Marksmanship training

An area to disuss Special Operations Training. Do not violate OPSEC
Altair1017
Embryo

Marksmanship training

Post by Altair1017 »

Hello Rangers, I have been a member on this site for a while now and have learned a lot of good information. I posted a intro but to give a brief background I am 18 years old and will be joining the ARMY with a 11b option 40 contract. I have had a pretty horrible experience with my recruiters and will probably not be able to get a contract until the new year. I will devote the time until then on bettering myself in PT and other areas. Which brings me to my question: I have unfortunately had VERY little experience with fire arms. Not for lack of interest by any means just lack of resources. This has been weighing on me heavily, it is my goal to become a squad designated marksman ASAP if I am able to earn my place as a Ranger. So what should I do to maximize my chances and develop my skills as much as possible before I ship out ? Also if I am able to graduate RASP what should I do to further excel at marksmanship, will there be opportunity to receive additional marksmanship training or practice on top of the normal training day ? I know the normal training day will be exhausting and extensive already, It is just my main goal to be the very best I can be and to have marksmanship be my speciality so to speak. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. As always thank you all for your service.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Marksmanship training

Post by rangertough »

You have a lot more important things to be working on (PT comes to mind).

You will be taught how to utilize the AR model rifle in basic. Honestly, you will have fewer bad habits if you go in as a clean slate. The important thing is to listen and apply the lessons you are given.

You will be given enormous amounts of time and ammo to develop you marksmanship if/when you make it to a Battalion.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I've responded the same to others seeking guidance in this area:

The best shot in my AIT class was a guy who had never touched a gun until joining the Army. Almost everyone else has bad habits.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Altair1017
Embryo

Post by Altair1017 »

Thank you all very much. That is exactly what I needed to know and I will focus on my PT.

Return to “Special Operations Training”