SITREP- John

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Ndog275
Ranger

Re: SITREP- John

Post by Ndog275 »

Have a good one, don't quit. RLTW!
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Ndog275.
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Rangers,

I have successfully completed week one of RASP. So far, it's been very straight forward and the training we are receiving is amazing. On day 1, we had morning PT, land navigation classes, and weapons training on the M4, M249, and the M240B. Day 2 was exactly the same as the previous day. Day 3 was the 5 mile run. We had about 10 guys who couldn't complete the run in under 40 minutes. Following the run, the rest of the day consisted of more land navigation classes and weapons training. Day 4 was the 6 mile forced march in 90 minutes. It was easy but got annoying because a few people who are weak at rucking created that damn slinky effect (a lot of those were the same people who couldn't meet the standard for the 5 mile run). Other than that, it was an easy event. Later that day we did a day time land nav iteration and a night land nav iteration that was cadre led and was broken up into squads. I really enjoyed it and thought it was nice to brush up on land nav skills. Feeling well prepared for the tests that are to come at Cole Range. Today, we brushed up on the same training that we received at Airborne School (rigging up T-11's, emergencies inside the aircraft, proper exit techniques, etc.). It's been a great week. The cadre are amazing and are the best at what they do and the training we receive is great. This weekend, I plan on hydrating, eating right, and taking care of my feet. We leave to Cole Range on Tuesday. I'm ready to get it over with.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Has Ranger Kap appeared yet?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Jim. I actually also had the privilege to do detail for Ranger Kap and the other cadre for RASP 2 out at Cole Range. This was while I was in pre-RASP. Other than that, the only time I have seen him was when he was on staff duty and showed up to one of our night accountability formations.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

jth456 wrote:Roger Ranger Jim. I actually also had the privilege to do detail for Ranger Kap and the other cadre for RASP 2 out at Cole Range. This was while I was in pre-RASP. Other than that, the only time I have seen him was when he was on staff duty and showed up to one of our night accountability formations.
So you have not run with him?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Negative Ranger Jim, I have not. I did see him running around with all of the candidates, though. It was hot as hell that day and not once did I see him look tired. He is such an inspiration. I just picked up his book a few days ago and plan to read it over the weekend.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

jth456 wrote:Negative Ranger Jim, I have not. I did see him running around with all of the candidates, though. It was hot as hell that day and not once did I see him look tired. He is such an inspiration. I just picked up his book a few days ago and plan to read it over the weekend.
I think the world of Joe Kap and his lovely wife Kimberly. I met him shortly after he was MEDEVACED. Some of us old Rangers visit the military hospitals (Walter Reed & Ft Belvoir) to ensure the Rangers are taken care of. Joe and several of his squad members were at Walter Reed. They spent all their time at Joe's bedside and the nurses had trouble getting into the room. I was MEDEVCED (nothing heroic, I had amoebic dysintary) there in 1968, and spent several months there so I told his troopers, who were all on wheel chairs that there were tunnels under Walter Reed that were great for racing wheel chairs. I gave Joe a Vietnamese Ranger Advisor (BDQ) coin to reward the fastest wheel chair. A week or so later, when most of them were discharged, Joe told me he presented the coin. Months later, he was in Walter Reed, and he told me he was going to have his leg amputated. After talking to him, I realized it was the right thing to do. He recovered and is now back in the fight.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Well, week 2 of RASP has been completed and I am glad to say that I made it through Cole Range. It feels good to be done with that "hump" that everyone has told me about. Cole Range was definitely a miserable four days but honestly, it's nothing that you can't get through if you truly want it bad enough. On Tuesday morning, we rucked out there for 7 miles and it was a released ruck, which was awesome. When we got there, we had 10 minutes to eat our MRE's (usually the time hack for every meal out there). Pretty soon after we started our first day land nav iteration and also did a night land nav iteration. We repeated both iterations every single day and spent 24 hours total on land nav while we were out there. I am feeling great where I stand in terms of my land nav skills. I did a lot better than I thought I was going to do at night. Other than that, this week went by better than I expected. I'm not going to mention anything else, because I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't gone through it yet. Mentees, all I have to say is, the Cole Range shuffle does exist. Take care of your feet. Time to recover and prepare for week 3 of RASP. Super pumped!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Good strep jth456.

Keep driving on. Stay focused on the 5m target.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Steadfast.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

So now there are three of you in the same platoon. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Week 3 of RASP is now complete.

This week was actually very easy. On Monday, we conducted the usual morning PT. It was the first time we had the RPAT. During that day, we were in the classroom going over everything that was needed to know for Ranger First Responder. Honestly, it was the same combat lifesaver stuff that we learned in OSUT. The class was great and was taught by one of the Ranger medics. Tuesday, for PT, we had an introduction to RAW and learned how to perfect the form on the dead lift. I enjoyed it and can't wait to actually take the real RAW. For that day of training we did more hands on training out in the field. We went over things such as using an NPA, needle decompression, tourniquets, and combat gauzes (everything was basically a brush up on what we learned in OSUT). Wednesday morning started off with the 8 mile ruck march. Once again, it was a released ruck. Immediately following completion of the ruck, we had our hands on RFR testing out in the field. Mostly everyone passed but there were a few no-go's who had to retest later on that day and they all successfully passed on their second attempt. Today, we ran for PT and conducted some core exercises. We were supposed to do a jump today, but that got cancelled for some reason. For the rest of the day, we were in the classroom brushing up on the principles of marksmanship and we also received a great class on airfield seizures. It was a very straight forward day. Now, we are released for a four day weekend which is nice. I am going to use this four day as an opportunity to get in some workouts and hydrate. I hear week 4 is mobility training. Can't wait!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have you had any contact with any other mentees?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Jim. Kensongakusei has become a great friend of mine over these past few weeks. I also see Teemoor everyday in formation.

Return to “Letters from School”