Roadmarching Practice

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Re: Roadmarching Practice

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

I'd recommend going with the old school alice pack bud...

The price will be right, and if it's a loaner, that's even better.

At 16 you've got plenty of time, and still have some growing to do as well.

I'd recommend doing 3 walks a week with a light ruck of about 45 pounds. Do a minimum of 30 minutes twice a week, and do one at an hour or more. This will toughen your feet and shoulders without causing adverse effects imo. Every month or so do a twelve miler with a goal of completion within 3 hours.

Ruckin' can be good for general health as well as military necessity.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

My best advice? Don't buy a cheap backpack.

I only quit backpacking a few years ago in my late 50's when my legs could no longer take it. For the last 10 years I used a Gregory Shasta, a marvel of ergonomic engineering. It's a frameless pack that can easily carry 55 lb. or more and distribute the load efficiently enough and hug that load into your body's contours tightly enough that moderate climbing without worrying about load shifting is well within ones capability while wearing it. I believe Gregory designs the finest backpacks available and a lot of people I've met out on the trails agree.

Save some bucks and do it right. Get a pack that fits like a glove. I can't overemphasize how important that is. I'm 6' 1" but have 32" legs thus my waist is about 1 1/2" longer than most people my height. None of Gregory's standard sizes fit me so I drove down to their factory in Sacramento and they measured me up like I was in a fine tailor's shop. They made the pack that afternoon and charged me the exact same price I would have paid for a standard Gregory in a mountaineering shop back in the early 90's: $275

You're 16? Think about this: all Gregory backpacks come with a lifetime warranty...and they mean it!

Photo: Sally, the best backpacking buddy an old Ranger ever had wearing her own custom-made Wolfpack ruck. She was a huge help on long outings, carrying about 18 lbs. on average -her own food, water, some of my food, and the tent. She's sitting next to my loaded Gregory Shasta. This was day 1 of a 4-day 72 mile round trip on the Lost Coast Trail.

L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

FreedomXforAll wrote:Thank you all for your quick replies. Ranger Hobbit: I will be looking into Gregory packs very soon. $275 seems like a reasonable price.
That was the price in 1991. Check out ebay. You can probably find a nice used Gregory pack for less than $150.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Jim Diegz
Embryo

Post by Jim Diegz »

Quick question in regards to rucking. I currently own an adjustable weighted vest that goes up to 50 lbs and evenly distributes the weight around the front and back bearing the majority of the load on my core muscles instead of my back. Would you Rangers advise against training with the vest? I'm trying to decide whether or not I need to pick up a standard ruck for better preparation. Thanks!
blackbird777
US Army Veteran

Post by blackbird777 »

i do 6-12 miles every week rain snow or shine in jump boots with ripple soles very compfy. i go on county land 1500 acres open to public but its very primitive up hills and down them cross alot of creeks up to waist deep not for pussies. but i love it it keeps me in check
blackbird777
US Army Veteran

Post by blackbird777 »

i use an old army large alice pack 50 lbs
EAT III
Ranger

Re: Road marching Practice

Post by EAT III »

blackbird777 wrote:i do 6-12 miles every week rain snow or shine in jump boots with ripple soles very compfy. i go on county land 1500 acres open to public but its very primitive up hills and down them cross alot of creeks up to waist deep not for pussies. but i love it it keeps me in check
Advising or admitting to Road Marching in "JUMP BOOTS" is not something a ground pounder would do :shock: Please elaborate on your experience.
RLTW!
A/1/75 86-88
RS 10-86
612th (AD)(Heavy Drop) 83-86
Lrsd 25th ID 88-90
151Inf Det (LRS)(ABN) current
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

EAT III wrote:
blackbird777 wrote:i do 6-12 miles every week rain snow or shine in jump boots with ripple soles very compfy. i go on county land 1500 acres open to public but its very primitive up hills and down them cross alot of creeks up to waist deep not for pussies. but i love it it keeps me in check
Advising or admitting to Road Marching in "JUMP BOOTS" is not something a ground pounder would do :shock: Please elaborate on your experience.
x2.

Jump Boots? Really?
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

centermass wrote:Jump Boots? Really?
That's gonna build character. Not knees, ankles, inner or outer thigh muscles and he won't have to worry about ingrown toenails after those leather caps have cut his toes off. :roll:
But they'll look damn pretty on parade.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
blackbird777
US Army Veteran

Post by blackbird777 »

yeah yeah i know alot of ppl wear jungle boots or the basic leather boot but ive tried them all and for me jump boots are the most comfortable. and my boots beat to shit so no parades in them! lol

Return to “About Army Physical Training”