College gun bill approved

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
panthersix
Ranger

College gun bill approved

Post by panthersix »

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politi ... vived.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Janet Elliott - Houston Chronicle

AUSTIN — A bill to allow college students and employees to carry their concealed handguns on campus won final passage today on a 19-12 vote in the Senate.

The bill would allow college students who are at least 21 years old and licensed to carry concealed handguns to bring those weapons into state campus buildings. University hospitals and athletic facilities would remain off limits to guns.

The bill would apply to all universities and colleges in Texas, though private institutions would be able to opt out.

Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, said he introduced the bill because of the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech, where, he said, victims were “picked off like sitting ducks.”

“I would feel personally guilty if I woke up one morning and read that something similar had occurred on a Texas campus,” he said.

If the Senate gives the bill final approval — which could happen today — the measure could go back to the House, where it died last week because legislators did not make the deadline to debate it.

However, legislative rules allow members of the House to take up the Senate version if they do it before midnight May 26.

Exactly half the House members, 75 of 150, have signed on as supporters of the bill, a legislative priority of the Texas State Rifle Association, an affiliate of the National Rifle Association.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Silverback
Ranger

Re: College gun bill approved

Post by Silverback »

Only history can decide if this is a good or bad decision.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

"Prior history" has already proven this to be a good decision.

American Civic Association, Binghamton NY Apr09

Luby's, TX somewhere, 1991 or so..

Virginia Tech

Long Island Railroad

etc etc etc, whereever the "please don't shoot me" crowd gathers.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Bcosniper
Ranger

Post by Bcosniper »

K.Ingraham wrote:"Prior history" has already proven this to be a good decision.

American Civic Association, Binghamton NY Apr09

Luby's, TX somewhere, 1991 or so..

Virginia Tech

Long Island Railroad

etc etc etc, whereever the "please don't shoot me" crowd gathers.
Yes, x2
Bco 2/75 1st Plt, Webco
1990-1996
RS 12-91

All you got to do is breeeeaaatth and squeeze
kildagin
Ranger

Post by kildagin »

Is the thought process with legislation such as this that an individual with a gun in a threat situation would engage the threat, or that they would scare said "bad guy" away?

My wife was within rock throwing distance when things went down at Virginia Tech, so this topic is close to my heart. Many of her friends asked me about guns and gun control in the weeks following, as I was the resident army guy. My opinion was that another person with a gun would likely be someone un or under trained, and would just as likely add to the problem as solve it.

I am sure that it has happened somewhere, but is there much statistical support for individuals in the right place at the right time with a gun diffusing situations such as the massacre at Virginia Tech?

Bottom line, if this legislation would ultimately save someone, then it is great. However, I see the way most college kids operate vehicles in and around college campuses, and the thought of them engaging targets in a high pressure situation with a pistol makes me more than a little nervous.

Kildagin
RS classes 07, 08, 09-05
Currently 1st SWTG
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

kildagin wrote:Bottom line, if this legislation would ultimately save someone, then it is great. However, I see the way most college kids operate vehicles in and around college campuses, and the thought of them engaging targets in a high pressure situation with a pistol makes me more than a little nervous.

Kildagin
Well, you could say the same thing about the way that most privates drive. At any rate, there's at least a platoon-sized element of former grunts at my college. I'd imagine that if they put something like this into effect in Washington, most of the potential QRF elements would be college kids like me: dudes that have done one or two hitches and are looking for an education.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

We all know that alcohol and guns don’t mix, but this was displayed vividly on May 15, 1954 at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. That morning at approximately 7 a.m. after a long night of drinking, Putnam Davis Jr. pulled out a gun and started shooting with a gun he’d gotten from a former roommate’s car. Again, note that this wasn’t his gun. Others present returned his gunfire killing him. Two other students – fraternity brothers of Davis – were injured, but were apparently responsible for stopping his attack by shooting him.

http://www.ltpoa.us/alpha/node/14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader
Posted: 4:53 pm EDT May 4, 2009
Updated: 9:09 am EDT May 7, 2009

COLLEGE PARK, Ga. -- A group of college students said they are lucky to be alive and they’re thanking the quick-thinking of one of their own. Police said a fellow student shot and killed one of two masked me who burst into an apartment.

Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Jones met with one of the students to talk about the incident.

“Apparently, his intent was to rape and murder us all,” said student Charles Bailey.

TOM JONES: College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19365762/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by panthersix on June 2nd, 2009, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

EvilCouch wrote:
kildagin wrote:Bottom line, if this legislation would ultimately save someone, then it is great. However, I see the way most college kids operate vehicles in and around college campuses, and the thought of them engaging targets in a high pressure situation with a pistol makes me more than a little nervous.

Kildagin
Well, you could say the same thing about the way that most privates drive. At any rate, there's at least a platoon-sized element of former grunts at my college. I'd imagine that if they put something like this into effect in Washington, most of the potential QRF elements would be college kids like me: dudes that have done one or two hitches and are looking for an education.
I agree with JLTW on this one...

Think about it...

21 yo., fingerprinted, some sort of FA training, applied for and purchased CCW permit...

Not just ANY college student...It just will even the playing field with the asshole that wants to start shooting...an armed society is a polite society...

Maybe he will try the McDonalds down the street (wich in TX means EVERYONE will have a gun 8) )...instead of his armed classroom...

I'm all for it...

I carry anywhere I am legally able, and in those cases, it's as close as legally possible.

VT got news, but there are hundereds if not thousands of incidences per month that dont get National News where an armed civilian reduces a situation by lawfully defending themselves or others with a handgun...

Funny thing about guns...those that are carrying legally seem to be very careful...the bad guys seem to just give a fuck...

oto out
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Bcosniper
Ranger

Post by Bcosniper »

kildagin wrote:Is the thought process with legislation such as this that an individual with a gun in a threat situation would engage the threat, or that they would scare said "bad guy" away?

My wife was within rock throwing distance when things went down at Virginia Tech, so this topic is close to my heart. Many of her friends asked me about guns and gun control in the weeks following, as I was the resident army guy. My opinion was that another person with a gun would likely be someone un or under trained, and would just as likely add to the problem as solve it.

I am sure that it has happened somewhere, but is there much statistical support for individuals in the right place at the right time with a gun diffusing situations such as the massacre at Virginia Tech?

Bottom line, if this legislation would ultimately save someone, then it is great. However, I see the way most college kids operate vehicles in and around college campuses, and the thought of them engaging targets in a high pressure situation with a pistol makes me more than a little nervous.

Kildagin
The point is that anyone who has a concealed permit can carry, which excludes most college students already. Under trained people utilize force all the time to thwart crimes in their own homes and besides all that any concealed course will almost put you at the campus cop level of training.
Bco 2/75 1st Plt, Webco
1990-1996
RS 12-91

All you got to do is breeeeaaatth and squeeze
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

kildagin wrote:However, I see the way most college kids operate vehicles in and around college campuses, and the thought of them engaging targets in a high pressure situation with a pistol makes me more than a little nervous.

Kildagin
As opposed to no one, trained or not, having any weapon at all, and the shooter able to kill at random until he either runs out of ammo, or kills himself?

Columbine versus Pearl High School, Alabama

Columbine = two shooters kill 12 and wound 21. Almost an hour after they killed themselves the first police entered the building. No opposition at all.

Pearl High School, Alabama = a shooter enters a school with a rifle, and shoots his girlfriend and one other. The principal runs to his car, gets his .45 and then holds it against shooters head until police arrive.

I could go on and on with literally hundreds of cases similiar to this, but like the quote says ""An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.“
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
kildagin
Ranger

Post by kildagin »

Thanks for the replies. I suppose that in most cases the individuals with the concealed weapon would have had the training to use it in a way that would at least aid in diffusing the situation (as in the example above where the attempted rapist ran from the house while his buddy was killed). Are there provisions in the law dictating any particular amount of training necessary, or does it fall on the concealed carry permit regulations for whichever state the college lies in.

I imagine it is fair to assume that most individuals who would concealed carry at school would seek out or have the proper training, but looking at the regulations, there is great variety in requirements for a concealed carry permit in different states. North Carolina requires a two day class, I have heard that Georgia only requires that you fill out some paperwork (cannot confirm this, have not gone through the process in Georgia myself)
RS classes 07, 08, 09-05
Currently 1st SWTG
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Neither Georgia nor Washington required me to do anything but fill out forms and pay fees to get my permits.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I just don't understand the opposition to legal concealed carry on campuses. Reason tells me that weapons are already there.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “The News Dump”