Petraeus Warns About Koran Burning

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Petraeus Warns About Koran Burning

Post by Flesh Thorn »

The top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan warned Tuesday a Florida church's threat to burn copies of the Muslim holy book could endanger U.S. troops in the country and Americans worldwide.

"Images of the burning of a Koran would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan -- and around the world -- to inflame public opinion and incite violence ," Gen. David Petraeus said. "Were the actual burning to take place, the safety of our soldiers and civilians would be put in jeopardy and accomplishment of the mission would be made more difficult."

His comments followed a protest Monday by hundreds of Afghans over the plans by Gainesville, Florida-based Dove World Outreach Center -- a small, evangelical Christian church that espouses anti-Islam philosophy -- to burn copies of the Koran on church grounds to mark the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Petraeus Warns About Koran Burning

Post by Silverback »

Not sure how I feel about this...I think the lefties are showing their crazy because they are tripping all over themselves talking about religious tolerance yet they continue to bash Christians...
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Im so fucking sick of all the islamic extremist threats, how they are going to do something bad to us, or our soldiers if we don't stop doing something or other. They try and kill our people everyday already. If they could carry out there threats they would do it already. Fuck them. Something about Gen. Patraeus commenting on what a group of American citizens should or shouldn't do, which is their right, just doesn't sit right with me. How about giving your troops the planning and resources to destroy the enemy over there, and not worry about some small church in Florida.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

dbmtrman wrote:Im so fucking sick of all the islamic extremist threats, how they are going to do something bad to us, or our soldiers if we don't stop doing something or other. They try and kill our people everyday already. If they could carry out there threats they would do it already. Fuck them. Something about Gen. Patraeus commenting on what a group of American citizens should or shouldn't do, which is their right, just doesn't sit right with me. How about giving your troops the planning and resources to destroy the enemy over there, and not worry about some small church in Florida.
X2

The Arabs are always at each others throats too. Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, all the shithole Mooslem countries in Africa are constantly threatening each other with some kind of Koranic evil, then doing it. WTF? over?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Don't mistake this coven of hate with anything Christian, they're just another version of the Kansas "God hates fags" wackos led by another inbred egomaniacal peabrain.
We can't hang this one on our enemy - this idiot is trying to incite the Moslems. His "no homo" campaign last year failed to garner any publicity outside of his Florida hometown (not exactly original, Westboro Baptist has already drained the homophobe chalice) so he's exploiting 9.11 and the NYC mosque issue to spread hatred and get attention and $$$.
The islamic street will react as expected, Americans will die and this shit-for-brains will be delirious with joy about his worldwide notoriety.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Yeah, but go and put a cartoon of Mohammed on Facebook. That was banned because it was going to cause a fucking outrage in the Muslim world, Or the episode of Southpark referring to Mohammed, was pulled. My point is why is it always us, who has to worry about how we offend the Muslims? Yet they have no respect for anyone with view or beliefs different than theirs.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

This war will not be won on bullets. It's going to be won by convincing the populations we're engaging that we're the good guys. Guys like this asshole in Florida risk a lot. The world is connected through the internet. Faisal and his buddies can't read but some guy shows up, shows him a video of Florida asshole buring a Koran (the only book he knows of and the soul basis for his entire life and belief system) and says"I'll give $10 and some socks if you dig a hole in the road". Faisal and his buddies may not have cared for Americans before hand but now he's truly motivated to dig this hole. It may seem small but it's implications are huge.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Sounds like a good reason to remove them from civilization.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

dbmtrman wrote:Sounds like a good reason to remove them from civilization.
Muslims or fringe groups such as the Floridians?
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

. wrote:Its always us because we know better.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Post by boscounderfoot »

Unfortunately, this is an American citizen exercising his right to free speech. Yes, the guy is a wacko and his agenda is more of a publicity stunt than anything else. The bank foreclosed on him and his church is history, so he decides to stir up the pot one more time. Personally, I feel sorry for him and if the news that he carries a .40 is true, I hope for his sake he's got one already chambered.

What a dumb$#@
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

boscounderfoot wrote: American citizen exercising his right to free speech.
No, he is not. There is no right to shout "fire" in a crowded movie theater, to quote someone famous, like the Supreme Court (IIRC).
Rights require responsibilities. He has no right to do this incredibly ignorant, inflammatory act. Like . said, we know better, that's why it is always us - we should be able to handle being the good example, instead of allowing ourselves to be drawn down to their level.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

If the media was to ignore it like they do some other important events then no one would be the wiser.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

. wrote:Its not the extremists we should worry about, we know where they stand. Our COIN operations and PR campaign target the fence sitters. They are the ones this will enrage and encourage them to join the jihad. From a strategic through tactical POV this definitely impacts what GEN Petraeus is trying to do in Afghanistan, it strengthens our enemies cause and makes it easier for them to recruit the ones who dont really see us as evil. So I think he does have a say in what some little church in FL is doing especially since this ignorant church is putting American lives at a greater risk now.
Their freedom of speech or demonstration ends when it impacts the lives of others. Why do people have to make a big scene out of everything? If I burned a Koran tonight, who would know? I would and it wouldnt make a difference. If you want to burn a thousand korans go ahead, just dont be stupid and empower our enemies by advertising it.
Damn brother... you are not just a bad muther but smart to!

This IS the problem that these idiots can't see!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “The News Dump”