Navy Seal training vs. Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Bell

Post by Bell »

SEALs are fish. They can do damn near anything in the water. They blow shit up in the water.

Rangers can outhump any mofo out there. Feet on the ground. They blow shit up on land.

Two different operations.

RLTW
Bell
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

You're a dumbass,Newt.
Your comments are inapropriate for someone with no experience whatever.
I actually have some answers for you but unless I detect a better attitude from you toward our sea-going cousins you'll get none.
The Rangers here are allowed to banter in professional ridicule but you are not.
This goes for a few others of you too.
You young men are close to stepping over the line.
Listen to me on this one girls.
I've actually instructed SEALS through several course cycles specifically tailored to their mission essential task list. Believe me, many of their doctrinal weaknesses have been corrected.
Please don't parade your ignorance by attempting to curry favor by commenting negatively on a group of men that you cannot possibly hope to hang with.
Here's the difference between what you aspire to and what our SEAL cousins have done.
YOU CAN BREATHE AT RANGER SCHOOL
Whatever else the SEALS may or may not be proficient at they deserve more than critcism from know nothing shitheads like yourself.
Don't post anything until you get your head out of your ass.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Kilted Heathen wrote: Don't post anything until you get your head out of your ass.

How do you think he got his title? :lol:
RSD 96-99
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Kilted Heathen wrote:You're a dumbass,Newt.
Your comments are inapropriate for someone with no experience whatever.
I actually have some answers for you but unless I detect a better attitude from you toward our sea-going cousins you'll get none.
The Rangers here are allowed to banter in professional ridicule but you are not.
This goes for a few others of you too.
You young men are close to stepping over the line.
Listen to me on this one girls.
I've actually instructed SEALS through several course cycles specifically tailored to their mission essential task list. Believe me, many of their doctrinal weaknesses have been corrected.
Please don't parade your ignorance by attempting to curry favor by commenting negatively on a group of men that you cannot possibly hope to hang with.
Here's the difference between what you aspire to and what our SEAL cousins have done.
YOU CAN BREATHE AT RANGER SCHOOL
Whatever else the SEALS may or may not be proficient at they deserve more than critcism from know nothing shitheads like yourself.
Don't post anything until you get your head out of your ass.
Tha deserves a big monkey hug....You're the shit brother!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

"BIG MONKEY HUG"...... :shock: :shock:

Gorilla man you scare me sometimes.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Example of a big monkey hug

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Brad27
Embryo

Post by Brad27 »

Sorry Ranger Kilted Heathen, I hope this will satisfy you and Ranger BadMuther. Finding and writing all this info took me about 2-3 hours. Please fill me in on things that I have missed or stated wrong.
Army Rangers
Operation Just Cause (Panama)- The 75th Ranger Regiment was tasked with two simultaneous airborne assaults at 0100 on 20 December of 1989. They were to secure Omar Torrijos International Airport/Tocumen military airport complex as well as Rio Hato airfield to clear the way for the 82nd airborne. After that, they were to link-up with the conventional forces for follow up combat missions. It was a success.
Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm- - Im sorry but info on Ranger info during these times was really hard to find. Most articles and websites that I came across just stated that elements of the 75th were there not giving any specific info on their operations.
Operation Restore Hope (Somalia)- In 1992 U.S. forces were deployed into Somalia to help with stabilize the country from a Civil War. Their main target was to capture General Mohamed Farah Aideed. On the Ranger’s seventh mission, the Rangers were to make a joint raid with Delta Force on Aideed’s stronghold and capture two of his key Lieutenants. When an MH-60 Blackhawk was hit by an RPG and crashed, the mission started to fall apart. It only worsened when another Blackhawk was hit by an RPG and crashed less than a mile from the first crash site. Elements of the Ranger Bat. went to secure and setup a perimeter to help rescue the downed helicopter crews. After intense fighting and relentless firefights, the Rangers and Delta Force pulled through and got all their man back. Unfortunately, 17 Rangers lost their lives. RIP. And 106 were wounded.
Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom- In 2001-2003 elements of the 75th Ranger Bat.. were deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq to help fight the war on terror. Unfortunately, operations conducted during this time are hard to find. Sorry.

Navy Seals
Operation Just Cause (Panama)- The Navy Seals were tasked with destroying Noriega’s escape boat and an assault on Patilla airfield. The Navy seals were successful in destroying Noriega’s boat, (they used so much explosives that they never found one of the engines). But the attack on Patilla airfield was a limited success. Even though the Navy Seals destroyed Noriega’s Leer Jet with an AT-4, they sustained massive casualties in the raid. Instead of working in small groups like their used to, they attacked in a large force that they were not taught very well on how to do and the ill prepared plan was not well thought out.
Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm- The Navy Seals conducted many surveillance and reconnaissance missions throughout the war. One of the UDT Seal Teams placed explosives on the beaches of Kuwait to trick the enemy into thinking that US forces were making an amphibious assault onto the beaches. They were successful in deceiving the Iraqis into shifting their defensive positions that allowed the ground forces invading from Saudi Arabia to surround and cutoff the enemy. The Navy Seals were very useful in their reconnaissance missions giving live feed on troop and vehicle movements that were subjected air bombardment.
Operation Restore Hope- When the Marines needed up to date charts and intelligence on the beaches near Mogadishu Harbor where they were going to land, the Navy Seals were called in to take a look at beach obstacles, possible landing sights, depth of the ocean before landing, and enemy resistance if any. The waters that they swam through was not exactly clean, there are reports of some Seal teams swimming through raw sewage in the harbor in order to complete their mission. In addition, Seal teams also conducted some on ground survielance, but were short and quick missions.
Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom- Seal teams were and still are being used in the deserts of Afghanistan and Iraq to track down terrorist movements. There isnt much info nor specifics on their operations but they are there mostly to track down, eliminate, and recover intelligence in small amounts of time.

Again, these are the major Operations that these two groups were in. I'm sure there are more Operations that I am not aware of. But for the most part, I now see the difference between a Ranger and Seal clearly.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Your second post was better Brad but we have to convene to the boardroom before we have a verdict.

Nike Cat touched on Robert's Ridge, or Operation Anaconda.......I didn't see that mentioned.
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

[quote="Brad27"]
Operation Restore Hope- When the Marines needed up to date charts and intelligence on the beaches near Mogadishu Harbor where they were going to land, the Navy Seals were called in to take a look at beach obstacles, possible landing sights, depth of the ocean before landing, and enemy resistance if any. The waters that they swam through was not exactly clean, there are reports of some Seal teams swimming through raw sewage in the harbor in order to complete their mission. In addition, Seal teams also conducted some on ground survielance, but were short and quick missions.
quote]

You forgot the mission compromise part, and we all watched them swim ashore on CNN amidst a shitload of cameras. :lol: :lol:
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

C Co, 1/75; 92-00...HHC, 1/75; 00-02
Smiddy
Ranger

Re: Navy Seal training vs. Ranger School

Post by Smiddy »

Brad27 wrote:2 days ago I talked to the local Recruiter about obtaining the Opt. 40 in the upcoming future. He started to lecture me about the rigors and stresses that one is put through in Ranger School. Now what he told me next I wasnt sure was true. He had said, "Ranger School is just as hard as the Navy Seal training, if not harder". Now Im not saying Ranger School is easy, FAR FROM IT, but I was under the impression that the Navy Seals recieve the most difficult training in the world. Was this recruiter bullshiting me or is this really how Ranger School sizes upto the Navy Seals?
Tell your recruiter I said to shut the fuck up!

Let me know if he has issues with that, and I'll PM you my name, rank, unit info, and e-mail so I can discuss it with the lad. What is his MOS?
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

C Co, 1/75; 92-00...HHC, 1/75; 00-02
Brad27
Embryo

Post by Brad27 »

Thank you Ranger BadMuther for pointing that out. Here is a link to a day-by-day timeline of Operation Anaconda. http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020 ... index.html
Nike Cat, you are correct about that Navy Seal falling off the skid plate of the chopper. Here is an article I found. http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/05/17/r ... index.html. RIP.
The main focus of Operation Anaconda was the final push to constrict, surround, and gather up an estimated 500-1000 terrorists in hiding in the Shahi-Kot Valley of Afgahnistan. On March 18, 2002, General Tommy Franks declared Operation Anaconda complete, "an unqualified and complete success", 17 days after Operation Anaconda started.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
Brad27
Embryo

Post by Brad27 »

Ranger Smiddy, the recruiter I had was a master parachutest from the 82nd airborne, and i believe his MOS was Infantry Officer. Im not 100% sure I could be wrong, but I will ask him the next time I see him just to make sure.
-Edmund Burke
Mother_Benning
Ranger

Post by Mother_Benning »

Brad27 wrote:Sorry Ranger Kilted Heathen, I hope this will satisfy you and Ranger BadMuther. Finding and writing all this info took me about 2-3 hours. Please fill me in on things that I have missed or stated wrong.
Army Rangers
Operation Just Cause (Panama)- The 75th Ranger Regiment was tasked with two simultaneous airborne assaults at 0100 on 20 December of 1989. They were to secure Omar Torrijos International Airport/Tocumen military airport complex as well as Rio Hato airfield to clear the way for the 82nd airborne. After that, they were to link-up with the conventional forces for follow up combat missions. It was a success.
Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm- - Im sorry but info on Ranger info during these times was really hard to find. Most articles and websites that I came across just stated that elements of the 75th were there not giving any specific info on their operations.
Operation Restore Hope (Somalia)- In 1992 U.S. forces were deployed into Somalia to help with stabilize the country from a Civil War. Their main target was to capture General Mohamed Farah Aideed. On the Ranger’s seventh mission, the Rangers were to make a joint raid with Delta Force on Aideed’s stronghold and capture two of his key Lieutenants. When an MH-60 Blackhawk was hit by an RPG and crashed, the mission started to fall apart. It only worsened when another Blackhawk was hit by an RPG and crashed less than a mile from the first crash site. Elements of the Ranger Bat. went to secure and setup a perimeter to help rescue the downed helicopter crews. After intense fighting and relentless firefights, the Rangers and Delta Force pulled through and got all their man back. Unfortunately, 17 Rangers lost their lives. RIP. And 106 were wounded.
Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom- In 2001-2003 elements of the 75th Ranger Bat.. were deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq to help fight the war on terror. Unfortunately, operations conducted during this time are hard to find. Sorry.

Navy Seals
Operation Just Cause (Panama)- The Navy Seals were tasked with destroying Noriega’s escape boat and an assault on Patilla airfield. The Navy seals were successful in destroying Noriega’s boat, (they used so much explosives that they never found one of the engines). But the attack on Patilla airfield was a limited success. Even though the Navy Seals destroyed Noriega’s Leer Jet with an AT-4, they sustained massive casualties in the raid. Instead of working in small groups like their used to, they attacked in a large force that they were not taught very well on how to do and the ill prepared plan was not well thought out.
Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm- The Navy Seals conducted many surveillance and reconnaissance missions throughout the war. One of the UDT Seal Teams placed explosives on the beaches of Kuwait to trick the enemy into thinking that US forces were making an amphibious assault onto the beaches. They were successful in deceiving the Iraqis into shifting their defensive positions that allowed the ground forces invading from Saudi Arabia to surround and cutoff the enemy. The Navy Seals were very useful in their reconnaissance missions giving live feed on troop and vehicle movements that were subjected air bombardment.
Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom- Seal teams were and still are being used in the deserts of Afghanistan and Iraq to track down terrorist movements. There isnt much info nor specifics on their operations but they are there mostly to track down, eliminate, and recover intelligence in small amounts of time.

Again, these are the major Operations that these two groups were in. I'm sure there are more Operations that I am not aware of. But for the most part, I now see the difference between a Ranger and Seal clearly.
You skipped over the mission in OEF where the SEAL fell out of the back of a Chinook. It think 1/75 was involved in the recovery.

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”