Post Ranger School Training

An area to disuss Special Operations Training. Do not violate OPSEC
errie806
Embryo

Post Ranger School Training

Post by errie806 »

I am curious about the opportunities for training once a soldier becomes a ranger. What schools, if any, are available to a typical ranger for advancement. More specifically I'm curious about training such as sniper schools and halo/haho jumping etc. Thanks for your help as always.
errie806
Embryo

Re: Post Ranger School Training

Post by errie806 »

Roger Ranger ZoneIV
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

to help answer your question....Ranger school is looked at as a gateway course and the army's premier small unit leader course. period. without going to Ranger school many commanders wont even consider you for further "cool guy" schools. about the only unit that is different about that is SF but, that's a whole other story. go with what Ranger Zone IV told you but keep in the back of your mind you must be successfull in Ranger school is you want a good shot at the other schools.
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

With the regularly scheduled combat deployments that the Ranger Batts are faced with today, I honestly don't know how they fit in those cool guy schools. I suppose they do, but I don't know how. Some of the schools you asked about would be SERE, Scuba, Sniper, HALO, and Pathfinder.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

Ranger Earthpig...to answer your question....they fit the schools in on a select and as needed basis. i missed a fixed wing/rotary wing bilat to go to Ranger School. Guys will miss some individual training or refresher training if it's not mandatory to attend some schools. Schools like SERE/HALO are usually re-enlistment options. Pathfinder is a different story as Ranger Bn is an airborne unit it's army mandated on the MTOE to have a certatin number of Pathfinder/Jumpmaster Qualified guys, so they make it happen, even if a guy has to miss part of a deployment. i had a team leader that missed half of one of our deployments so he could go to the Army's Soldier of the Year competition.
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

I'm not sure if it used to be different back in the day, but at the current time the reenlistment office/NCO himself is not able to explicitly guarantee a school slot of that type with a reenlistment contract. Instead, it's basically a negotiation between you and your platoon/company COC. That being said, HALO is by and far the most exceedingly difficult slot to obtain for a regular line guy. I imagine this is a combination of the lack of necessity for the qualification and the gross limitation of slots. SCUBA on the other hand consistently has slots that goes unused by Battalion (2nd, at least) and is therefore more easily attainable.

There are a plethora of other, smaller training opportunities that offer neither a badge nor a tab but instead a shitton of excellent training.

EDIT: That being said, there are more important things to worry about. You're "R-course" pipeline and OJT in between arriving to Battalion, going to Ranger School, and shortly thereafter will be enough for anyone to worry about.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Most of the cool guy stuff doesn't come with a badge.

Honestly, and I have attended neither, the only schools that give you a badge and are actually "Cool" are MFF and CDQC. I can't believe they give out a badge for air assualt....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

hey pathfinder is by far the coolest badge out there....i mean seriously....it's got a freaking flying torch! and yes, when i had the opportunity to go i jumped on it because of the badge. only school i've ever badge hunted. haha.
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Oh of course! The badge being cool and the course being cool are two totally different things! The torch is definately one of the cooler badges out there!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Richard Cranium wrote:
goon175 wrote:Oh of course! The badge being cool and the course being cool are two totally different things! The torch is definately one of the cooler badges out there!
"Bullwinkle" badge = epitome of cool. :lol:
Read more carefully. They're discusssing 'Badgefinder', not Bullwinkle. :P
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I want this one....
http://www.aftactical.com/clothing/astr ... badge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

ZoneIV wrote:I just wish Sapper School and the Sapper Tab was around when I was in. I could have been a double canopy tanker :roll: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “Special Operations Training”