ROP and RGT for an E6?

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
kheaton79
US Army

ROP and RGT for an E6?

Post by kheaton79 »

I wanted to throw this out there for you guys to input on, anything you can offer is greatly appreciated. I was offered a very tempting reenlistment option today and its been bouncing around in my head a lot since. Already planning on going to Ranger School at some point later this year, I have been offered the option to reenlist for Ranger School, ROP, and assignment to 75th. Sounds like a dream come true, but heres my issue, this would be perfect for an E5, but I'm and E6 with 3 yrs TIG, SL time knocked out, already chipping away at some staff currently(reads "unfortunately")and Im just not seeing how I would be welcome in RGT. I'm fully confident in my technical, tactical and leadership abilities, but how one develops in 25th ID vs. 75th are day and night.
Is it too late in the game for me to go to RGT? I have 9yrs in, I'm flexible and learn very fast, I know that I can bring a lot to the table. How willing will they be to let a cherry Ranger with no experience conducting the 75th mission statement, fall in on a Squad of BAMFs and go face shoot folks?
Would appreciate anything you can offer on this. If this is posted in the wrong place, Mods please unf*ck me.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: ROP and RGT for an E6?

Post by Disinfertention »

Tenn-RGR wrote:If you want it bad enough, go for it. As long as you keep an open mind and expect some razzing, you'll be fine. understand though, your learning curve will be near vertical and it will be like drinking from a fire hose of knowledge. Opportunities like this one come once in an Army career.
This is it. All you need to know summed up in a nutshell. All I'll add on top of that is... Get to school, pass, and be more confident on being a leader in Regiment.... Because that is the #1 item you will need since you have a lack of experience.

If not all of this.. Go to Ranger school and become a great Platoon Sergeant in our Army. And thank you for your service....Because I don't double post and I found this before your intro...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
BMAN1/75
Ranger

Post by BMAN1/75 »

As a senior E-6 there will be a ton expected from you and you will need to learn alot on your own, i had to let go of 2 import SLs just because they were so far behind, If you want it go for it just know that you have to seriously learn a lot and not to many people are going to take the time to teach a new import SL what he needs to do they have the rest of their guys to worry about. A PSG with no REGT time probably not going to make it. Not going to lie its a tough road but it can be done. But go to RGR school regardless and be the best PSG you can be
I like you, I'll kill you last

B1/75, A1/75,RIP,A2/75,HHC1/75,A1/75
93-08
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Fucking import cherry, can you deal w that?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
kheaton79
US Army

Post by kheaton79 »

Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate you all taking the time to give feedback. Every Infantry unit in the light and abn world immulates 75th. I have spent the last 9 years training Soldiers to be as close to what a 75th Soldier is, without things like ammo, land and resources. At the same time having to accept that the rest of the Army will tollerate piss poor performance and lack of discipline, and to be immersed in that shit on a daily basis, will challenge a man to the depth of his soul. That being said, I can handle someone calling me a cherry, it doesnt effect my OODA loop. From an outsider looking in, I have to tell you that 75th is the proverbial green grass on the other side of the fence, for you guys in RGT please appreciate all that you have. I would love to sit down with a SL in RGT and pick his brain, to tap into that knowledge would be incredible. At the very least I will be able to pursue the tab this year and take that back to big Army and spread the wealth. Thanks again for the speedy replies.
LRS Guy
Ranger

Post by LRS Guy »

I was never in Regiment, did have a buddy who was a studly SL in 1/504 PIR, went to 1/75th RGR. Understand he was a studly SL and S-3 Air NCO there too. Last I heard he was going on a long walk and made that too.

What I'm saying its better to fall on your face doing something, than be looking back and saying "boy I had the chance to do what I always wanted.....but didn't give it a shot". Roll the dice and give it 110% I say. But we all have to make our own descions.
RS 1-92
1-504 PIR 89-90
3-504 PIR 90-92
H. Co 121 INF (LRSC) 97-00
134th INF (LRSD)01-02
Back to living the LRS Life in the 143rd LRSD!

Confirmed "Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Couple of men on this board did the E-6 to Regt. gig. Both made it, both done well. One I have to talked to and drank with quite extensively. He's a PSG. now. Learning curve is more like a swithback going 80mph. But, high speed people do high speed things. You high speed or just dreaming? Dont get pissed, just put your man on and make a realistic call.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
BMAN1/75
Ranger

Post by BMAN1/75 »

hahah yes the grass is always greener thats because we dont let anyone walk on it "get off the grass" i always loved that. but seriously at least on here you seem motivated so drop a ROP packet and go for it, worse thing that could happen is you get a TAb and go to another INF unit, or hell you stay in REGT and do great things, hopefully next post we see is your ROP date
I like you, I'll kill you last

B1/75, A1/75,RIP,A2/75,HHC1/75,A1/75
93-08
alpha24
Ranger

Post by alpha24 »

If you can memorize, comprehend, and live the Ranger Creed, than you will be successful.

By the way BMAN 1/75, I will be in touch with you soon...as soon as I get verified.
Aco 2/75 96-99
RIP Instructor, HHC 75th 99-01
Aco 2/75 01-03
Class 7-97

One for the airborne Ranger in the sky!

Return to “About RASP”