Left-Handed Shooter

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Russo
Embryo

Left-Handed Shooter

Post by Russo »

Haven't posted in a long time, but a question popped into my head that the search button couldn't seem to help with.

I'm still preparing to join and I was wondering about how the Army and the Regiment feels about left-handed shooters. Do they make you learn to shoot righty? Does the brass from Army weapons smack a lefty in the face?

I am mighty curious about this and wanted to know if I should start practicing shooting right-handed so I'm not so behind the curve when crunch time comes. Any help is appreciated.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

They make all the left handed guys go Navy. It's a law.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

EarthPig wrote:They make all the left handed guys go Navy. It's a law.
RLTW
EP

Yep, I read it.

UCMJ Law Review 1961, February
Edition IV
Chapter 9, paragraph 14.....

.....Under all circumstance will pervasive use of right hand, right eye, left brain soldiers, marines and airman be relegated to The United States Army, Marines, and Airforce. Soldiers with left use perpencities (left hand, left eye, right brain dominace) be placed in the United States Navy. Under cost justification and Armed Force Standards, waivers are obtainable with amidexterious use agreement. (See Title 11, Form AJ-106-b)
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Abell9 wrote:
RLTW
EP

Yep, I read it.

Edition IV

.....Under all circumstance will pervasive use of right hand, right eye, left brain soldiers, marines and airman be relegated to The United States Army, Marines, and Airforce. Soldiers with left use perpencities (left hand, left eye, right brain dominace) be placed in the United States Navy. Under cost justification and Armed Force Standards, waivers are obtainable with amidexterious use agreement. (See Title 11, Form AJ-106-b)
Thanks, Abell. I knew I'd seen it, but I didn't have the book handy.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Abell9 wrote:
RLTW
EP

Yep, I read it.

Edition IV

I never knew this and never asked for a waiver. I'm right handed and left-eyed. I always qualified expert left-handed with a rifle and right handed with a pistol.

I guess the Army must have been too short-handed back then. It just reinforces my feelig that I was lucky to be able to serve with the best.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Abell9 wrote:
RLTW
EP

Yep, I read it.

Edition IV

Classic case of dominace
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

I always shot a rifle left handed, but a handgun right handed, and had no problem. Later, when required to shoot a bolt action rifle that is made for right handed shooters, I wore a patch over my left eye for a few weeks so that my eye dominance would shift over to my right eye, and taught myself to shoot a rifle right handed.

You can shoot left handed, but oveall, things will be easier if you just change your eye dominance and shoot right handed.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I was good at throwing with both hands especially the frisbee! Shame I never took advantage of it.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

The only issue I ever had was the selector switch on the M-16/M-4, you just have to use your trigger finger to operate it. Use the center sight with the M203, or no sight. The M249 and M60(I guess the 240 also) work just like using a right-handed bolt-action rifle; you keep your trigger-hand in place and use your right hand. You will throw a grenade upside down, though.

I can shoot a hand gun right-handed, but not a rifle (at least, not well). When you pick up the weapon, you'll know what to do, and how to most efficiently do it.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Cat
Tadpole

Re: Left-Handed Shooter

Post by Cat »

Russo wrote: Does the brass from Army weapons smack a lefty in the face?
Yes, it does. Brass deflectors solve this problem, if you are given one that is :lol:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:You will throw a grenade upside down, though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Cat on March 20th, 2006, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Don't be a fag. It's no fun unless you get smacked in the face a couple times. :twisted:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cams wrote:Don't be a fag. It's no fun unless you get smacked in the face a couple times. :twisted:
Women find facial scars sexy!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Russo
Embryo

Post by Russo »

Thanks a ton for the help, Rangers and other personell, especially Ranger Creeping Death. The eye patch idea is pretty slick.

I appreciate the humorous responses as well. This forum is full of characters.

Thanks again.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”