Crusty Old Vet (+50) Workout

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
rangerjd
Ranger

Crusty Old Vet (+50) Workout

Post by rangerjd »

After my workout tonight I thought of posting this.
You do not have to be over 50 to do this workout, but if you are a 25 year old stud, with a perfect body, and still have all your cartilage in your knees, I don't need you giving me instructions on how to improve my push ups. You are still welcome to join in.

I will be covering weight and body weight workouts. I like many of you am a Disabled Vet whose knees and body don't always work like we want them to. I no longer run, My wife (51) and I(53) try to walk 3 to 4 time a week, 2 to 5 miles depending on time and how we feel. When we walk we walk the hills, this is Washington state.

Almost every workout I will post, I plan for both my wife and myself. They can be adapted to any fitness level. I used a barbell this time but you can use dumbbells if you want, it's up to you. I have in the past.

When you start a new weight program, start light and slowly build up over time. Leave your ego at home.

I do workouts, not workouts of the day. When I workout, I plan 1 or 2 workouts and do them for 6 to 12 weeks or longer if I'm still progressing.

I do these workout on three nonconsecutive days a week.

Okay, here's the workout I did tonight.
1. I start each workout with a 15 minute warm up and stretch.
2. 5 sets of 5 reps of power clean, front squat and overhead press
a. 1st set is a warm up, go light, I use just the Olympic bar. Execute a power clean, drop down into a front squat and then as you come out of the squat push into an overhead press. Lower the bar and then repeat 4 more time. When I don't have big enough plates on I lower the bar to the middle of my shins and then explode up again. Once I have big enough plates on then I rest the bar momentarily on the ground and then explode up unto my next rep. Rest 2 to 3 minutes or whatever it takes to recoup.
b. 2nd set add a little more weight depending on fitness level and repeat 5 more reps
c. 3rd through 5th set add just enough weight so that you can COMPLETE 3 more sets of five reps. You want to complete all reps using the same amount of weight. Don't go to muscle failure, you will hurt yourself. Every workout you want to add 5 pounds to you last 3 sets. Make sure you make your all your reps every workout. If you miss a rep, don't add weight the next time.
3. Once you complete all 5 sets rest for 2 minutes, then do 100 push ups in as few, or as many set as you need. If you need to drop it to 50 then do so.
4. Once you complete your push ups do 30 pull ups in as few as sets as you can.
5. That's it, took me about 45 minutes to complete. If you want a quicker workout, just do push ups one workout and pull ups the next. Remember add no more than 5 pound each workout.
6. I did not enter any weight here and I don't expect you to post any either, this is not a gut check or a competition. It is simply a way for a bunch of old and older guys to stay in shape. We have lost way to many lately. Let's try to keep everybody else around for a while.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Crusty Old Vet (+50) Workout

Post by rangerjd »

I was one of those guys who let myself go. I was 5'9 180 lbs when I retired. 12 years later I was 250lbs. My daughter took a picture of me at a horse show and I completely filled the saddle, if you know what I mean. I started lifting weights, I now weight 210 lbs, I've got more muscle right now than I ever had in the army because most everything I did in the army was body weight and a lot of running and rucking. I've started lifting lighter weight because I would like to get down to about to about 190 to 200. I think my legs would feel better. I get addicted to lifting heavy weight and then I gain weight, I know muscle weighs more than fat, but just the weight itself I think is starting to cause more pain in my joints. I'm not much of a drinker, the last drink I had was at the 2/75 Ranger anniversary in Oct and I had one sip of bear just to say I had a drink with the boys. My wife is kind of a health fanatic, she works out all the time and eats right. The eating right really helps. Lots of good meat, with leafy greens and veggies, stay off the sugars and processed foods and drink lots of water. Thanks for your comments.
Ranger Class 8-82
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Crusty Old Vet (+50) Workout

Post by rangerjd »

I did my workouts on Tue, Thurs and Saturday of last week. I didn't have as much time to workout on Saturday so I tweaked the workout a little. I still did 5 sets of 5 reps of power cleans, front squat and press and then I rested 3 minutes. Why 3 minutes, 'cause I was smoked that's why. :lol:
Then I did 2 sets of pushups/max, then 2 sets of pullups/max. That gave my 30 minutes of anaerobic workout. I'm liking this workout done this way. Normally I do 5 sets of power cleans, then 5 sets squats, then 5 sets of cleans, but I'm liking this progression. Not able to go as heavy on the power cleans as usual, because I'm not putting the Barbell down between exercises, but I feel like it's working me really good.
Ranger Class 8-82
Retired 95

Return to “About Army Physical Training”