Turning down a commission

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Turning down a commission

Post by Dirt Dart »

For those of you who haven't read my Intro, I am an ROTC cadet in the process of turning down a commission. I go into the reasons pretty extensively in my Intro, but the short version is, I believe I would better serve my country as a Ranger than as an officer at this point in my life.

I have only verbally informed my Battalion Commander, and sent an email informing him of my intentions in writing. I have not signed anything at this point. My recent research into the relevant army regulation: AR 135-210, has unfortunately indicated that MEPS gets to choose my MOS for me. I also get no benefits and go in as an E-1, despite having a Bachelors degree, but thats not a big deal to me at all.

The regulations seem pretty clear, but I am unaware how much say my Battalion Commander has in this matter. Maybe he can override the regulation somehow? Or perhaps convince some kind and gentle heart at MEPS that I would be of better service to my country with an 11X Option 40?

I also have the option of simply repaying the $13,000 I owe the government for putting me through school. Does this mean I would be able to enlist as whatever I wanted and then use the GI Bill to pay my debt to the Army???

Thank you Rangers for any help you can provide in this matter. It sure has confused the hell out of me.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Assuming I arrived at the same situation as you, I would pay back the Army and get the MOS you want. You'll just break contract and have to pay back Uncle Sugar, which you could do with a bonus (if you get one). Your BS will get you quick to E-4.

My buddy went this route. Good luck. Hope it all works out.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Have you read the fucking rules yet?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Ranger PocketKings has provided advice that I agree with. I will add that you knew what you were getting into with ROTC, that there was no gaurantee of branch, that it would be based on the needs of the Army. But it seems you have changed your mind at the 11th hour. You may have jumped out of the proverbial frying pan and into the fire. You could well end up in some mess-kit repair unit.

There is good reason to question your sincerity. It raises the issue of your sincerity to become an Army Ranger. Will you change your mind about that as well? Based on your past perfromance, who knows? You have given your word before...

Talk with, not to, your battalion commander. Do not argue with him. Ask him for his advice on how to proceed. Explain to him that you are going to pay the money back. Let him know that the time and resources he spent on you will not be wasted becasue it has well-prepared you for serving as a Ranger. Ask him for his support.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

I've went back and read all of your posts and I'm a little confused. I've got a couple of questions for you:

1. Are you a scholarship recipient?

2. Have you read the sticky on accessions in this very forum?

3. How long have you been in the ROTC program?

4. Why has this decision come at the very last possible moment?

I'm pretty familiar with the process and the regulations pertaining to cadets. After reading your posts I've got a foggy opinion, but I'd rather not post it until you answer my questions above.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Ranger j.rico

1) I am a scholarship recipient.

2) I have read the sticky on accessions and also seen first hand the disparity between what branches cadets want, and what branches they get. Especially when their GPA's are as low as mine (2.7)

3) I've been in the ROTC program for about 2.4 years now. I will be graduating in June of next year.

4) I have been struggling with what choice to make for about a year now, and trying to research both the officer and Option 40 tracks as much as possible. In addition, I have sought out the opinions of several people who have taken both paths. And finally, the more I experienced in school and in my interactions with the ROTC program, the more I have learned about who I am as an individual and where I believe I would fit best within the Army. After consulting extensively with my Battalion Commander as per Ranger Bill's advice, he agrees that I have made the correct decision. Additionally, I wanted to be sure I made the decision before I took a slot to LDAC so as not to reflect poorly on my battalion. The summary of these factors is what has led me to make the decision that I have when I have.

UPDATE: My battalion commander has recommended that I be ordered to repay the Army the amount I owe for my scholarship. This is what I wanted. Assuming Cadet Command agrees with his recommendation, I will be released from my commitment to ROTC and free to enlist with an option 40 contract in approximately 30-45 days. Thank you Rangers for your insight.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Dirt Dart wrote:Ranger j.rico

1) I am a scholarship recipient.

2) I have read the sticky on accessions and also seen first hand the disparity between what branches cadets want, and what branches they get. Especially when their GPA's are as low as mine (2.7)

3) I've been in the ROTC program for about 2.4 years now. I will be graduating in June of next year.

4) I have been struggling with what choice to make for about a year now, and trying to research both the officer and Option 40 tracks as much as possible. In addition, I have sought out the opinions of several people who have taken both paths. And finally, the more I experienced in school and in my interactions with the ROTC program, the more I have learned about who I am as an individual and where I believe I would fit best within the Army. After consulting extensively with my Battalion Commander as per Ranger Bill's advice, he agrees that I have made the correct decision. Additionally, I wanted to be sure I made the decision before I took a slot to LDAC so as not to reflect poorly on my battalion. The summary of these factors is what has led me to make the decision that I have when I have.

UPDATE: My battalion commander has recommended that I be ordered to repay the Army the amount I owe for my scholarship. This is what I wanted. Assuming Cadet Command agrees with his recommendation, I will be released from my commitment to ROTC and free to enlist with an option 40 contract in approximately 30-45 days. Thank you Rangers for your insight.
Are you at SDSU, by any chance?
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Ranger PocketKings, I am at UC Davis, patiently waiting to hear back from Cadet Command.
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

I will give you some advice. DON'T DO IT!!! I was in ROTC and a year from receiving my commission. I left ROTC because my BC pulled my Airborne and CTLT slot at the very last minute in order for me to do recruiting since the programs numbers were dropping. This is after I volunteered to go through Basic and the first Advanced Camp. I loved my service with 1/75 and would not trade it for anything. Serving in the Ranger Regiment is my proudest achievement, but at the same time I have always greatly regretted not receiving my commission. If you continue on to get your commission, you can still serve within the Regiment after you prove yourself to be the best Officer in your unit. By doing this, you will keep your promise that you have made to your BC, Cadet Command and the US Army.
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Latest Update: 11 DEC 07

My packet got bounced back to battalion from Brigade. Apparently they didn't like something about my Battalion Commander's comments in the packet. I asked what it was and if I could do anything to help them get the paperwork through, I was told, "don't ask." :shock:

I thought I would get proactive in the mean time and find myself a squared away recruiter to get my contract for me when I finally do get the go ahead, and got in touch with a Recruiting Company Commander. He says he can get me an Option 40 as soon as I get released from Cadet Command.

Now I just have to wait on Cadet Command . . . during the holidays . . . :evil:
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Dirt Dart wrote:Ranger PocketKings, I am at UC Davis, patiently waiting to hear back from Cadet Command.
You guys still have the indian buffet near the campus there? Rajh's or something like that? Excellent food.

Any updates?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Well I just got the word that the final answer from cadet command has come down. And oddly enough, apparently I can't find out what it is until I meet the battalion commander in person. I just had a phone conversation with our personnel guy that went like this . . .

Them - "We got your packet sent back down"
Me - "That's great news, anything you can tell me about the answer?"
Them - "Not until we schedule an appointment for you with the colonel."
Me - "Ok, when will that be?"
Them - "We don't know, call back tomorrow."

Does anybody with more experience with Army paperwork than me have any idea what this might mean?

I'll make sure and give a SITREP as soon as I have any intel on the matter.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

It means your commander wants to stick his nose all up in yo shit. He wants to give you the news himself so he can 'counsel' you on what you should do next. Plus, he wants to interject his personal opinion on the matter.

He sounds like an asshole to me. The respectful thing would've been to just tell you ASAP, then deal with the rest.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Re: Turning down a commission

Post by Dirt Dart »

SITREP: Went down to Sacramento MEPS last Saturday.

All 1's on PULHES, 99 on the AFQT, 141 GT score.

I was a walk-on so no contract yet, but there doesn't appear to be any obstacles once my recruiter submits my application, probably will go back down to sign on the dotted line after the holidays.

In the mean time I'm staying focused on the 50m target (graduating college).

As I was . . .
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Turning down a commission

Post by Disinfertention »

Did I miss something? Oh yeah... The 11 months inbetween.

Shouldn't there be more of an update than that? I didn't think it was the 11th of Decemeber yet when reading some of the posts...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Recruitment Process”