Car bomb ends party mood in Iraq

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Silverback
Ranger

Car bomb ends party mood in Iraq

Post by Silverback »

A deadly car bomb in northern Iraq shattered the mood of celebration this afternoon just hours after makeshift bands, dancing teenagers and crowds waving Iraqi flags had marked the withdrawal of American troops from the nation’s cities.

Six years after the US-led bombardment of the capital, control of the city’s streets has been handed back to Iraqis.

The landmark handover was greeted with the first full military parade through Baghdad since the fall of Saddam Hussein’s regime. Tanks and armoured vehicles decorated with artificial flowers, flags and banners rolled through the Green Zone as local police officers and soldiers assumed responsibility for security.

Within hours, a car bomb killed at least 20 people and wounded many more in the northern city of Kirkuk. The death toll from the blast in a heavily Kurdish suburb could rise, a police official said.

Full Story
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Car bomb ends party mood in Iraq

Post by Jim »

Interesting slideshow of US departure of Baghdad.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/p ... =WorldIraq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Yep... it was a party crasher to say the least. I'm still breathing... but working on this very issue.

Not much longer... till I can breathe some dust free air.

Cheers!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

if you're in Kirkuk, sorry man. that place stinks and looked like it sucked.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

You have to wonder about this. Why wouldnt the Iraqi's want us gone? And why would they or anyone do anything to slow that down? And then, how many Iraqi's wonder if they can trust their own Military and Police?

I dont have a great deal of faith in Iraq's ability to govern itself. But some of you in the know can address the level of professionalism and competnace of their Police and Military. What say you?
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:You have to wonder about this. Why wouldnt the Iraqi's want us gone? And why would they or anyone do anything to slow that down? And then, how many Iraqi's wonder if they can trust their own Military and Police?

I dont have a great deal of faith in Iraq's ability to govern itself. But some of you in the know can address the level of professionalism and competnace of their Police and Military. What say you?
Kirkuk brings a large bushel of side issues to the table.

The business of "terrorism" in Iraq is that the it is a lucrative business, not so much a fight for Nation, God or Race.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Kirkuk is a mess. Always has been. Nothing is going to change there until they get the tribal leaders on board a la "Anbar Awakening".
Strykerguy56
Tadpole

Post by Strykerguy56 »

Can't speak much on Kirkuk, but my AO has been scary quiet for about 7 months now. GSXs boys have seen some work, but up where I am we can't catch a damn thing. Who knows....
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Route Cherry and Route Clemson to Kirkuk were always good times.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Hurricane
USMC

Post by Hurricane »

I'm not going to mention anything about my AO. No ACF or AQI activity worth mentioning, we had a suicide bomber blow himself up at the IA compound near us a while ago.
"I tell my guys you should expect some of both [combat and interacting with villagers] and you better be able to hand out Jolly Ranchers and 5.56[mm] ammunition with equal enthusiasm and accuracy" - BGen. Nicholson

LCpl in Iraq.

Return to “The News Dump”