recommended for drop

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: recommended for drop

Post by Jim »

Disappointing.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Rangers,

My apologies for not posting a SITREP sooner, but I wanted to wait until I had something worth posting besides having gotten dropped. I've been here in WW for a week now, and have been fighting the best I can to get back in the course before they cut me a set of orders. It has been done before, but the odds are obviously rather slim. My plan B was to contact the recruiters or drop packets for every special operations unit in the Army where I could get myself selected and serve out my time before coming back to RASP. SF and CA wont touch me until I'm an E-4(p), and Psyops doesn't want me until I have at least 24 months TIS. My high AIT/GT/PT scores did get me a nibble from SOAR, but they don't make a habit of picking up medics until they've had at least one deployment under their belt. So I've now committed myself to plan C, which is to volunteer for a 9 month deployment and resubmit packets for both 160th and RASP when I get back stateside.

In the meantime, I've been fortunate enough to get work at the Regimental Aid Station giving out shots and doing blood draws. Getting the opportunity to learn from the Regimental Surgeon, Psychologist, Senior Medic, Physical Therapy Team, RAW Development Team, and Residential PA's sure beats the hell out of edging sidewalks. I'm still trying to see if I can sit in on a pre-SOCM class after I get released every day, or failing that, use that time to get some experience in the ER at Martin General.

When I had to do my little walk of shame, damn near every one of my classmates shook my hand and wished me luck or told me to keep in touch. That, more than anything made me realize that while this is a mighty kick in the balls indeed, it's not the end of the world and in reality I'm just back where I was 3 years ago. Nothings changed... well, except now I'm in much better shape and know what to expect.

Respectfully,

NSD
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

When you first found yourself in trouble, you did not come-up on the net. It would have been helful. Your final note was less than insightful. Thank you for your message, but you could have been more helpful. Never, never quit!

Steadfast, please move this message form this thread to the letters from school thread.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

There is another option that may work for you. Hopefully, you are still in good with someone in the RAS that has some weight on their collar. Respectfully ask them to take your ass over to 4th RTB and talk to the Senior Medic at Camp Rodgers aid station. There, plead your case for a job at Rodgers or at one or the other camps. Working at RTB is a great way to stay "in the loop", and if you are lucky get your Tab while you are there. I'm not saying they play favorites, and I'm not telling you to cheat. However,I've heard and seen where the students coming from RTB may be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to patrol grading. They also are literally in their own backyard. Work two years at one of the RTB camps and you will have intimate, first-hand knowledge of where you will be doing your patrols. Plus, you will be doing real medicine in the clinics and in the field, rather than get assigned as a driver in an evac company shoveling shit all day long, or wiping asses at hospital.. If you are really lucky, you may get assigned to the company that does medical coverage for Long Range Surveillance Leader school at RTB. That is a fun job.

I've seen more than a few guys get their Tab at RTB, then spring-board to bigger and better things.

Worth a look-see. Worst case, you get assigned needs of the Army, do your time, then come back for round two.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Damn Doc--excellent proposal! Never occured to me. I'll make sure he sees this via other means.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “Letters from School”