Does a waiver disqualify a recruit from the Option 40?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
G.G
Embryo

Does a waiver disqualify a recruit from the Option 40?

Post by G.G »

Rangers, thank you for taking time to read this. I am currently a sophomore in college so I have over a year until I can even start to talk to a recruiter about DEP'ing but I have a concern which has been eating at me which I hope to receive guidance on. As stated more thoroughly in my introduction thread I was hospitalized once in my life for asthma and this was at age 3. Since my father retired from the USAF and moving at the age of 12 I started seeing a new primary care doctor. Since being with him he has not treated me for asthma, only kept up the prescription for inhalers which I did not use. I was a state-runner up for wrestling in high school and currently compete in college, where our team just won the NCWA national championship. I was researching the Army/asthma topic regarding treatment and found this: "Medical record screening may still be required, depending on the applicant’s medical history. However, in many cases, a signed statement, attached to the medical pre-screening form, stating that the applicant did not have any type of asthma (including exercise induced, or allergic asthma) or treatment for asthma after their 13th birthday will be sufficient." My question lies in the fact that I do not know if these prescriptions are in my current medical records (my mother holds the only copies from my initial incident at age 3). Having said that, if MEPS does not accept my doctor's note (any input on the chance of them accepting this would also be greatly appreciated) saying he has not seen any sign of asthma, of any form, with me since age 12 would they require a waiver? And if so, would I still be able to obtain the Option 40 contract with a waiver for childhood asthma?

I have searched both this forum and the web for information regarding Option 40 eligibility with a waiver but have not found any direct answer. I am sorry If there is some place an answer lies but I did not find it, in that case I am sorry for wasting your time.
"Mediocrity is self-inflicted; greatness is self-bestowed." - Walter Russell
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Does a waiver disqualify a recruit from the Option 40?

Post by K.Ingraham »

I remember a similar question a long time ago, but the poster then was asking if he should lie about asthma during his teens years.
After only one read of your post, my first inclination is that you are probably good to go. You might ask a recruiter straight up, and be truthful about your status.
We here can make suggestions, but the only recruiter active on site here has moved on to new work, you need to see an actual recruiter in this case. Maybe you can walk in, refuse your name & ask about this particular situation and then go enlist someplace else?
Good luck on your journey.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
G.G
Embryo

Post by G.G »

Ranger K.Ingraham, thank you very much for your reply. Earlier in college I went to a recruiter to discuss the possibility of joining the Reserves while a student and when they asked if I had any medical symptoms I did not mention I had asthma as a child because I did not want it even on paper for the Army, though this was just essentially an info session.

Prodigy922, thanks for your reply also. When you say that if there is NO medical record of it past 13 and if I have a doctor state that, would I even need a waiver? I thought the waiver would be if I had indeed had it treated past my 13th birthday. Also another question I hope you may be able to shed some light on. If my medical records after my 13th birthday only show the occasional prescription for an inhaler, thus meaning I was not technically treated or hospitalized for asthma since after age 13, would only a note suffice or would a waiver be in order? I guess this question came out of your statement that the "prescriptions do NOT mean you HAD asthma." Can you elaborate on that please? Thanks again.

EDIT: Also, I am still unclear whether or not a waiver would disqualify a recruit from obtaining an Option 40. Ranger K.Ingraham, I plan on heeding your advice and approaching a recruiter on the topic.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

I'd tell you to stay in your lane....but you're making too much fuckin' sense.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
G.G
Embryo

Post by G.G »

Ranger K.Ingraham, thank you for your help and advice to see a recruiter. Prodigy, you shed a lot of light on my situation and I am feeling more confident than ever that I can make this happen. Great information!

Return to “Recruitment Process”