ISAF troops to be armed at all times

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

ISAF troops to be armed at all times

Post by Flesh Thorn »

U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan are being ordered to carry loaded weapons at all times while on base, in response to a rash of Afghan soldiers and policemen turning their weapons on coalition forces.
The directive, confirmed by Fox News, was issued by International Security Assistance Force Commander Gen. John Allen. It says that troops should no longer simply keep ammunition magazines close by -- instead, those magazines should be loaded in the weapons.
Depending on where troops are stationed in Afghanistan, this is not an entirely new practice. At Bagram Air Base, for example, weapons carried by NATO troops are often inspected upon entry to make sure they are loaded. But that was not the practice at ISAF headquarters in Kabul where service members have, until now, been directed to empty their ammunition upon entering the base.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08 ... z23uKlE1xr
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: ISAF troops to be armed at all times

Post by Jim »

It troubles me that there are so many "blue/green" murders. I never heard of a U.S. advisor being murdered by his unit in Viet-Nam.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

This falls under the "Why the fucking weren't we doing this the whole time?" catagory.

In AFG we trained Afghans in Route Clearance. Any time I spent with them my sidearm was loaded.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

rangertough wrote:This falls under the "Why the fucking weren't we doing this the whole time?" catagory.

In AFG we trained Afghans in Route Clearance. Any time I spent with them my sidearm was loaded.

Tough
It's because someone thought they knew better. Damn shame it cost lives to prove otherwise.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Richard Cranium wrote:Hard to fight a war when desk jockeys 1000's of miles away have tied your hands behind your back and insisted that everything is just "peachy".

Walking around armed is a no brainer.

As the saying goes, "Judged by 12 or carried by 6." I know which one I choose 100% of the time.
When 2/3 of those 12 are O's it can get a little dicey.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

Back in 2010, I ran a few missions out of a training FOB that was mostly run by civilian contractors. I think there were maybe 10-15 military. One of the contractors stopped me one day to strongly advise me to carry my pistol loaded and OFF SAFE at all times. He said there were enemy in the ranks, and when they showed themselves you didn't want to have to take the time to come off safe. I asked some of the other Army guys about it, and learned that most of them were already doing the same.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”