Army ROTC Cadet Considering Option 40

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Mike417
Egg

Army ROTC Cadet Considering Option 40

Post by Mike417 »

Rangers,

I am currently a sophomore (MSII) Army ROTC cadet at UMiami. I have a strong distaste for the way the ROTC OML is set up, because it is not subjective based on the prestige of the university (UMiami is ranked 38th in USA -US News Ranking 2011). I had a buddy who received Active Duty for Transportation (wanted Infantry) with 299's on the APFT and a 3.6 GPA. With that, I am worried. I applied to West Point, and will hear back from them late December to early January. I applied because I know that I will have a better opportunity there for training and proving myself, so that I may be branched Active Duty Infantry. If I am not accepted, I have been thinking about enlisting under ONLY an Option 40 contract, as I think I have what it takes to get into Ranger Batt.

A little more about me:

This year, I participated in the Army ROTC Ranger Challenge Competition at Ft. Benning, on the Ranger Course. The competition was 36 straight hours, and encompassed a 9.1 mile ruck "run", stress shoot (M4 and M9), call for fire, Malvesti Obstacle Course, night land navigation (Ranger course), hand grenade assault course, trauma lane, M16 disassembly/re-assembly, and zodiac boat event. I had to compete against the other cadets in my battalion for two months prior (only the top 20 cadets tried out) for a slot on the 9 man team. The competition is modeled after the Army's Best Ranger Competition.

The cadre that was the "coach" for our team was in 3/75, so he smoked us well for the tryouts, and also coached us well. He thinks that I can "negotiate RASP definitely" but that "shit happens, it's a tough course".

I am 19 years old, around 143lbs or so (during Ranger challenge I was 139lbs) and 5'9. I was one of the best ruck marchers on the team, and for the competition I carried TWO 35lb rucks (on on front, one on back), because on cadet was too weak and had to give his up after the 3rd mile. I remained in the front of the group with the team captain, who also carried two, except he is about 6'3...

On my most recent, Record APFT for the end of the semester, I scored a 327 (74 pushups, 93 situps, and 12:03 2-Mile).

Given ALL of that information, assuming I am mentally tough and 150% sure I want to be a Ranger, and that I have sufficient tactical skills for an ROTC cadet (marksmanship, M16 dis-sassembly and re- assembly in 46 seconds best time), do you think that I would have what it takes?

Also, if I did secure an Option 40, I would train every day until my ship date, and then after my contract, finish the other 2 years of college and get my masters or do OCS.

I look forward to the wisdom of your response.

Thank You,

Mike
US Army ROTC Cadet (MSII)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Army ROTC Cadet Considering Option 40

Post by Jim »

Mike, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. Yours was adequate but it was posted in the wrong file. It should have been in the future soldiers file. I will ask admin to move it. In the meantime read all the FAQs as well as selected threads and stickies. Most of your questions have been answered at least once. The search option, located on the right side of this page is your friend. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Mike417.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Mike417
Egg

Post by Mike417 »

Rangers,

My apologies for posting into the wrong section. It wasn't until afterwards that I realized my mistakes. On another note, to clarify, I posted this thread with the intent of receiving some wisdom and advice towards my plans. Everyone is saying to finish college first, but the reason I considered enlisting halfway through my college years was because that would be my main reason to justify enlistment on a personal level, opposed to ROTC. Also, if I did this, I would return to school after the 4yr contract.

- Mike
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mike,
There is a great deal of discussion on this site on just this subject. It is not unusual to see members of the 75th Ranger Regiment who have their undergraduate degree. In fact, to gain a shot at being a member of the Regiment, you have to have scores that make you eligable for OCS. In my case, I was a Staff Sergeant who did the OCS thing. Later Army sent me to degree completion. I was selected for Battalion command and the War College. Beginning your career as an enlisted soldier worked for some of us. Whatever decision you make, prepare to live with it!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Mike417
Egg

Post by Mike417 »

Ranger Jim,

Thanks for the insight! I haven't had much time to look around as I have been studying intensively for finals (still no excuse), but once they are over (this week) I plan to FULLY read over the forums. On another note, you're saying that you essentially took the route that I proposed, as you speak of "degree completion"? I want to be a Ranger more than anything (can't stand people who aren't high speed), so I believe that an option 40 would show me if I have what it takes. My ROTC CPT that was in 3/75 right out of high school up to an E-6 or E-7 (I can't remember exactly), mentioned that soldiers that enter later in their careers get the "where the fuck have you been all this time?" kind of response -- which is why I would like to start as a PVT. I have read some posts on here and success stories, and it is amazing what these PVTs have done! By the time most of them are SPC's it appears they have SO much more experience and training than many NCOs for that matter! I know if I did do OCS, I would need to go through RASP 2, but the unparalleled experience I would obtain in battalion would aid my career more than anything else. Also, I have heard that RASP 1 through an Opt. 40 is the easiest/best way to get into battalion.

- Mike
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Post by boscounderfoot »

Ranger challenge eh? As I recall, girls get that little patch too. Do yourself a favor and complete your education, you can always join the military after you finish college. And unless you have a 4.0 GPA, a few influential personal contacts and a whole lot of luck, your chances of getting into West Point are slim to none. I know this because my nephew applied and didn't get in even though he graduated from high school in the top 1% of his class and my brother-in-law is an SF full-bird Colonel. With the across the board cuts that are coming down the pipe in the coming years, future enlistees with a college degree will find themselves in a very advantageous position.
Beyond that, welcome to the site and thank you for your patriotism.

RLTW
Mike417
Egg

Post by Mike417 »

Ranger boscounderfoot,

Thank you for providing your wisdom. I should hear back from the academy anywhere from now until the end of January. I will post regarding whether or not I am granted admittance. Regarding Ranger Challenge, yes, it is the best a cadet can do in ROTC, but it is still pussy shit.

- Mike

Return to “About RASP”