Left-Handed Shooter

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Russo wrote:
Tater Nuts wrote:Russo, do you know how to test for eye dominance ?
No, Ranger Tater Nuts, I don't. Please explain?

And that is probably the weirdest sentence I have ever typed.
How to determine eye dominance
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Russo
Embryo

Post by Russo »

Thank you RangerX. I tried a couple of the tests and I am surely left-eye dominant.

More thanks to everyone that added their knowledge on the subject, I definitely appreciate it and will put the tips to good use.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Russo wrote:Thank you RangerX. I tried a couple of the tests and I am surely left-eye dominant.

More thanks to everyone that added their knowledge on the subject, I definitely appreciate it and will put the tips to good use.
You can always figure out how to overcome the little shit.

They tried to tell me in Basic that I couldn't fire a Pig left handed, I showed them that I could. :D

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome!
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

From my sig line, you know how I shoot (and shot) Never had a problem, ever. Even managed to qualify Expert with the M-16.
ANGRYCivilian wrote: You will throw a grenade upside down, though.
Yeah, I tried that, too, but it always worked better when I wasn't standing on my head.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
jakeshoe
Ranger

Post by jakeshoe »

I never had any major issue with being a left handed firer.
I'll 2nd ANother Damn Texans repsonse about the SAW, shot at a hadji in Iraq one day and the fuckin hot brass bouncing off the bicep left some nice little scars.

I bought one of the ambi selectros for my personal Bushmaster and it ain't worth a shit. If you use it mirroring a righty, it will still hit your hand. It could be modded to work but its already 2nd nature to do the thumb off safety, trigger finger on.

I never had any issue with a bolt action, if you are supported it seems to work better, never have your trigger hand off the weapon.
Aco/HHC 2/75 95-99
T0000009

Post by T0000009 »

I shoot expert from both sides regardless of weapon.

T9's got Skilz

The pastor got beat by a girl TWICE. Pretty sad really.
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

T0000009 wrote:I shoot expert from both sides regardless of weapon.

T9's got Skilz
Skilz huh Mr.T ?....I hear you piss on your own boots when you're Drunk! :shock: :lol:

I be digging my fox hole just as fast as I can Specalist! :lol:
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

No big deal bud. I'm left handed, could change a mag and manipulate the selector switch as fast as anyone else. My squad leader had me doing mag changes and selector switch changes for hours on end.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

The Holmchicken wrote:No big deal bud. I'm left handed, could change a mag and manipulate the selector switch as fast as anyone else. My squad leader had me doing mag changes and selector switch changes for hours on end.

Haha.

That's a good point.

Whatever it takes to make you proficient, your NCO's will make you do it.

Otherwise you just won't be a Ranger that's all.
RSD 96-99
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

I think they should make the selector switch and mag release ambidexterious on military weapons........not only to accomodate the lefties but also in case a person injures their right hand or arm and needs to switch in order to stay in the game.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
jakeshoe
Ranger

Post by jakeshoe »

Hoover wrote:I think they should make the selector switch and mag release ambidexterious on military weapons........not only to accomodate the lefties but also in case a person injures their right hand or arm and needs to switch in order to stay in the game.

Hoover,
That seems cool on the surface but in reality it probably wouldn't work...

For one, with an Ambi mag release, instead of one spot for the mag to get accidentally released, you have two... Stuff gets knocked around when you are doing no shit IMT'ing, CQB, etc.. as you know.

Secondly,
I installed a ambi selector on my Bushmaster, thought it would be a good thing since I'm a lefty.
It is absolutley useless. The "righty" side of the selector hits your hand between the trigger finger and thumb as your thumb works the selector on the other side (actual right side) of the lower receiver.
You could trim the lever off but then it would be a dedicated lefty setup, not ambi. It would be a PITA whether you are lefty or righty at this point.

In the military we couldn't modify our weapons, working in Iraq we could do just about anything we wanted and I got to play with a bunch of "neat" stuff and alot of it was just that, looked cool but sometimes simplicity is reliability.
Aco/HHC 2/75 95-99

Return to “The Mosh Pit”