Army Mulls Women in Combat Arms Units

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
GoardHeart
Ranger

Re: Army Mulls Women in Combat Arms Units

Post by GoardHeart »

This isn't a "we don't want girls in our club" thing like I imagine a lot of ignorant Americans would like to believe. I personally believe that the majority of women, specifically in the Army, would not be able to handle the rigors of working in a branch like the infantry. Just like there are a lot of men that can't handle it. There may be a very small percentage of women that could perform but it's not many. I can't put a label on what it is, but there is a bigger issue here besides a woman's ability to perform. Women have done amazing things overseas, and no one is denying that in today's 360* battlefield there are no longer "front lines". The Soldiers in my support comany, both men and women, saw almost daily combat. I just think that the environment or the culture of the infantry would drastically be changed, and not for the better, if women were allowed in the branch. Inevitably you would run into Soldiers sleeping with other Soldiers in the same platoon, company, squad, etc. The list could go on and on. I'm not against women in the military, but not in the infantry. If the issue is some senior leaders or government officials believe it hampers promotions then that's an Army problem, not an infantry problem.
Thoughts?
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

How is men and women sleeping together any different than what will happen when the Army finishes integrating homosexuals? There are policies in place where the commander is allowed to say 'no playing kissy face with members of your unit.' I agree with your point that Infantry would change for the worse, but disagree that this is the point to hang an argument on.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

2 threads, same subject.

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=56046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Richard Cranium wrote: Besides, who wants a female around cussing like a sailor and spitting Cope? :P
I know a chick who was some type of heavy equipment driver in an Engineer unit. She swore more than I do (not easy) and dipped on top of it. I thought then and still think now she is one of the hottest all around chicks I have ever met. She still wouldn't make it as Infantry, though.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

The devil's in the details. They aren't talking female 11 series - they mean assigning women at levels lower than brigade, not opening new career fields. A woman can bang the typewriter in the PAC or 4 Shop as well as anyone.
On the other hand, the disruption that the presence of a handful of women creates in an overwhelmingly male environment, such as a combat arms batt HHC, is not worth the excellence that some individuals may bring. A unit has to receive a bunch, or none at all. Voice of experience here.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

I guess you guys haven't seen THIS SHIT yet:

http://www.soc.mil/CST/CST.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prepare to have mind blown.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

This issue is an Combatant Commander initiative in OEF. They have been working on the requirements and identifying competent team members. Expect to see a great deal more as time passes.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Dreadnought wrote:I guess you guys haven't seen THIS SHIT yet:

All the rage in Stars/Stripes here in theater. At least they have standards established for the program. It's basicly a CA mission. Women have been in CA units forever I think it's a non-issue in the "big Army" arena.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Nothing new. When we did the ACRI mission in Africa we had women deploy with our ODA. There were two. One was a dentist and one was a veterinarian.

And yes, during the four months there they had sex with about a third of the team.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
LJ_602
Ranger

Post by LJ_602 »

The head line one month after letting women in Combat Arms.

As an experiment the U.S. Army allowed 10,000 women to join the infantry. Within the first 2 weeks over 5 thousand were forced out due to pregancy. The remander demanded an MOS change, due largley to the behavior of their male peers.
USS George Washington 97-00
HC-2 SAR 00-01
C CO 2-505 PIR 82nd ABN current
Ranger Class 1-11
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

I have seen quite a few women who could outrun me.... no doubts. Seen one or two who could out shoot me. Hell most of 'em are smarter than me, thats why two of 'em nearly bled me dry. But the bottom line is this,................

I have NEVER seen one that could pick my 230 lbs of dead weight off the ground, throw me over their shoulder, police up my weapon and rucksack and then promptly move out two klicks to a EXFIL PZ at RANGER speed. Soon as I see that, I will be first one onboard. Till then all we will get is same thing cops put up with out on the street, listening to some split tail scream "Stop resisting" while you're getting your ass kicked. And PS. That female cop will get the credit for the arrest and she will be promoted over you. I'm all for them serving and they do a great job! But letting the PC crowd rule the day will get someone's daughter killed and some good operators "smoked!"
Last edited by colt1rgr on January 26th, 2011, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

rgrokelley wrote:

Nothing new. When we did the ACRI mission in Africa we had women deploy with our ODA. There were two. One was a dentist and one was a veterinarian.

And yes, during the four months there they had sex with about a third of the team.
Standard
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister

Return to “The News Dump”