American Legion

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

rangerjd
Ranger

American Legion

Post by rangerjd »

http://editor.legionemail.com/vo/?FileI ... stid=84772
I received this email this morning and I thought I would pass it along. I belong to Post #0138 and although I don't get the opportunity to attend many of their meetings I like what the Legion does with my money.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: American Legion

Post by Jim »

I have been a life member of the VFW for many years.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Unfortunately, much depends upon the local posts. In my location the Legion is a collection of knuckleheads I cannot abide. I joined the VFW several years ago when it was populated by a few good men and a lot of assorted knuckleheads. The good ones drifted away and the knuckleheads, led by a Korean War poser and a VN poser (whom I openly clashed with, denounced, and nearly came to fists with) have taken over. The VN poser has made a career of being a professional 'victim' of VN and I refuse to be associated with him.

Some of the nearby posts are populated by guys who attempt to be something they never were while on active duty and wear all the Legion/VFW bling they can buy while being short on genuine awards. All I ever wore on my hat were the minis of CIB, jump wings, tab, and BDQ badge. I had the barest hat of anyone. All the other members wore enough bling to embarrass a Kardashian.

Unfortunately all the young vets in the community want no part of the local Legion/VFW, not because the oldtimers look down on them (which they don't) but because the oldtimers are such jerks.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Headoutdaplane
Ranger

Post by Headoutdaplane »

It is my favorite bar.....I live across the street :D We have good folks, and vets from WWII to Afghanistan, and the cheapest beer in town.
Headoutdaplane
Hardrock 1/75 '83-'86
Class 2-85
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

I can't join unless I use my fathers time in service. Seems that I served during the wrong time period. Even though many a man lost there lives during those time, in training (I.E LTC Powell, Cpt Gardner and many more), and not to mention those that died at Desert one. I understand the VFW but I assumed the American Legion was a veterans organization. Funny that even some desk jockey that never did shit or deployed can join as long as he was in during the right time. IMO... anyone who has been in the service since it became "All" volunteer should be eligible... but not my call. I go once in awhile as a guest with some friends but can't stand listening to all the "BTDT's" heroes... but some are fucking awesome!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”