APFT Score - Personal Motivation

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
JoeDGrinder
Future Soldier/ 18 Series

APFT Score - Personal Motivation

Post by JoeDGrinder »

Hello, so I am posting this as a personal motivator for myself to improve my PT and also, in the hopes of receiving any help and advice from the Rangers or others on this site to improve my fitness. I have 6 months or so until I will be attending OSUT and I want to be scoring over a 270 on the APFT before then. I will be posting my APFT scores every week as a motivation to myself to improve, so without further adieu my first scores

Pushups: 7
Sit Ups: 42
2-mile Run: 20:07
APFT: 43 (I believe was the score)

See you all in a week.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: APFT Score - Personal Motivation

Post by Silverback »

JoeDGrinder wrote:Hello, so I am posting this as a personal motivator for myself to improve my PT and also, in the hopes of receiving any help and advice from the Rangers or others on this site to improve my fitness. I have 6 months or so until I will be attending OSUT and I want to be scoring over a 270 on the APFT before then. I will be posting my APFT scores every week as a motivation to myself to improve, so without further adieu my first scores

See you all in a week.
Maybe twice a month would be a better format?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:
JoeDGrinder wrote:Hello, so I am posting this as a personal motivator for myself to improve my PT and also, in the hopes of receiving any help and advice from the Rangers or others on this site to improve my fitness. I have 6 months or so until I will be attending OSUT and I want to be scoring over a 270 on the APFT before then. I will be posting my APFT scores every week as a motivation to myself to improve, so without further adieu my first scores

See you all in a week.
Maybe twice a month would be a better format?
Agree. It provides a better opportunity for your body to absorb the impact of increased stress.
Last edited by Jim on November 18th, 2008, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
JoeDGrinder

Post by JoeDGrinder »

Thank you Ranger Silverback, I will switch to a twice a month format which will be this sunday for the halfway point as these scores are from 11-02.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

See you all in a week.
This program may be of benefit to you:

http://hundredpushups.com/

It is a fairly good program if you use it correctly. I doubt if you will be able to do 100 push ups in six weeks, but it may help you knock out 56 by the time you leave.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Your push-up performance should improve dramatically. Reachng your goal is very possible, but it will be up to you to aheive it. One thing you could do is perform pushups from a position on your knees instead of your feet. These will be easier, but you will get more more repetitions. When you can't do any more regular push-ups, then drop to your knees a squeeze out of few of these. Another thing you could do to help improve your chest, shoulder and upper arm strength is some weighlifting, like bench pressing. Find a weight you can do 10 reps with and when you can do 12 or 13 reps with that weight, increase it and when you can get 12 or 13 reps, increase the weight again. Do you find that your back begins sagging? If so, perform "planks." If you don't know what they are, Google it.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
JoeDGrinder

Post by JoeDGrinder »

Ranger Flesh Thorn,
Thank you for the link and I will check it out to see if it can help me improve.

Ranger Ranger Bill,
Thank you for your advice. I do have some problems with my back sagging but mainly it is my chest/arms failing on me. I have begun a weight lifting routine that seems to be helping, and I will continue to strive to be the best I can.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Just curious; what's your height and weight?
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
JoeDGrinder

Post by JoeDGrinder »

Ranger Zonk 1/75,
Thank you for the words of encouragement, I am striving to not waste any of my time so I can be the best prepared before training.

Ranger PocketKings,
I am 6'4" and 178lbs, at last height/weight check.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I figured you were either a skinny dude or a fat dude. At least we don't have to worry about you needing to drop 25lbs.

Well. Get working. :D
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Took some guts to post those numbers. Good on you and good on your honesty. As the boys alluded to, no obstacle is too big to overcome and men have done it before. Drive on. 8)
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
JoeDGrinder

Post by JoeDGrinder »

Ranger Tenn-RGR & Ranger PocketKings
Lord am I trying to eat. I am currently a Resident Advisor and a Senior at GMU so I did not need a meal plan. This semester out of the blue I got roped into Crew and a great opportunity with the Army came up so my PT really got started and the measly food I can cook in a room is not enough to even meet half my minimum caloric intake. I am switching to a meal plan next semester to get the food I need but as is I am having a hard time gaining weight or getting much stronger due to being constantly hungry. Soon I will be forced to either eat my residents or start confiscating any food I see entering my Hall.

Ranger Rock Island Ranger,
Yes sir, I will be hopefully doubling and halving some of those numbers this weekend.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:6 months is plenty of time to reach your goals. Just don't squander your time and work hard.

Good luck............. 8)
'' Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ''
attributed to Seneca,
Roman dramatist, philosopher, & politician (5 BC - 65 AD)

Great words to live by, whoever said it. Make the best use of all of your upcoming preparations and opportunities so that luck will always find you. 8)
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I was about a skeleton when I enlisted, with two pounds to spare to meet the minimum height/weight ratio!
My p/u scores weren't much better, but it took hardly any time at all - without any special effort on my part beyond annoying the drill sergeants who assigned me plenty of "remedial" push-ups - to get up over 50 good ones.
Things is, assuming you're under 21, your numbers will skyrocket. Just get the proper rest & diet.
And make damn sure you stretch properly to avoid disqualifying injuries, especially before running.
You'll have to do enough dumb stuff after you arrive so don't take chances now.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “About Army Physical Training”