Running

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
lukey
BANNED

Running

Post by lukey »

Rangers, sorry to bother you all but after some searching on the site I couldn't find the answer to my big problem with running. Do any of you Rangers have any tips on how to control breathing while running? After half a mile I start panting like crazy. I don't feel tired at all, no cramps, I just feel extremely out of breath. I'm 6' and weigh 187 pounds, could it just be because I'm a fatboy or I lack stamina? I read a post from Ranger Flesh Thorn about slowing down but when we're doing Indian runs at Future Soldier PT and the borderline obese DEPpers are perfectly fine after a mile and I'm panting like crazy it makes me wonder if I just have some running disability.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Running

Post by Steadfast »

Disclaimer: 1st before anything else have you discused this problem you've been experiencing with your personal physican? And what does he say is wrong with you. Just because we have Medic's on site doesn't mean we (ArmyRanger.com) are responsible for determing if you are fit or not fit for enlisting into todays military.
If you've been cleared by your physican and are running with (medical okay) then
Lets see, mmm, Lukey's been on AR. Com two weeks and you've Searched & have already been doing Ranger Silverback's "Killer Sprint Work" Sticky for over two weeks and have experienced ZERO improvement in you running OR you haven't bothered to read/research any of stickies posted? What type of running program are you doing presently lukey?

When I was a young - running from sunlight to after sunset -that's about 12+hours daily - I used breathing excercises, like resting while running full speed. If you run enough you would know what I am talking of. Xbox or Playstation athletes are considered couch potato's with Zero athlethic ability & has no 2d breath.

lukey wrote:Rangers, sorry to bother you all but after some searching on the site I couldn't find the answer to my big problem with running. Do any of you Rangers have any tips on how to control breathing while running? After half a mile I start panting like crazy. I don't feel tired at all, no cramps, I just feel extremely out of breath. I'm 6' and weigh 187 pounds, could it just be because I'm a fatboy or I lack stamina? I read a post from Ranger Flesh Thorn about slowing down but when we're doing Indian runs at Future Soldier PT and the borderline obese DEPpers are perfectly fine after a mile and I'm panting like crazy it makes me wonder if I just have some running disability.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

Ranger Steadfast I can assure you I am perfectly healthy and qualified to be in the Army, I just don't run at all and have only recently started a running program. Right now my goal is to just run a mile without stopping, which I can do but I'd like to do it without feeling dead afterwards. I have seen Ranger Silverback's sprint work thread and have saved it on my phone but I'm not sure what it's supposed to achieve. Endurance or speed?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

lukey wrote:Ranger Steadfast I can assure you I am perfectly healthy and qualified to be in the Army, I just don't run at all and have only recently started a running program. Right now my goal is to just run a mile without stopping, which I can do but I'd like to do it without feeling dead afterwards. I have seen Ranger Silverback's sprint work thread and have saved it on my phone but I'm not sure what it's supposed to achieve. Endurance or speed?
You are all over the street with your comments. You say you are healthy. OK, that's a good start. You say you are just beginning to run and that you don't run at all. So why are you surprised that you are short of breath at the end of the first mile? Downloading Silverback's sprint work thread onto your phone will not do you any good. You need to follow the instructions and actually run. Have you discussed this with anyone? Or just posted it here? Get out and run and you will improve; post here and whine, and you won't improve.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

Roger, Ranger Jim.
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

You are out of breath and panting because as you stated, you don't run. So the easy answer to make yourself stop panting while running is to run more. And when you are running, actually run. Don't do the half assed shuffle jog because the only thing it will do for you is chap your ass.
Step 2 is turn your mind off. Your body will out run anything it needs to as long as your mind doesn't throw in the towel because you have some discomfort. Mental toughness is something most of the younger generation is severely lacking in.
That's it. The secret of running in a nut shell.

If you want to focus on a breathing pattern, then try breathing with your stride. For example, I used to pattern my breathing as 2 short inhales, 1 long exhale. That would take 3 strides. That was sustainable for me at any pace short of a full out balls to the wall sprint. That generally carried me a sub 13 minute 2 mile run time. And I'm short and fat.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

Thank you Ranger fatboy, I will continue running and see how I progress.
rgrleo
Ranger

Post by rgrleo »

There is no big secret to running unless you are talking about track and field competition. As you run you just have to simply push through the urge to stop and as you continue you get what we call a second wind or breath. It is like sifting your transmission from first to high gear. The most necessary part of being a Ranger is that we do not quit. So you need to have the mind set that you will not give up, period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B/75 1973 - 74
B/1/75 74 - 75
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

Roger, Ranger rgrleo. Thank you for the reply. I see Rangers post on here daily to never quit and I can honestly say those words on a computer screen have effected me and I have begun to apply that mentality to my every day life.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Running (topic locked)

Post by Steadfast »

lukey wrote:Roger, Ranger rgrleo. Thank you for the reply. I see Rangers post on here daily to never quit and I can honestly say those words on a computer screen have effected me and I have begun to apply that mentality to my every day life.
But lukey it's too late you've already admitted lying to Ranger Jim on a open board in your introduction. You have lost your intergrity. I'm going to lock this topic & please do not start any more posts until - you know there aren't anymore until's - you are not going to be allowed to stay. In our eyes who could depend on you for their lives - how would we know that you're not lying. No one (of our Rangers) can trust you.
You came here of you own accord and you can leave that way by yourself. There really is nothing else to say.
*** Topic locked. ***
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “About Army Physical Training”