhile. The car belonged to the RMP and I had done a drag style burnout and launch behind HHC one day while one of my boys was on Staff Duty.
He told me the SGM came running out of his office, by the SD desk and out the back door of HHC to see who was making all the noise.
By that time I had turned onto the road by B co and was wide open throttle until I had to shut it down to turn into A co, near 100 mph.
Parked it at A co and walked over to the motor pool.
SGM spread the word that anyone caught driving that car would be in deep shit. :twisted:
The Ranger on Staff duty (I had just talked to him) didn't know who was driving the car 8)
Aco/HHC 2/75 95-99
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

jakeshoe wrote:
j.rico wrote:
jakeshoe wrote:Does anybody recognize the location of the bottom pic:
Is that the fucking old motor pool?
Yes it is.
I guess anyway, I wasn't there when ya'll got all the new shit.
Either was I, well I was and I wasn't. We just got it all set up and then I left for another trip right before I came down here to Austin. So as nice as it was, I never really got to use it.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
jakeshoe
Ranger

Post by jakeshoe »

GSXRanger wrote:
jakeshoe wrote:Is the stock GSXR cam too big and kills low-mid range torque?

I always go a bit towards the tight side on valve lash when I'm building racing motors and the cam is properly selected.

Loosening the lash alters the duration at the valve and causes quicker valve opening and closing but it is rougher on the valvetrain.

However I don't mess with the motorcycle stuff.

Does anybody recognize the location of the bottom pic:

There are no pushrods in my GSXR. It is a shim under bucket / overhead cam set up... so, running a looser clearance on the valves is actually EASIER on the valvetrain. :wink:
I'm familiar with the differences in the valvetrains. Lash is still "slop" in the valvetrain no matter whether you're transmitting the motion through a lifter, pushrod, rocker or through a lever type cam follower with shims on the end, or through a direct cap/shim setup.
I also assumed you were keeping it within factory specs or close.
However you'll have to explain how "looser" is easier on the valvetrain.

On an engine that see the 13-14K+ rpm that a Gixxer does, and 10 K between valve maintenance, I would definitely want to stay on the tighter side. As it wears it the lash gets wider/looser. If it is on the tight side of spec, then you can go longer before the wear brings it out of spec.

If it was an easy deal to check like a SBC, it would be a good idea to run it both ways to learn more about what the motor likes, however as much of a PITA as that is to even check, much less alter the lash I know what I would do with it.
Especially if it has kept the lash on the tight side for the last 10K.

I'm assuming since you have a 10 second ride you understand how cam ramps work particularly on a mechanical setup.
Aco/HHC 2/75 95-99
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Umm..Not sure what I like more, your bike or the avatar. I think I just spent 2 minutes of my life watching your avatar cycling scenes! :oops:

Living so close to the raceway just outside Monterey has to be paying off, eh? :D
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce

Return to “The Mosh Pit”