Application/Clearance Issue

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Application/Clearance Issue

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers,

I recently finished my application packet and have been waiting for the call to go to MEPS. Today, I received a call from my recruiter saying that he want's to change my work history because it won't look favorably upon me when I go. I asked what the problem was as I have never been fired or had a work related issue. I was told that "it looks bad because you were only there 3 months". I have worked off and on while attending school and moving between cities until I was laid off from my last job and then attended school for the past year. . How is this an issue? I am wondering if my recruiter is full of shit (as I've heard many are) and I will be screwed if I go along with this scheme. I am not a liar and feel that lying about work history on a security clearance issue/application could come back to bite me in the ass, majorly. Opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never walked this path before.

Thank you for your time and input.
Ship date: 20110418
Mentor: Hakweergr

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail!
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Re: Application/Clearance Issue

Post by Mata Leao »

Ranger Zonk 1/75,

I am seeing the recruiter today to square this issue away. Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate the advice.

Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I have been through the clearance process more times than anyone else I have ever met. Not knowing how to go about it and taking advice from someone in my COC who had his head up his ass cost me a great time and though it worked out long term for me, I wish I could go back and change some of those things.

In your clearance paperwork you need to be as precise about what you have done, where you have lived, who you have worked for and list anything negative in your background also. This will matter a lot if you ever need to upgrade your clearance from a S to a TS and some other things.

Do not lie. If you tell the truth from the start you never have anything to worry about.
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Rangers,

After meeting with the recruiter he informed me that the job history wasn't an issue. However, the police background check from the county I worked in could be an 'issue' (as I've waited 6months to enlist and want to complete the process asap) because they are known for taking up to 4 weeks to return the paperwork. I said I'd rather wait another month than falsify my documentation and hurt my chances for something later in my career. The truth will never change, but the lies would and I'd rather not have to manage those as well. I'm now waiting on my paperwork to return so I can move onto the next step.

Again, thank you.

cco375
Ranger

Post by cco375 »

What's 4 weeks? That will go by in the blink of an eye. Like Nomad told you, DON'T LIE ON ANYTHING. You're the one that will pay for it if you do, not your recruiter.
Cco 3/75 00-03

I'm not leaning to the right because of a bad hip, its because my combat scroll is so heavy
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I am pretty sure that a listing of all your employers is included in credit reports.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Ranger Bill wrote:I am pretty sure that a listing of all your employers is included in credit reports.
ABSOLUTELY

Young man, do not even THINK of fudging anything on your personal history for convenience' sake - it can come back to bite you in ways you cannot imagine. Most applications you sign have a little clause near the signature space stating to the effect "I swear/promise this is a true statement". That is legalese for "under oath".
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Contact your recruiter and let him know. You do not want to appear that you are hiding anything, you simply forgot. I seriously doubt that your offense at age 10 is anyting to worry about. Just be sure not to hide it.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Recruitment Process”