War-Torn Afghanistan Looks to Tourism for Economic Boost

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

War-Torn Afghanistan Looks to Tourism for Economic Boost

Post by Flesh Thorn »

BAMIYAN, Afghanistan — There's a new building in town, and it isn't a military barracks or a hospital. It's a Tourist Information Center.

Even as troops fight militants in the south, government officials and donors in Afghanistan's central Bamiyan valley are training tour guides and teaching restaurateurs about customer service. It's an attempt to draw tourism and return one small part of Afghanistan to normalcy.

The challenges are many — land mines, dangerous roads outside Bamiyan, and, not least, Afghanistan's reputation as anything but a tourist haven. But the hope is to persuade history buffs and adventure seekers that Afghanistan can be safe, and locals are eager to give it a shot.

News Link
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: War-Torn Afghanistan Looks to Tourism for Economic Boost

Post by Horned Toad »

Do they issue you an AK along with your visa stamp? :lol:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Horned Toad wrote:Do they issue you an AK along with your visa stamp? :lol:
Only to Swashbucklers. :D
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Mohammed: "Hey, Akhmed. Why are you looking so down today?"
Akhmed: "It's just...I don't think the Winter X-Games is going to adopt our proposal for the Land Mine Slalom."
Mohammed: "Really? That's a pity. You better submit it to the Action Sports Tour, I bet they'll accept it!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
Horned Toad wrote:Do they issue you an AK along with your visa stamp? :lol:
Only to Swashbucklers. :D

OUCH
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
The Warriors Mom
Ranger Mom

Post by The Warriors Mom »

I'm the Mother of an Army Ranger, I would go on one plane ride just to see my son at war. I miss him terribly. I don't care about the bombs, the guns, any of that, it is because I would go, but damn he would kill me for showing up there.
"AND EVERYDAY WITHOUT FAIL,IT IS MY ENDEAVOR TO BRING OUT THE INSECURITY IN EVERYONE."
That above my dear Rangers is my Ranger sons quote at war! RLTW

then this is mine!
I'm bound and determined to get to the other side of life skidding in sideways, like I'm coming in for a home run broken hip and all, The Warriors Mom
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

The Warriors Mom wrote:I'm the Mother of an Army Ranger, I would go on one plane ride just to see my son at war. I miss him terribly. I don't care about the bombs, the guns, any of that, it is because I would go, but damn he would kill me for showing up there.
I don't think that him killing you is who you should worry about...... :D
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
The Warriors Mom
Ranger Mom

Post by The Warriors Mom »

Yes I know I was just being funny. They are really crazed over there, I would never make it to his FOB...lol. By the way how do I get the clown off of my avitar and download another to this site, I don't want to be a clown, he looks stupid!
"AND EVERYDAY WITHOUT FAIL,IT IS MY ENDEAVOR TO BRING OUT THE INSECURITY IN EVERYONE."
That above my dear Rangers is my Ranger sons quote at war! RLTW

then this is mine!
I'm bound and determined to get to the other side of life skidding in sideways, like I'm coming in for a home run broken hip and all, The Warriors Mom

Return to “The News Dump”