Superpower divide over Serbia and Kosovo widens

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

Superpower divide over Serbia and Kosovo widens

Post by RTO »

BRUSSELS, Belgium - The U.S. and the European Union's biggest powers quickly recognized Kosovo as an independent nation Monday, widening a split with Russia, China and some EU members strongly opposed to letting the territory break away from Serbia.

A day after Kosovo declared independence, ethnic Serbs in the north angrily denounced the United States and urged Russia to help Serbia hold on to the territory that Serbs consider the birthplace of their civilization.

Protesters also marched in Serbia's capital, and that nation recalled its ambassador to the U.S. to protest American recognition for an independent Kosovo.

Despite clamoring of Serbs to retake Kosovo, Serbia's government has ruled out a military response.

But the dispute is likely to worsen already strained relations between the West and Russia, which is a traditional ally of Serbia and seeks to restore its influence in former Soviet bloc states. The Kremlin could become less likely to help in international efforts important to the U.S. and its allies, such as pressuring Iran to rein in its nuclear program.

Still, for Washington the declaration of independence by Kosovo vindicated years of dogged effort to help a land achieve its dream of self-determination after years of ethnic conflict and repression by Serbia.

Speaking in Tanzania, President Bush declared: "The Kosovars are now independent" — and Washington formally recognized Kosovo as an independent country soon afterward. Germany, Britain and France also gave their heavyweight backing, saying they planned to issue formal recognitions.

But Russia, Serbia's key ally, and emerging global power China remained adamantly opposed to Kosovo's independence, warning of the danger of inspiring separatist movements around the world, including in their own sprawling territories.

Full Story Here...
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Kosovo has always been the mother land of the Serbs. Now over the last few centuries there has been a huge influx of Albanians into that land. They initially went in as cheap labor. Then given the usual Muslim birth rate became a majority within that Serbian province.

So we jump to today. 10% are Serbian and 90% are Albanian. The Albanians want to gain independence and make a “unionâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

I diligently mothered my Ranger son from referencing my own childhood influence. Although I am half German from the Prince Solms immigrant era in Texas and wholly Americanized, I had daily immigrant Greek influence from my step grandfather as a child thru to my pre-teens.

I was taught female virtues of honor and perhaps most importantly that I could do anything I set my mind to do. There was no bias; girls are pink and boys are blue bullshit. There were lessons to be learned, mornings to greet, life to live and knowledge to impart. My grandfather was a good friend to many in the Ft. Worth area. He had helped many immigrate to the DFW area. I lived by a different name as a little girl, a completely different identity really. This was his way of honoring his mother who had been murdered in their village during the Greek/Turkey war of the 20's. Like many Greek immigrants, he enlisted in the US Army during WW2 to honor and render aid in anyway possible to his beloved motherland. And like all Greeks, when I heard "Turk", it would be my equivalent to say, "you sorry piece of shit, motherfucker" with a heart of hatred.

I miss my papoo still to this day. I baptized my Ranger son in his honor.
Save A Cowboy...Ride A Harley

Sometimes I feel like a bitch and sometimes I don't.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

litlbird wrote:I diligently mothered my Ranger son from referencing my own childhood influence. Although I am half German from the Prince Solms immigrant era in Texas and wholly Americanized, I had daily immigrant Greek influence from my step grandfather as a child thru to my pre-teens.

I was taught female virtues of honor and perhaps most importantly that I could do anything I set my mind to do. There was no bias; girls are pink and boys are blue bullshit. There were lessons to be learned, mornings to greet, life to live and knowledge to impart. My grandfather was a good friend to many in the Ft. Worth area. He had helped many immigrate to the DFW area. I lived by a different name as a little girl, a completely different identity really. This was his way of honoring his mother who had been murdered in their village during the Greek/Turkey war of the 20's. Like many Greek immigrants, he enlisted in the US Army during WW2 to honor and render aid in anyway possible to his beloved motherland. And like all Greeks, when I heard "Turk", it would be my equivalent to say, "you sorry piece of shit, motherfucker" with a heart of hatred.

I miss my papoo still to this day. I baptized my Ranger son in his honor.
You can see that living and or being raised in a land that is in and out of wars and boarder struggles has its influence. The greatest issue is the other guy that teaches his school kids that they will conquer the land to the south.

That still goes on which is the reason there is so much hatred. Until they stop teaching kids that “The land south of us will be ours one dayâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Tirehouse
Ranger

Post by Tirehouse »

I saw this shit first hand when I was over there in 00-01, the outright hatred for the other is thick....finding dead bodies over there from a distpute was not uncommon......I see it as a powder keg getting ready to blow........but I don't nearly know as much about it as Chiron does.....

P.S. Chiron if you get a chance school me on this powder keg in more detail if you wouldn't mind......
TFR Somalia
Kosovo KFOR3A, Iraq 2003-4 OIF 1, 08-10
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: ,

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

[quote="Chiron"]
Now to put it in terms most can understand….

Imagine in 25 years the Mexicans in southern parts of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas declaring independence under the name of “Mexicanaâ€
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

It's kinda like the "South will rise again" bullshit.

Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

litlbird wrote:It's kinda like the "South will rise again" bullshit.
And you are correct, it is and should be bullshit. Aint near enough rednecks to make that dog hunt. And who the hell would want it. But since I live here in occupied Mexico, I see trends that are damned sure signs of the times. I AM a minority because I am white. But, I am a dangerous micro minority because I am a Ranger. And truth is, the ONLY minority I give half a shit about....is the one I am....a Ranger.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

litlbird wrote:It's kinda like the "South will rise again" bullshit.
The South is rising and they speak Spanish. :wink:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

1. The Albanians of Kosovo (Ex UCK) are getting their land, which was the motherland of the Serbs.
2. The Hungarians of Romania want either independence or to be relocated.
3. The Serbs of Bosnia want independence.
4. The Slavs and Turks of FYROM think they can call themselves ancient Greeks.
5. Russia and Greece have made a treaty for natural gas and Greece has purchased more military equipment from Russia.
6. Greece, Cyprus, Romania, Serbia, Russia and two other European states are against granting Kosovo independence.
7. The state of FYROM will almost 100% get a double VETO from Greece one for NATO entry and one for EU entry which will cause the boarders to close.

I can go on but the main issue is that the Albanians, Slavs and Seljuk have opened Pandora’s box, which has the ability to go nuclear if the west pushes more. This has the ability to make the cold war look like a fart both economically and militarily. All I can say is that the west quickly forgot who fought with them in the BIG WARS. The Serbs fought against the Germans and the Bosnians and Catholics against the allies. The Albanians fought with the Italians against the Greeks. The Greeks won that until the Germans came through the Serbs into Greece. Looks like sides have changed but the goal remains the same.

There isn’t much more to comment on other than lets see where this leads. Sadly the world forgot that the Serbs where the ones that stopped the Ottoman Turk advance after the 1452 conquest of Constantinople. Imagine everyone would be talking Turkish rather than what they speak now.
\

Tirehouse: What you saw is nothing the real war may be starting soon and the Russians will not hold back. That's my feeling. For one the Albanians, Seljuk and other Muslim forces have been trying to eliminate the Orthodox Christians for centuries. Only this time the Russians have nukes. My only fear is that this Pandora's box that's been opened will bring Islam on the side of the west and the "east" will resort to unearthly things that go boom with extream violence.

You should see the Albanians in Greece. All of a sudden they are all gone to support the UCK most fought with them anyway. When the issue calms they's be back but then what? Will Russia build bases in Serbia? Honestly I hope so. It would be a shame to see Islam devour the only people that stood with sword against them and live.
Last edited by Chiron on February 19th, 2008, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

TC204 wrote:We wage war so that we may live in peace. Aristotle.

As long as there are men there will be wars. Albert Einstein.

There aren't many things that a nation can do these days that doesn't become another nations preamble for war. Me.
WWI started from a shot in Sarajevo. WWIII may start from one only a few hundred miles away. Me. :wink:
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

The next commonly known Texan sayin' to hear will be; Remember San Jacinto?

And you are correct Rock Island Ranger when you stated "occupied Mexico". Lots of the stupid minded racist dumb fucks don't know that generations of Mexcians never left!
Last edited by litlbird on February 19th, 2008, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

WW IV will be fought with sticks and stones. Albert Einstein

Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

litlbird wrote:The next commonly known Texan sayin' to hear will be; Remember San Jacinto?

And you are correct when you stated "occupied Mexico". Lots of the stupid minded racist dumb fucks don't know that generations of Mexcians never left!
Which means nothing is out of the question! I hope that UN resolutions being passed now will be rememberd later in the sense that we should understand that what goes around comes around. So be prepared.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton

Return to “The News Dump”